2010 FC, 2010 FC 1158
Opinion
Federal Court Cour fédérale Date: 20101118 Docket: IMM-5599-09 Citation: 2010 FC 1158 Ottawa , Ontario, November 18, 2010 PRESENT: The Honourable Madam Justice Heneghan BETWEEN: JUAN FRANCISCO CORTES RUZ Applicant and THE MINISTER OF CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION Respondent REASONS FOR ORDER AND ORDER [ 1 ] Mr. Juan Francisco Cortes Ruz (the Applicant) seeks judicial review of the decision of a visa officer at the Canadian Embassy in Mexico , denying him a permanent resident visa as a member of the family class. The decision in question was made on September 29, 2009. [ 2 ] The Applicant is a citizen of Mexico .
In June 1998, he came to Canada as a visitor. In March 2001, he claimed refugee protection. In his sworn Personal Information Form (the PIF), he claimed a fear based on his former involvement with street gangs in Mexico . He did not attend his refugee hearing and the claim was declared abandoned. [ 3 ] On November 20, 2004, the Applicant met his future spouse. He proposed marriage on February 14, 2005, before being deported from Canada on February 28, 2005. The Applicant married his spouse in Mexico on May 21, 2005. In June 2005, he submitted an application for a permanent resident visa.
He was found inadmissible pursuant to paragraph 37(1) (
a) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act , S.C. 2001, c. 27 (the Act), due to his membership in a criminal organization, that is the street gangs that he mentioned in his PIF. In the course of that application, the Applicant did not amend his PIF. He only attempted to orally contradict its contents when he was interviewed about the PIF by a visa officer in Mexico . [ 4 ] The Applicant was granted leave to judicially review the decision of the visa officer relative to the refusal of his permanent resident visa application.
By Judgment dated April 12, 2007, the application was dismissed by Justice Phelan; see Cortes Ruz v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration) , 2007 FC 380 . With respect to the visa officers credibility findings, Justice Phelan held that the timing of
the change in his story was critical to the credibility finding; Ruz, paragraph 9. In other words, the Court found that the change in thestory, when convenient, was a reasonable basis to raise concerns about the Applicants credibility. [5] The Applicant submitted a second application for a permanent resident visa in August 2007. He was interviewed to addressthe prior inadmissibility findings and again, he was found to be inadmissible pursuant paragraph 37(1)(
a) of the Act. [6] With the application for permanent residence, the Applicant submitted new evidence to show that his PIF could not beaccurate.
He provided school records and employment documents that purported to show that at the time of his alleged involvement instreet gangs, he could not have been where the street gang was operating according to his PIF. [7] In this application for judicial review, the Applicant has proposed a single issue: Did the Canadian Embassy commit reviewable errors of law by failing to consider the submissions and evidence that demonstrated thatthe statements in the PIF were false, and by stating that there was no evidence to indicate what was written in the PIF was not genuine? [8] In the decision in Dunsmuir v.
New Brunswick, 2008 SCC 9 , [2008] 1 S.C.R. 190, paragraph 43, the SupremeCourt of Canada stated that decisions of administrative decision-makers are reviewable on one of two standards, that is correctness orreasonableness.
The standard of reasonableness also applies to the process by which the decision was reached, that is reasonableness isconcerned mostly with the existence of justification, transparency and intelligibility within the decision-making process; Dunsmuir,paragraph 47. [9] As well, in Dunsmuir, the Supreme Court said that when the jurisprudence has established the standard of review applicableto a particular type of decision, that standard of review should be adopted. It is established that decisions of visa officers are reviewableon the standard of reasonableness; see Thomas v.
Canada (Minister of Citizenship & Immigration) (2009), 85 Imm. L.R. (3d) 133 (FC). Accordingly, the decision of the visa officer in this case will be reviewed on the standard of reasonableness. [10] The Applicant was found to be inadmissible pursuant to paragraph 37(1)(
a) of the Act which provides as follows: Organized criminality 37.
