KAREN ADELBERG, MATTHEW ANDERSON, WYATT GEORGE BAITON, PAUL BARZU, NEIL BIRD, CURTIS BIRD, BEAU BJARNASON, LACEY BLAIR, MARK BRADLEY, JOHN DOE #1 , DANIEL BULFORD, JOHN DOE #2, SHAWN CARMEN , JOHN DOE #3, JONATHAN COREY CHALONER, CATHLEEN COLLINS, JANE DOE #1 , JOHN DOE #4, KIRK COX, CHAD COX, NEVILLE DAWOOD, RICHARD DE VOS, STEPHANE DROUIN, MIKE DESSON, PHILIP DOBERNIGG, JANE DOE #2, STEPHANE DROUIN, SYLVIE FILTEAU, KIRK FISLER, THOR FORSETH, GLEN GABRUCH, BRETT GARNEAU, TRACY LYNN GATES, K, 2023 FC 252
Opinion
Date: 20230221 Docket: T-1089-22 Citation: 2023 FC 252 Toronto, Ontario, February 21, 2023 PRESENT: The Honourable Mr.
Justice Fothergill BETWEEN: KAREN ADELBERG, MATTHEW ANDERSON, WYATT GEORGE BAITON, PAUL BARZU, NEIL BIRD, CURTIS BIRD, BEAU BJARNASON, LACEY BLAIR, MARK BRADLEY, JOHN DOE #1 , DANIEL BULFORD, JOHN DOE #2, SHAWN CARMEN , JOHN DOE #3, JONATHAN COREY CHALONER, CATHLEEN COLLINS, JANE DOE #1 , JOHN DOE #4, KIRK COX, CHAD COX, NEVILLE DAWOOD, RICHARD DE VOS, STEPHANE DROUIN, MIKE DESSON, PHILIP DOBERNIGG, JANE DOE #2, STEPHANE DROUIN, SYLVIE FILTEAU, KIRK FISLER, THOR FORSETH, GLEN GABRUCH, BRETT GARNEAU, TRACY LYNN GATES, KEVIN GIEN, JANE DOE #3, WARREN GREEN, JONATHAN GRIFFIOEN, ROHIT HANNSRAJ, KAITLYN HARDY, SAM HILLIARD, RICHARD HUGGINS, LYNNE HUNKA, JOSEPH ISLIEFSON, LEPOSAVA JANKOVIC, JOHN DOE #5, PAMELA JOHNSTON, ERIC JONES-GATINEAU, ANNIE JOYAL, JOHN DOE #6, MARTY (MARTHA) KLASSEN, JOHN DOE #7, JOHN DOE #8, JOHN DOE #9 , RYAN KOSKELA, JANE DOE #4, JULIANS LAZOVIKS, JASON LEFEBVRE, KIRSTEN LINK, MORGAN LITTLEJOHN, JOHN DOE #10, DIANE MARTIN, JOHN DOE #11, RICHARD MEHNER, CELINE MOREAU, ROBIN MORRISON, MORTON NG, GLORIA NORMAN, STEVEN O’DOHERTY, DAVID OBIREK, JOHN ROBERT QUEEN, NICOLE QUICK, GINETTE ROCHON, LOUIS- MARIE ROY, EMAD SADR, MATT SILVER, JINJER SNIDER, MAUREEN STEIN, JOHN DOE #12, JOHN DOE #13, ROBERT TUMBAS, KYLE VAN DE SYPE, CHANTELLE VIEN, JOSHUA (JOSH) VOID, CARLA WALKER, ANDREW WEDLOCK, JENNIFER WELLS, JOHN WELLS, MELANIE WILLIAMS, DAVID GEORGE JOHN WISEMAN, DANIEL YOUNG, GRATCHEN GRISON, (OFFICERS WITH THE ROYAL CANADIAN MOUNTAIN POLICE) and NICOLE AUCLAIR, MICHAEL BALDOCK, SABRINA BARON, WILLIAM DEAN BOOTH, CHARLES BORG, MARIE- EVÉ CARON, THOMAS DALLING, JOSEPH ISRAEL MARC ERIC DE LAFONTAINE, RICARDO GREEN, JORDAN HARTWIG, RODNEY HOWES, CHRISTOPHER MARK JACOBSON, JANE DOE #5, PASCAL LEGENDRE, KIMBERLY LEPAGE, KIM MACDONALD, CINDY MACKAY, KIM MARTIN MCKAY, DAVID MASON, ALEXANDRA KATRINA MOIR, JOSEPH DANIEL ERIC MONTGRAIN, RADOSLAW NIEDZIELSKI, LEANNA JUNE NORDMAN, DONALD POOLE, EDWARD DOMINIC POWER, NORMAN L.
