LASZLO ISTVAN BURANDIK v. IREN BURANDIK, 2011 FC 686
Opinion
Federal Court Cour fédérale Date: 20110614 Docket: IMM-75-11 Citation: 2011 FC 686 Ottawa, Ontario , June 14, 2011 PRESENT: The Honourable Mr. Justice Harrington BETWEEN: LASZLO ISTVAN BURANDIK AND IREN BURANDIK Applicants and THE MINISTER OF CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION Respondent REASONS FOR ORDER AND ORDER [ 1 ] The basis of Mr. and Mrs Burandik’s claim for refugee status is that he was persecuted in Hungary because of his Jewish faith. He submits that this persecution would continue were he returned there.
The member of the Refugee Division of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Board who dismissed their claim was somewhat ambiguous as to whether she accepted that Mr. Burandik is Jewish. She found that he would not be perceived to be Jewish and that, in any event, Budapest was both a viable internal flight alternative and a place which offered state protection. ISSUES [ 2 ] The issues which arise in this judicial review of that decision are: a. Was the finding that Mr. Burandik would not be perceived to be Jewish reasonable? b.
Was the finding that Budapest was an internal flight alternative predicated on the assumption that Mr. Burandik would not be perceived to be Jewish? c. Was the finding that Budapest was an internal flight alternative reasonable should he be perceived to be Jewish? d. Was the finding that state protection was available in Budapest predicated on the assumption that Mr. Burandik would not be
perceived to be Jewish? e. Was the finding that state protection would be available in Budapest reasonable should he be perceived to be Jewish? STANDARD OF REVIEW [3] It is common ground that the decision is to be reviewed against the standard of reasonableness.
The issue is not whether Iagree with the decision, but rather whether it meets the standard summarized in Dunsmuir v New Brunswick, 2008 SCC 9, [2008] 1 SCR190, where it was said at paragraph 47: Reasonableness is a deferential standard animated by the principle that underlies the development of the two previous standards ofreasonableness: certain questions that come before administrative tribunals do not lend themselves to one specific, particular result. Instead, they may give rise to a number of possible, reasonable conclusions.
Tribunals have a margin of appreciation within the range ofacceptable and rational solutions. A court conducting a review for reasonableness inquires into the qualities that make a decisionreasonable, referring both to the process of articulating the reasons and to outcomes. In judicial review, reasonableness is concernedmostly with the existence of justification, transparency and intelligibility within the decision-making process. But it is also concernedwith whether the decision falls within a range of possible, acceptable outcomes which are defensible in respect of the facts and law.
CREDIBILITY [4] Questions posed by the member during the board hearing reflect a concern as to whether Mr. Burandik is in fact Jewish. Heprovided no corroboration whatsoever from any synagogue or Jewish organization in Hungary. His faith, or Jewish state of mind,developed from his grandparents, who raised him until he was 12. They were not born Jewish, but converted. He does not know whethertheir conversion was official. When he was 12, he returned to live with his parents who were not Jewish.
He never joined any Jewishorganization because of a fear of persecution. [5] Even in Canada, he has never set foot in a synagogue. For the two months leading up to his hearing, he attended services atthe Crown of Messiah, a messianic congregation based in Prince Albert. According to documents Mr. Burandik provided, thecongregation describes itself as: Shalom!
We’re a messianic congregation of Jews and gentiles who are disciples of the Messiah Yeshua and lovers of God’s Torah. [6] There is nothing in the record from religious authorities as to where this congregation fits in the religious spectrum, but I notethat “Yeshua” is the Aramaic name for Jesus. [7] In his Personal Information Form, Mr. Burandik set forth why he fears the Hungarian Guard, skinheads, and indeedHungarians at large.
He described a number of incidents which took place over many years in various places in Hungary, not only inKomaron where he primarily lived, but also in Budapest. [8] He testified that his name would not be perceived in Hungary as an indicator of his Jewish faith. He suggested thatanonymous people attacked him because he had told some of these so-called friends he was Jewish. It turns out, however, that his so-called friends were from a far-right faction and passed the word on to others.