(1) A permanent resident or aforeign national is inadmissibleon grounds of organizedcriminality for (
a) being a member of anorganization that is believed onreasonable grounds to be or tohave been engaged in activitythat is part of a pattern ofcriminal activity planned andorganized by a number ofpersons acting in concert infurtherance of the commission ofan offence punishable under anAct of Parliament by way ofindictment, or in furtherance ofthe commission of an offenceoutside Canada that, if committedin Canada, would constitute suchan offence, or engaging inactivity that is part of such apattern; or Activités de criminalité organisée 37.
(1) Emportent interdiction deterritoire pour criminalitéorganisée les faits suivants :
a) être membre dune organisationdont il y a des motifsraisonnables de croire quelle selivre ou sest livrée à des activitésfaisant
partie dun plan dactivitéscriminelles organisées parplusieurs personnes agissant deconcert en vue de la perpétrationdune infraction à une loi fédéralepunissable par mise en accusationou de la perpétration, hors duCanada, dune infraction qui,commise au Canada, constitueraitune telle infraction, ou se livrer àdes activités faisant
partie dun telplan; [11] A belief on reasonable grounds, for the purposes of paragraph 37(1)(
a) of the Act, must be based on credible evidence. I agreewith that submission of the Applicant. He also argued that his PIF was not credible and accordingly, it could not be the basis of
reasonable grounds for the purposes of paragraph 37(1)(
a) of the Act. [ 12 ] In my opinion, the visa officer should not be precluded from relying upon the PIF, as long as the balance of the evidence is considered as well. A PIF is a sworn document which should carry the same weight as any other sworn document. In the face of evidence that contradicts the PIF, the officer must weigh the other evidence that contradicts the PIF. [ 13 ] The Applicant further submitted that the officer erred by stating that there was no evidence to discart ( sic ) that what was declared in the PIF was not genuine.
This statement is found in the Computer Assisted Immigration Processing System (CAIPS) notes. [ 14 ] The Applicant submitted additional documentary evidence that contradicted his PIF when he submitted his most recent application for a permanent resident visa. When invited to attend the interview on March 20, 2009, the Applicant was asked to bring documents demonstrating all his activities during the time he has declared ( sic ) he was working or studying.
However, he did not bring any additional evidence to the interview. [ 15 ] It is reasonable to conclude that when reviewing the CAIPS notes, in the context of the chronology of events, that the officers comment related to what happened at the interview. The Applicant did not present further documents at the interview. I reject the Applicants submissions that this brief reference in CAIPS notes means that the officer ignored 59 pages of submissions.
Having regard to all of the circumstances, it is reasonable to find that this statement relates to the context of the interview. [ 16 ] The CAIPS notes contain the statement by the visa officer that I presented my concerns to the subject during the interview but subject was unable to provide additional information. This notation indicates that the Applicant was informed of the officers concerns, at the interview.
When considering the CAIPS notes, the Applicants sworn PIF and the outcome of his initial application for a permanent resident visa, I am satisfied that the Applicant was given an intelligible explanation for the refusal of his visa. [ 17 ] The visa officer committed no reviewable error and there is no basis for judicial intervention in the decision. The application for judicial review will be dismissed. ORDER THIS COURT ORDERS that this application for judicial review is dismissed, no question for certification arising. E.
Heneghan Judge FEDERAL COURT SOLICITORS OF RECORD DOCKET: IMM-5599-09 STYLE OF CAUSE: JUAN FRANCISCO CORTES RUZ v.
THE MINISTER OF CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION PLACE OF HEARING: Toronto , ON DATE OF HEARING: July 13, 2010 REASONS FOR ORDER AND ORDER: HENEGHAN J. DATED: November 18, 2010 APPEARANCES : Paul VanderVennen FOR THE APPLICANT Manuel Mendelzon FOR THE RESPONDENT SOLICITORS OF RECORD : VanderVennen Lehrer Barristers and Solicitors Toronto, ON FOR THE APPLICANT Myles J. Kirvan Deputy Attorney General of Canada Toronto , ON FOR THE RESPONDENT