REED, JANE DOE #6, BRENDEN SANGSTER, TIMOTHY JOSEPH SEIBERT, ANN-MARIE LEE TRAYNOR, CARL BARRY WOOD, EDDIE EDMOND ANDRUKAITIS, RUBY DAVIS, JENNIFER SCHROEDER, JOSEPH SHEA EMPLOYED BY THE (DEPARTMENT OF NATIONAL DEFENCE) and STEFANIE ALLARD, JAKE DANIEL BOUGHNER, BRENT CARTER, BRIAN COBB, LAURA CONSTANTINESCU, SONIA DINU, ALDONA FEDOR, JANE DOE #7, MALORIE KELLY, MATTHEW STEPHEN MACDONALD, MITCHELL MACINTYRE, HERTHA MCLENDON, MARCEL MIHAILESCU, MICHAEL MUNRO , SEBASTIAN NOWAK, DIANA RODRIGUES, NATALIE HOLDEN , ADAM DAWSON WINCHESTER, (CANADA BORDER SERVICES AGENCY) and CHRISTINE CLOUTHIER, DEBBIE GRAY, JENNIFER PENNER, DALE WAGNER, JOSEPH AYOUB, (AGRICULTURE AND AGRI-FOOD CANADA) and JANE DOE #8, (ATLANTIC CANADA OPPORTUNITIES AGENCY) and MELANIE DUFOUR, (BANK OF CANADA) and JENNIFER AUCIELLO, SHARON ANN JOSEPH, ERIC MUNRO, (CANADA MORTGAGE AND HOUSING CORPORATION) and JANE DOE #9, (CANADA PENSION PLAN) and NATALIE BOULARD, BEATA BOZEK, JOHN DOE #14, NERIN ANDREA CARR, SARA JESSICA CASTRO, DEBBIE (DUBRAVKA ) CUNKO, JOSÉE CYR, JANE DOE #10, CAROL GABOURY, TANIA GOMES, JULITA GROCHOCKA, MONIQUE HARRIS, WILLIAM HOOKER, KIRSTIN HOUGHTON, LEILA KOSTYK, DIANE C LABBÉ, MICHELLE
LAMARRE, NICOLAS LEBLOND, SUANA-LEE LECLAIR, PAULETTE MORISSETTE, JENNIFER NEAVE, PIERRE- ALEXANDRE RACINE, BENJAMIN RUSSELL, ROBERT SNOWDEN, AABID THAWER, HEIDI WIENER, SVJETLANA ZELENBABA, NADIA ZINCK, AARON JAMES THOMAS SHORROCK, DEIRDRE MCINTOSH, (CANADA REVENUE AGENCY) and TAMARA STAMMIS, (CANADA SCHOOL OF THE PUBLIC SERVICE) and JASMIN BOURDON, (CANADA SPACE AGENCY) and SHARON CUNNINGHAM, ALLEN LYNDEN, RORY MATHESON, (CANADIAN COAST GUARD) and TATJANA COKLIN, JOHN DOE #15, RAQUEL DELMAS, JANE DOE #11, CHELSEA HAYDEN, HELENE JOANNIS, ZAKLINA MAZUR, JANE DOE #12, JESSICA SIMPSON, KATARINA SMOLKOVA, (CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY) and ALEXANDRE CHARLAND, (CANADIAN FORESTRY SERVICE) and CATHERINE PROVOST, KRISTINA MARTIN, (CANADIAN HERITAGE) and JANE DOE #13, (CANADIAN INSTITUTES OF HEALTH RESEARCH) and BETH BLACKMORE, ROXANNE LORRAIN, (CANADIAN NUCLEAR SAFETY COMMISSION) and RÉMI RICHER, (CANADIAN RADIO-TELEVISION AND TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION) and OCTAVIA LA PRAIRIE, (CANADIAN SECURITY INTELLIGENCE SERVICE) and ROBERT BESTARD, (CITY OF OTTAWA GARAGE FED REGULATED) and KIMBERLY ANN BECKERT, (CORE PUBLIC SERVICE) and SARAH ANDREYCHUK, FRANCOIS BELLEHUMEUR, PAMELA BLAIKIE, NATASHA CAIRNS, ANGELA CIGLENECKI, VERONIKA COLNAR, RANDY DOUCET, KARA ERICKSON, JESSE FORCIER, VALÉRIE FORTIN, ROXANE GUEUTAL, MELVA ISHERWOOD, MILO JOHNSON, VALERIA LUEDEE, LAURIE LYNDEN, ANNETTE MARTIN, CRAIG MCKAY, ISABELLE METHOT, SAMANTHA OSYPCHUK, JANE DOE #14, WILNIVE PHANORD, ALEXANDRE RICHER LEVASSEUR, KATHLEEN SAWYER, TREVOR SCHEFFEL, (CORRECTIONAL SERVICE OF CANADA) and JORDAN ST-PIERRE, (COURTS ADMINISTRATION SERVICE) and BRIGITTE SURGUE, JANE DOE #15, (DEPARTMENT OF CANADIAN HERITAGE)