The member had difficulty accepting this explanation. [9] The member found that anti-Semitism is present in Hungary and growing. Anti-Semitic rhetoric flows from the Jobbikpolitical party and from many individuals. However, violence is extremely rare. There is some risk in public Jewish settings. [10] The crucial credibility finding is at paragraph 29 of the decision: The principal claimant, Mr. Laslo Burandik, claims many incidents of violence in Komarom. This may be the case, but it is evidencethat is completely at odds with the country documentation as to anti-Semitic acts toward individuals.
So I find that there may be otherreasons for why the claimant was attacked. But be that as it may, I find, based on the objective evidence in this case, the claimants wouldnot be at serious risk of persecution or harm in Budapest, for the following reasons. [11] There is a rebuttable presumption that Mr. Burandik was telling the truth (Maldonado v Canada (Minister of Employment andImmigration), (FCA), [1980] 2 FC 302, 31 NR 34 (FCA)).
[12] In the end-result, the member did not disbelieve Mr. Burandik’s claim that he is Jewish, but attributed the violent attacks andjob discrimination to some other unknown cause. Graffiti was plastered on walls but this in and of itself does not constitute persecution. [13] In the circumstances, I am left to deal with the findings that Mr. Burandik is Jewish and that he was subjected to violence anddiscrimination, but that, for the most part, those who acted against him were not aware that he was Jewish. These findings were notunreasonable.
INTERNAL FLIGHT ALTERNATIVE AND STATE PROTECTION [14] The decision maker found “but be that as it may…” the claimants would not be at serious risk of persecution or harm inBudapest. I take this to mean that they would not be at serious risk even if perceived to be Jewish. [15] The applicants rely most strongly on the advanced unedited version of the United Nations Human Rights Committee Reportof 25 October 2010 in which the Committee expressed concern at virulent and widespread anti-Roma statements, and indications ofrising anti-Semitism.
It recommended that more specific measures should be taken, including prosecution of members of the MagyarGuarda, which by that point had already been disbanded by government order. [16] It was submitted that this report, which was referred to by the member, trumps all the other reports to which she also referred.In my view, I am being asked to reweigh the evidence. The member referred to a number of reports, including the United StatesDepartment of State Country Report dated March 2010.
She found that, in the main, police investigated the incidents and made arrests.Incidents of attacks on individuals in Budapest were being fully investigated by the police. [17] She concluded therefore that Budapest was both a viable internal flight alternative and a place where state protection wasavailable. Budapest was a viable place for the Burandiks to live as he had worked there before, and he has not, with clear and convincingevidence, established that adequate state protection would not be available (Canada (Attorney General) v Ward, (SCC),[1993] 2 SCR 689, 103 DLR (4th) 1).
Again, these findings were not unreasonable. [18] It was submitted that the plight of Jews is getting worse in Hungary. Evidence to that effect is not and should not be before meas a judicial review is based on the material before the decision maker, with a few exceptions which have no bearing here. If the situationhas worsened, the Burandiks will have an opportunity to make their case at the pre-removal risk assessment stage. ORDER FOR REASONS GIVEN: THIS COURT ORDERS that 1. The application for judicial review is dismissed. 2.
There is no serious question of general importance to certify. “Sean Harrington” Judge FEDERAL COURT
SOLICITORS OF RECORD DOCKET: IMM-75-11 STYLE OF CAUSE: BURANDIK v MCI PLACE OF HEARING: SASKATOON , SASKATCHEWAN DATE OF HEARING: JUNE 8, 2011 REASONS FOR ORDER AN D ORDER: HARRINGTON J. DATED: JUNE 14, 2011 APPEARANCES : Christopher Veeman FOR THE APPLICANTS Marcia Jackson FOR THE RESPONDENT SOLICITORS OF RECORD : MacPherson Leslie & Tyerman, LLP Barristers & Solicitors Saskatoon, Saskatchewan FOR THE APPLICANTS Myles J. Kirvan Deputy Attorney General of Canada Saskatoon , Saskatchewan FOR THE RESPONDENT