ALDO GARCIA FLORES MARGARITA SARAHI LUNA SALAZAR Applicants v. THE MINISTER OF CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION, 2023 FC 82
Opinion
Date: 20230119 Docket: IMM-7188-21 Citation: 2023 FC 82 St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador, January 19, 2023 PRESENT: The Honourable Madam Justice Heneghan BETWEEN:ALDO GARCIA FLORES MARGARITA SARAHI LUNA SALAZARApplicantsandTHE MINISTER OF CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATIONRespondent REASONS AND JUDGMENT [1] Mr. Aldo Garcia Flores (the “Principal Applicant”) and his wife Margarita Sarahi Luna Salazar (collectively the “Applicants”) seekjudicial review of the decision of the Immigration and Refugee Board, Refugee Appeal Division (the “RAD”).
In that decision, the RADdismissed their appeal from the decision of the Immigration and Refugee Board, Refugee Protection Division (the “RPD”), denying theirapplication for protection in Canada as Convention refugees or persons in need or protection, pursuant to
section 96 and subsection 97(1)of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, C. 2001, c. 27 (the “Act”). [2] The Applicants are citizens of Mexico, residing in Guadalajara. The Principal Applicant advanced a claim based upon a fear ofpersecution from the Cartel de Jalisco Nueva Generacion (“CJNG”). He alleged that this group murdered his father, a lawyer, and othermembers of the law firm in 2008.
He alleged that in 2014, when he and his brother sought information about the 2008 killings, hisbrother and uncle were murdered. [3] In 2015, the Principal Applicant abandoned his law school studies and undertook training as a pilot. [4] In 2017 and 2018, the Principal Applicant visited Canada. He did not claim protection at that time. He returned to Mexico. [5] The Principal Applicant married his wife on August 31, 2019, in Mexico.
On the day after the wedding, a pig’s head and a funeralwreath addressed to the Principal Applicant were delivered to his wife’s home. [6] The Principal Applicant reported these incidents to the police who advised him to leave the country. The Applicants left Mexico andarrived in Canada in September 2019. They filed their claim for protection on November 14, 2019. [7] The RPD dismissed the claim on the grounds that an Internal Flight Alternative (“IFA”) was available to the Applicants in Campecheand Merida, Mexico.
The RAD confirmed this conclusion, upon reviewing the record from the RPD and after declining to acceptdocuments tendered by the Applicants as new evidence. [8] The Applicants now argue that the RAD unreasonably refused to admit new evidence and unreasonably found that an IFA wasavailable to them in Campeche and Merida. [9] The Minister of Citizenship and Immigration (the “Respondent”) submits that the RAD’s decision was reasonable, both with respectto denying the acceptance of new evidence and on the merits of the Applicants’ claim. [10] The decision of the RAD is reviewable upon the standard of reasonableness, in light of the decision of the Supreme Court of Canadain Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) v.
Vavilov, 2019 SCC 65 , [2019] 4 S.C.R. 653. [11] In considering reasonableness, the Court is to ask if the decision under review ""bears the hallmarks of reasonableness —justification, transparency and intelligibility — and whether it is justified in relation to the relevant factual and legal constraints that bearon the decision""; see Vavilov, supra at paragraph 99. [12] In my opinion, the dispositive issue in this application for judicial review is the RAD’s finding about an IFA. [13] The test for an IFA, following the decision of the Federal Court of Appeal in Rasaratnam v.
Canada (Minister of Employment andImmigration), (FCA), [1992] 1 F.C. 706 at 710-711, is two-fold as follows: First, the Board must be satisfied that there is no serious possibility of a claimant being persecuted in the IFA; andSecond, it must be objectively reasonable to expect a claimant to seek safety in a different part of the country before seekingprotection in Canada. [14] In order to show that an IFA is unreasonable, an applicant must show that conditions in the proposed IFA would jeopardize life andsafety in travelling or relocating to that IFA; see Thirunavukkarasu v.
Canada (Minister of Employment and Immigration), (FCA), [1994] 1 F.C. 589 at 596-598 (Fed. C.A.). [15] The Applicants’ submissions that the RAD erred in its conclusions under the first prong of the IFA test are persuasive.
[ 16 ] The RAD found that the CJNG lacks the means and motivation to locate the Applicants since it had not targeted the Principal Applicant’s mother. This finding is unreasonable because, in my opinion, it is not supported by the evidence. [ 17 ] It is not necessary for me to address the RAD’s conclusion under the second part of the test. Likewise, it is not necessary for me to address the arguments about the RAD’s refusal to accept new evidence. [ 18 ] In my opinion, the RAD’s finding as to the first prong of the IFA test is unreasonable.
The application for judicial review will be allowed, the decision of the RAD will be set aside and the matter remitted to a differently constituted panel of the RAD for redetermination. There is no question for certification. JUDGMENT in IMM-7188-21 THIS COURT’S JUDGMENT is that the application for judicial review is allowed, the decision of the Immigration and Refugee Board, Refugee Appeal Division, is set aside and the matter remitted to a differently constituted panel for redetermination. There is no question for certification. “E.
Heneghan” Judge FEDERAL COURT SOLICITORS OF RECORD DOCKET: IMM-7188-21 STYLE OF CAUSE: ALDO GARCIA FLORES ET AL. v. THE MINISTER OF CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION PLACE OF HEARING: HELD BY WAY OF VIDEOCONFERENCE DATE OF HEARING: NOVEMBER 22, 2022 REASONS AND JUDGMENT: HENEGHAN J. DATED: JANUARY 19, 2023 APPEARANCES : Elisabeth Arcila FOR THE APPLICANTS Aleksandra Lipska FOR THE RESPONDENT SOLICITORS OF RECORD : Arcila Immigration Law Toronto, Ontario FOR THE APPLICANTS Attorney General of Canada Toronto, Ontario FOR THE RESPONDENT