and GHISLAIN CARDINAL, HEATHER HALLIDAY, PAUL MARTEN, CELINE RIVIER, NGOZI UKWU, JEANNINE BASTARACHE, JANE DOE #16, HAMID NAGHDIAN-VISHTEH, (DEPARTMENT OF FISHERIES AND OCEAN) and ISHMAEL GAY-LABBE, JANE DOE #17, LEANNE JAMES, (DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE) and DANIELLE BARABE-BUSSIERES, (ELECTIONS CANADA) and TANYA DAECHERT, JANE DOE #18, FRANCOIS ARSENEAU, CHANTA AUTHIER, NATHALIE BENOIT, AERIE BIAFORE, ROCK BRIAND, AMAUD BRIEN THIFFAULT, SHARON CHIU, MICHEL DAIGLE, BRIGITTE DANIELS, LOUISE GAUDREAULT, KARRIE GEVAERT, MARK GEVAERT, PETER IVERSEN, DERRIK LAMB , JANE DOE #19, ANNA MARINIC, DIVINE MASABARAKIZA, JAMES MENDHAM, MICHELLE MARINA MICKO, JEAN RICHARD, STEPHANIE SENECAL, JANE DOE #20, RYAN SEWELL, KARI SMYTHE, OLIMPIA SOMESAN, LLOYD SWANSON, TYRONE WHITE, ELISSA WONG, JENNY ZAMBELAS, LI YANG ZHU, PATRICE LEVER, (EMPLOYMENT AND SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT CANADA) and JANE DOE #21, BRIAN PHILIP CRENNA, JANE DOE #22, BRADLEY DAVID HIGNELL, ANDREW KALTECK, DANA KELLETT, JOSÉE LOSIER, KRISTIN MENSCH, ELSA MOUANA, JANE DOE #23, JANE DOE #24, VALENTINA ZAGORENKO, (ENVIRONMENT AND CLIMATE CHANGE CANADA) and PIERRE TRUDEL, (EXPORT DEVELOPMENT CANADA) and STEPHEN ALAN COLLEY, (FEDERAL ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AGENCY FOR SOUTHERN ONTARIO) and VLADIMIR RASKOVIC, (GARDA SECURITY SCREEING INC) and MÉLANIE BORGIA, JONATHAN KYLE SMITH, DONNA STAINFLELD, ANNILA THARAKAN, RENEE MICHIKO UMEZUKI, (GLOBAL AFFAIRS CANADA) and DENNIS JOHNSON, (GLOBAL CONTAINER TERMINALS CANADA) and ALEXANDRE GUILBEAULT, TARA (MARIA) MCDONOUGH, FRANCE VANIER, (GOVERNMENT OF CANADA) and ALEX BRAUN, MARC LESCELLEUR-PAQUETTE, (HOUSE OF COMMONS) and AIMEE LEGAULT, (HUMAN RESOURCE BRANCH) and DORIN ANDREI BOBOC, JANE DOE #25, SOPHIE GUIMARD, ELISA HO, KATHY LEAL, CAROLINE LEGENDRE, DIANA VIDA, (IMMIGRATION, REFUGEES AND CITIZENSHIP CANADA) and NATHALIE JOANNE GAUTHIER, (INDIGENOUS AND NORTHERN AFFAIRS CANADA)
and CHRISTINE BIZIER, AMBER DAWN KLETZEL, VERONA LIPKA, KERRY SPEARS, (INDIGENOUS SERVICES CANADA) and SUN-HO PAUL JE, (INNOVATION, SCIENCE AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT CANADA) and GILES ROY, (NATIONAL FILM BOARD OF CANADA) and RAY SILVER, MICHELLE DEDYULIN, LETITIA EAKINS, JULIE-ANNE KLEINSCHMIT, MARC-ANDRE OCTEAU, HUGUES SCHOLAERT, (NATIONAL RESEARCH COUNCIL CANADA) and FELIX BEAUCHAMP, (NATIONAL SECURITY AND INTELLIGENCE REVIEW AGENCY) and JULIA MAY BROWN, CALEB LAM, STEPHANE LEBLANC, SERRYNA WHITESIDE, (NATURAL RESOURCES CANADA) and NICOLE HAWLEY, STEEVE L’ITALIEN, MARC LECOCQ, TONY MALLET, SANDRA MCKENZIE, (NAV CANADA) and MUHAMMAD ALI, (OFFICE OF THE AUDITOR GENERAL OF CANADA) and RYAN ROGERS, (ONTARIO NORTHLAND TRANSPORTATION COMMISSION) and THERESA STENE, MICHAEL DESSUREAULT, JOHN DOE #16, (PARK CANADA) and CHARLES-ALEXANDRE BEAUCHEMIN, BRETT OLIVER, (PARLIMENTARY PROTECTION SERVICE) and CAROLE DUFORD, (POLAR KNOWLEDGE CANADA) and JOANNE GABRIELLE DE MONTIGNY, IVANA ERIC, JANE DOE #26, SALYNA LEGARE, JANE DOE #27, ANGIE RICHARDSON, JANE DOE #28, (PUBLIC HEALTH AGENCY OF CANADA) and FAY ANNE BARBER, (PUBLIC SAFETY CANADA) and DENIS LANIEL, (PUBLIC SECTOR PENSION INVESTMENT BOARD)
and KATHLEEN ELIZABETH BARRETTE, SARAH BEDARD, MARIO CONSTANTINEAU, KAREN FLEURY, BRENDA JAIN, MEGAN MARTIN, JANE DOE #29, ISABELLE PAQUETTE, RICHARD PARENT, ROGER ROBERT RICHARD, NICOLE INCENNES, CHRISTINE VESSIA, JANE DOE #30, PAMELA MCINTYRE, (PUBLIC SERVICES AND PROCUREMENT CANADA) and ISABELLE DENIS, (REGISTRAR OF THE SUPREME COURT OF CANADA) and JANE BARTMANOVICH, (ROYAL CANADIAN MINT) and NICOLE BRISSON, (SERVICE CANADA) and DENIS AUDET, MATHIEU ESSIAMBRE, ALAIN HART, ANDREA HOUGHTON, NATALIA KWIATEK, DANY LEVESQUE, DAVID MCCARTHY, PASCAL MICHAUD, MERVI PENNANEN, TONYA SHORTILL, STEPHANIE TKACHUK, MARSHALL WRIGHT, (SHARED SERVICES CANADA) and EVE MARIE BLOUIN-HUDON, MARC-ANTOINE BOUCHER, CHRISTOPHER HUSZAR, (STATISTICS CANADA) and STEVE YOUNG, (TELESTAT CANADA) and NATHAN ALIGIZAKIS, STEPHEN DANIEL, ALAIN DOUCHANT, KRYSTAL MCCOLGAN, DEBBIE MENARD, CLARENCE RUTTLE, DOROTHY BARRON, ROBERT MCLACHLAN, (TRANSPORT CANADA) and SCOTT ERROLL HENDERSON, DENIS THERIAULT, (TREASURY BOARD OF CANADA) and JOSIANE BROUILLARD, ALEXANDRA MCGRATH, NATHALIE STE-CROIX, JANE DOE #31, (VETERANS AFFAIRS CANADA) and OLUBUSAYO (BUSAYO) AYENI, JOHN DOE #17, CYNTHIA BAUMAN, JANE DOE #32, LAURA CRYSTAL BROWN, KE(JERRY) CAI, NICOLINO CAMPANELLI, DONALD KEITH CAMPBELL, COLLEEN CARDER, KATHY CARRIERE, MELISSA CARSON, DAVID CLARK, BRADLEY CLERMONT, LAURIE COELHO, ESTEE COSTA, ANTONIO DA SILVA, BRENDA DARVILL, PATRICK DAVIDSON, EUGENEDAVIS, LEAH DAWSON, MARC FONTAINE, JACQUELINE GENAILLE, ELDON GOOSSEN, JOYCE GREENAWAY, LORI HAND, DARREN HAY, KRISTA IMIOLA,CATHERINE KANUKA, DONNA KELLY, BENJAMIN LEHTO, ANTHONY LEON, AKEMI MATSUMIYA, JANE DOE #33, JANE DOE #34, JANE DOE #35, ANNE MARIE MCQUAID-SNIDER, LINO MULA, PAMELA OPERSKO, GABRIEL PAQUET CHRISTINE PAQUETTE, CAROLIN JACQUELINE PARIS, JODIE PRICE, KEVIN PRICE, GIUSEPPE QUADRINI, SAARAH QUAMINA, SHAWN ROSSITER, ANTHONY RUSH, ANTHONY SHATZKO, CHARLES SILVA, RYAN SIMKO, NORMAN SIROIS, BRANDON SMITH, CATHARINE SPIAK, SANDRA STROUD, ANITA TALARIAN, DARYL TOONK, RYAN TOWERS, LEANNE VERBEEM, ERAN VOOYS, ROBERT WAGNER, JASON WEATHERALL, MELANIE BURCH, STEVEN COLE, TONI DOWNIE, AMBER RICARD, JODI STAMMIS, (CANADA POST) and NICOLAS BELL, JOHN DOE #18, JOHN DOE #19, JANE DOE #36, JOHN DOE #20, PAOLA DI MADDALENA, NATHAN DODDS, JOHN DOE #21, JANE DOE #37, NUNZIO GIOLTI, MARIO GIRARD, JANE DOE #38, JANE DOE #39, YOU-HUI KIM, JANE DOE #40, SEBASTIAN KORAK, ADA LAI, MIRIUM LO, MELANIE MAILLOUX, CAROLYN MUIR, PATRIZIA PABA, RADU RAUTESCU, ALDO REANO, JACQUELINE ELISABETH ROBINSON, JOHN DOE #22, FREDERICK ROY, JOHN DOE #23, TAEKO SHIMAMURA, JASON SISK, BEATA SOSIN, JOEL SZOSTAK, MARIO TCHEON, REBECCA SUE THIESSEN, JANE DOE #41, MAUREEN YEARWOOD, (AIR CANADA)
and JOHN DOE #24, JOSÉE DEMEULE, JACQUELINE GAMBLE, DOMENIC GIANCOLA, SADNA KASSAN, MARCUS STEINER, CHRISTINA TRUDEAU, (AIR CANADA JAZZ) and JOHN DOE #25, EMILIE DESPRES, (AIR INUIT) and REJEAN NANTEL, (BANK OF MONTREAL) and LANCE VICTOR SCHIIKA, (BC COAST PILOTS LTD) and ELIZABETH GODLER, (BC FERRIES) and JOHN DOE #26, JANE DOE #42, TAMARA DAVIDSON, JANE DOE #43, KARTER CUTHBERT FELDHOFF DE LA NUEZ, JEFFREY MICHAEL JOSEPH GOUDREAU, BRAD HOMEWOOD, CHAD HOMEWOOD, CHARLES MICHAEL JEFFERSON, JOHN DOE #27, JANICE LARAINE KRISTMANSON, JANE DOE #44, DARREN LOUIS LAGIMODIERE, JOHN DOE #28, JOHN DOE #29, MIRKO MARAS, JOHN DOE #30, JOHN DOE #31, JOHN DOE #32, JOHN DOE #33, JOHN DOE #34, JANE DOE #45, JOHN DOE #35, KENDAL STACE-SMITH, JOHN DOE #36, STEVE HEATLEY, (BRITISH COLUMBIA MARITIME EMPLOYERS ASSOCIATION) and PAUL VEERMAN, (BROOKFIELD GLOBAL INTEGRATED SOLUTIONS) and MARK BARRON, TREVOR BAZILEWICH, JOHN DOE #37, BRIAN DEKKER, JOHN GAETZ, ERNEST GEORGESON, KYLE KORTKO, RICHARD LETAIN, JOHN DOE #38, DALE ROBERT ROSS, (CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAY) and TIM CASHMORE, ROB GEBERT, MICHEAL ROGER MAILHIOT, (CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY) and KARIN LUTZ, (DP WORLD) and CRYSTAL SMEENK, (FARM CREDIT CANADA) and SYLVIE M.F.
GELINAS, SUSIE MATIAS, STEW WILLIAMS, (G4S AIRPORT SCREENING) and SHAWN CORMAN, (GEOTECH AVIATION) and JUERGEN BRUSCHKEWITZ, ANDRE DEVEAUX, BRYAN FIGUEIRA, DAVID SPRATT, GUY HOCKING, SEAN GRANT, (GREATER TORONTO AIRPORTS AUTHORITY) and DUSTIN BLAIR, (KELOWNA AIRPORT FIRE FIGHTER) and
HANS-PETER LIECHTI, (NATIONAL ART CENTRE) and BRADLEY CURRUTHERS, LANA DOUGLAS, ERIC DUPUIS, SHERRI ELLIOT, ROBEN IVENS, JANE DOE #46, LUKE VAN HOEKELEN, KURT WATSON, (ONTARIO POWER GENERATION) and THERESA STENE, MICHAEL DESSUREAULT, ADAM PIDWERBESKI, (PARKS CANADA) and JOHN DOE #39, (PACIFIC PILOTAGE AUTHORITY) and ANGELA GROSS, (PUROLATOR INC.) and GERHARD GEERTSEMA, (QUESTRAL HELICOPTERS) and AMANDA RANDALL, JANE DOE #47, FRANK VERI, (RBC ROYAL BANK) and JAMES (JED) FORSMAN, (RISE AIR) and JANE DOE #48, (ROGERS COMMUNICATIONS INC) and JERRILYNN REBEYKA, (SASKTEL) and EILEEN FAHLMAN, MARY TREICHEL, (SCOTIABANK) and JUDAH GAELAN CUMMINS, (SEASPAN VICTORIA DOCKS) and DARIN WATSON, (SHAW) and RICHARD MICHAEL ALAN TABAK, (SKYNORTH AIR LTD) and DEBORAH BOARDMAN, MICHAEL BRIGHAM, (VIA RAIL CANADA) and KEVIN SCOTT ROUTLY, (WASAYA AIRWAYS) and SAILOR, (WATERFRONT EMPLOYERS OF BRITISH COLUMBIA) and BAYDA, JAMIE ELLIOTT, JOHN DOE #40, RANDALL MENGERING,
SAMANTHA NICASTRO, VERONICA STEPHENS, JANE DOE #49, (WESTJET) and MELVIN GEREIN, (WESTSHORE TERMINALS) Plaintiffs and HIS MAJESTY THE KING, PRIME MINISTER JUSTIN TRUDEAU, DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER AND MINISTER OF FINANCE CHRYSTIA FREELAND, CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICER TERESA TAM, MINISTER OF TRANSPORT OMAR ALGHABRA, DEPUTY MINISTER OF PUBLIC SAFETY MARCO MENDICINO, JOHNS AND JANES DOE Defendants ORDER AND REASONS I. Overview [ 1 ] The Defendants have brought a motion pursuant to Rule 221(1) (
a) of the Federal Courts Rules , SOR/98-106 [ Rules ] to strike the Plaintiffs’ Statement of Claim in its entirety, without leave to amend. [ 2 ] The Statement of Claim was filed on May 30, 2022.
The Plaintiffs comprise approximately 600 individuals who allege they suffered harm as a result of the Policy on COVID-19 Vaccination for the Core Public Administration Including the Royal Canadian Mounted Police issued by the Treasury Board of Canada on October 6, 2021 [TB Policy], and the Interim Order Respecting Certain Requirements for Civil Aviation Due to COVID-19, No. 61 issued by Transport Canada on April 24, 2022 [Interim Order]. [ 3 ] The Plaintiffs are current or former employees of the Government of Canada, federal Crown corporations, and federally- regulated businesses or organizations.
The precise circumstances of the Plaintiffs’ employment are not pleaded in the Statement of Claim. [ 4 ] Unusually, the style of cause groups the Plaintiffs by their employers. For example, the first group of Plaintiffs is identified as employed by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police; the second as employed by the Department of National Defence; the third as employed by the Canada Border Services Agency; and so on. [ 5 ] There are numerous groups of Plaintiffs identified as employees of a wide variety of federal government institutions and Crown corporations.
Other Plaintiffs are identified as employees of federally-regulated businesses or organizations such as Air Canada, Bank of Montreal, BC Ferries, Canadian National Railway, Ontario Power Generation, Purolator, and Rogers Communications. [ 6 ] According to the Defendants, approximately two-thirds of the Plaintiffs appear to be employed within the Core Public Administration [CPA], as defined in the Financial Administration Act , RSC 1985, c F-11 , s 11(1) and Schedules I, IV [FAA].
The Defendants say these Plaintiffs’ claims are barred by s 236 of the Federal Public Sector Labour Relations Act , SC 2003, c 22, s 2 [ FPSLRA ]. [ 7 ] The remaining one-third of the Plaintiffs appear to fall within two other categories: employees of federal Crown corporations and employees of businesses or organizations that operate in a variety of federally-regulated sectors, principally transportation, telecommunications, logistics, finance, and courier services.
The Defendants do not dispute the Court’s potential jurisdiction over the claims brought by these Plaintiffs, but nevertheless maintain that the Statement of Claim fails to disclose any reasonable causes of action. [ 8 ] With respect to those Plaintiffs who are subject to s 236 of the FPSLRA , the Statement of Claim must be struck in its entirety without leave to amend. With respect to those Plaintiffs who are not subject to s 236 of the FPSLRA , the Statement of Claim must be struck in its entirety, but with leave to amend. II.
Issues [ 9 ] The issues raised by the Defendants’ motion are whether the Statement of Claim should be struck and, if so, whether leave should be granted to amend the pleading. A. Plaintiffs Subject to the FPSLRA [ 10 ] The Plaintiffs who are employed within the organizations listed in
Schedule A hereto are members of the CPA , as defined in the FAA. Persons employed within the CPA are subject to s 236 of the FPSLRA . This provision reads as follows:
No Right of Action Disputes relating to employment 236
(1) The right of an employee to seekredress by way of grievance for any disputerelating to his or her terms or conditions ofemployment is in lieu of any right of actionthat the employee may have in relation toany act or omission giving rise to thedispute. Application (2) Subsection (1) applies whether or notthe employee avails himself or herself ofthe right to present a grievance in anyparticular case and whether or not thegrievance could be referred to adjudication. […] Absence de droit d’action Différend lié à l’emploi 236
(1) Le droit de recours dufonctionnaire par voie de griefrelativement à tout différend lié à sesconditions d’emploi remplace ses droitsd’action en justice relativement aux faits— actions ou omissions — à l’origine dudifférend. Application
(2) Le paragraphe (1) s’applique que lefonctionnaire se prévale ou non de sondroit de présenter un grief et qu’il soitpossible ou non de soumettre le grief àl’arbitrage. […] [11] The right to grieve is available to employees as defined in s 206(1) of the FPSLRA. Both unionized and non-unionizedemployees may file a grievance. The Defendants say that the Plaintiffs’ right to grieve encompasses the allegations contained in theStatement of Claim, because they concern their “terms and conditions of employment”, as that expression is used in s 208 of theFPSLRA: Right of employee 208
(1) Subject to subsections (2) to (7), anemployee is entitled to present an individualgrievance if he or she feels aggrieved (
a) bythe
interpretation or application, in respectof the employee, of (
i) a provision of a statute or regulation, orof a direction or other instrument made orissued by the employer, that deals withterms and conditions of employment, or (ii) a provision of a collective agreement oran arbitral award; or (
b) as a result of any occurrence or matteraffecting his or her terms and conditions ofemployment. Droit du fonctionnaire 208
(1) Sous réserve des paragraphes (2)à (7), le fonctionnaire a le droit deprésenter un grief individuel lorsqu’ils’estime lésé
a) par l’interprétation oul’application à son égard : (
i) soit de toute disposition d’une loi oud’un règlement, ou de toute directive oude tout autre document de l’employeurconcernant les conditions d’emploi, (ii) soit de toute disposition d’uneconvention collective ou d’une décisionarbitrale;
b) par suite de tout fait portant atteinte àses conditions d’emploi. [12] In Hudson v Canada, 2022 FC 694 [Hudson], I granted the defendant’s motion to strike the statement of claim without leaveto amend on the ground that the plaintiffs’ claims were barred by s 236 of the FPSLRA. The analysis that follows is adapted from theone I applied in Hudson. [13] Subsection 236(1) of the FPSLRA has been recognized as an “explicit ouster” of the courts’ jurisdiction (Bron v Canada(Attorney General), 2010 ONCA 71 [Bron] at para 4).
Once it is established that a matter must be the subject of a grievance, thegrievance process cannot be circumvented, even for reasons of efficiency, by relying on a court’s residual jurisdiction (Bouchard cProcureur général du Canada, 2019 QCCA 2067). [14] Subsection 236(1) of the FPSLRA was enacted in 2005 in direct response to the Supreme Court of Canada’s decisions inVaughan v Canada, 2005 SCC 11 [Vaughan] and Weber v Ontario Hydro, (SCC), [1995] 2 SCR 929 [Weber] (seeAttorney General of Canada, on behalf of Correctional Service of Canada v Robichaud and MacKinnon, 2013 NBCA 3 [Robichaud] atpara 3).
Vaughan and Weber stand for the proposition that courts should usually decline to exercise any residual jurisdiction they mayhave to intervene in employment-related matters.
Before a court will intervene in an employment-related dispute, there must be a gap inlabour adjudication that causes a “real deprivation of ultimate remedy” (Weber at para 57). [15] This principle was succinctly stated by the Federal Court of Appeal in Canada v Greenwood, 2021 FCA 186 [Greenwood] atparagraph 130 (leave to appeal ref’d, (SCC)): Vaughan and the cases that apply it hold that, in most instances, claims from employees subject to federal public sector labour legislationin respect of matters that are not adjudicable before the FPSLREB should not be heard by the courts, as this would constitute animpermissible incursion into the statutory scheme.
However, an exception to this general rule allows courts to hear claims that may onlybe grieved under internal grievance mechanisms if the internal mechanisms are incapable of providing effective redress. [16] The Defendants say the effect of s 236 of the FPSLRA is to remove any residual discretion this Court may have to intervene inlabour disputes involving employees with grievance rights. The Defendants argue that s 236 serves to revoke any statutory grant of
jurisdiction this Court might otherwise possess. [ 17 ] Following the enactment of s 236 of the FPSLRA , it appears that no court has intervened in a labour dispute that involves employees who possess grievance rights. The most one can find in the jurisprudence is obiter commentary suggesting that an exception might be found if the integrity of the grievance procedure is shown to be compromised based on the evidence presented in a particular case ( Lebrasseur v Canada , 2007 FCA 330 [ Lebrasseur ]).
The onus of establishing that there is room for the exercise of a court’s residual discretion lies with a plaintiff ( Lebrasseur at paras 18-19 ). [ 18 ] In Robichaud , the Court of Appeal of New Brunswick suggested that if the residual discretion to hear a labour dispute continues to exist despite s 236 of the FPSLRA , it will be only in “exceptional” cases: “The truly problematic cases will be those where the grievance process is itself ‘corrupt’” (at para 10). [ 19 ] While evidence is not generally admissible on a motion to strike, it may be admitted where a jurisdictional question arises.
Evidence as to the nature and efficacy of the suggested alternate processes is necessary to provide a basis for the Court’s determination of whether it ought to decline jurisdiction in favour of the alternate administrative remedies ( Greenwood at paras 95-96 ). [ 20 ] The Defendants have adduced evidence in support of their motion to strike, but this consists only of an affidavit appending the relevant policy documents as exhibits.
No evidence has been tendered respecting “the nature and efficacy of the suggested alternate processes” , as contemplated in Greenwood (at para 95 ). [ 21 ] The Defendants maintain that it is sufficient for them to invoke the FAA to demonstrate that the claims of approximately two- thirds of the Plaintiffs are barred by s 236 of the FPSLRA . The Defendants note that the Plaintiffs do not allege the available internal grievance process is “corrupt” or incapable of providing redress.
Indeed, the Statement of Claim is silent regarding the potential availability or adequacy of alternative remedies. [ 22 ] It would have been helpful for the Defendants to provide evidence, or alternatively detailed legal submissions, regarding which of the Plaintiffs are subject to s 236 of the FPSLRA and which are not. Instead, considerable time was expended during the hearing of this motion reviewing the Schedules to the FAA in order to determine which groups of Plaintiffs are employed within the CPA.
Following the hearing of the motion, the Court directed the parties to confirm the accuracy of the lists of employers that appear in Schedules A and B hereto. Schedules A and B were subsequently approved by the parties through their counsel. To their credit, this was done on consent. [ 23 ] According to paragraph 6 of the Statement of Claim: The Plaintiffs are all either: (
a) Federal (former) Employees of various agencies and Ministries of the Government of Canada and servants, officials, and/or agents of the Crown; (
b) Employees of Federal Crown Corporations; and (
c) Employees of federally regulated sectors; As set out and categorized in the style of cause in the within claim. [ 24 ] While this manner of pleading is unorthodox, it is sufficiently clear. In effect, the categories of employment disclosed in the style of cause are incorporated by reference into the body of the pleading.
For the purposes of the Defendants’ motion to strike, the Plaintiffs’ assertions respecting their places of employment, as identified in the style of cause, must be assumed to be true. [ 25 ] Taken at face value, I am satisfied the pleading confirms that the majority of the Plaintiffs are employed within the CPA.
Their claims are therefore barred by s 236 of the FPSLRA . [ 26 ] Before determining whether to exercise any discretion to consider a proceeding, the Court must first be satisfied that the grievance process is not available and would not provide any remedy ( Murphy v Canada (Attorney General) , 2022 FC 146 [ Murphy ], at para 32 , citing Public Service Alliance of Canada v Canada (Attorney General) , 2020 FC 481 ).
As Prothonotary (now Associate Judge) Mireille Tabib explained in Murphy in paragraph 33 : Consequently, and as also suggested in Lebrasseur v Canada , 2007 FCA 330 , at para 19 , once it is established that a person has recourse to a statutory grievance scheme, it is up to the applicant, and not the respondent seeking to have the application dismissed as premature, to establish that the procedure is clearly not available.
That is the necessary conclusion, since concluding otherwise and allowing access to the courts whenever the admissibility of a grievance is challenged would have the effect of bypassing the exhaustive scheme Parliament intended. It would amount to asking the Court to prejudge the admissibility of a grievance and to usurp the role of the grievance authority in respect of the
interpretation and application of the provisions governing the grievance procedure. [ 27 ] Associate Judge Tabib’s ruling in Murphy was recently upheld by Justice Vanessa Rochester in Murphy v Canada (Attorney General) , 2023 FC 57 [ Murphy (Appeal) ]. [ 28 ] Even at this preliminary stage, the onus is on the Plaintiffs to establish the Court’s jurisdiction over the claims advanced in the Statement of Claim ( Hudson at para 91 ; Murphy (Appeal) at para 82).
I am not persuaded that the Plaintiffs who are employed within the CPA have done so. [ 29 ] On a motion to strike, a plaintiff will satisfy the requirement that the pleadings disclose a reasonable cause of action unless, assuming all facts pleaded to be true, it is plain and obvious that the plaintiff’s claim cannot succeed ( Pro-Sys Consultants Ltd v Microsoft Corporation , 2013 SCC 57 at para 63 ). However, this does not mean that the Plaintiffs’ assertions respecting this Court’s
jurisdiction must be assumed to be true. As Justice Rochester explained in Murphy (Appeal) at paragraph 86: It is clear that on a motion to strike an application for judicial review, the facts asserted by the applicant in its Notice of Application mustbe presumed to be true (Prairies Tubulars
(2015) Inc v Canada (Border Services Agency), 2018 FC 991 at para 26 and the cases citedtherein). This presumption does not extend to the arguments that an applicant may make or any evidence they may submit in response toa motion to strike the Notice of Application.
Concluding otherwise would run counter to the teaching of the Federal Court of Appeal in[Canada (National Revenue) v JP Morgan Asset Management (Canada) Inc, 2013 FCA 250] and have the effect of rendering suchmotions to strike incapable of success, thereby hampering the Court’s power to restrain the misuse or abuse of its process (JP Morgan atpara 48). [30] Plaintiffs who enjoy statutory grievance rights and allege they have been harmed by the TB Policy or Interim Order mustexhaust the grievance process before seeking redress in this Court (Murphy (Appeal) at paras 75-76).
As I held in Wojdan v Canada(Attorney General), 2021 FC 1341 at paragraph 31, permitting premature access to the Court: […] would have the effect of undermining the labour grievance process enacted by Parliament. The Court would be preempting theprimary role of labour adjudicators in determining questions that pertain to the application of the Vaccination Policy, the extent to whichit may be said to infringe employees’ rights, whether any infringement can be justified on the grounds of public health, and if not,whether the Applicants are entitled to financial or other compensation.
Premature judicial intervention would not be complementary tofundamental principles of labour relations, but destructive of them. [31] The Plaintiffs argue that their claims are not barred by s 236 of the FPSLRA, because some of the remedies they seek arebeyond the powers of a labour adjudicator to grant. They emphasize the declaratory relief sought in the Statement of Claim regarding theconstitutional validity of the TB Policy and Interim Order, citing ss 91 and 92(10) of the Constitution Act, 1867 (UK), 30 & 31 Vict, c 3,reprinted in RSC 1985, App II, No 5 and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms,
Part I of the Constitution Act, 1982, beingSchedule B to the Canada Act 1982 (UK), 1982, c 11 [Charter]. [32] The Plaintiffs cannot escape the operation of s 236 of the FPSLRA by pleading that their claims are not ordinary workplacedisputes, or that some of the remedies they seek are not available through the internal grievance process.
As the Ontario Court of Appealheld in Bron, the right to grieve is “very broad” and “[a]lmost all employment-related disputes can be grieved under s 208 of theFPSLRA” (at paras 14-15). [33] In Ebadi v Canada, 2022 FC 834 [Ebadi], the plaintiff advanced the argument (at para 35) that: […] Bron maintains the court’s residual discretion to hear a claim when a grievance procedure does not provide an adequate remedy.Further, the Court may assume jurisdiction over claims that, in the usual course, may be barred by
section 236, where there is a gap inthe statutory scheme, where the events produce a difficulty unforeseen by the scheme, or where “no adequate alternative remedy alreadyexists,” as set out in Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees Canadian Pacific System Federation v Canadian Pacific Ltd., (SCC), [1996] 2 SCR 495 at para 8 [Brotherhood]. [34] Justice Henry Brown rejected this argument, holding that alleged Charter violations may be addressed through the grievanceprocess under the FPSLRA (Ebadi at 43-44, citing Green v Canada (Border Services Agency), 2018 FC 414 at paras 10-11).
He alsoaffirmed that the grievance procedure operates “in lieu of any right of action”, even when a plaintiff’s preferred remedy (in that casethird-party adjudication) is not available (at paras 49-50): In accordance with the analysis in Green, the Plaintiff could have challenged the Harassment Policy and Grievance Procedurethemselves under sections 208 and 236 of the FPSRLA. In addition and in my respectful view, the statutory bar to court litigation set outin subsection 236(2) pre-empts any cause of action in this Court notwithstanding there is no access to third party-adjudication.
Here, the ONCA’s reasoning in Bron is again relevant: [32] Finally, the appellant argues that a superior court must maintain an inherent jurisdiction despite whatever language may be used in s.236. He relies on Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees Canadian Pacific System Federation v. Canadian Pacific Ltd., (SCC), [1996] 2 S.C.R. 495, [1996] S.C.J. No. 42, at para. 8. As I read that case, it stands for the proposition that a superiorcourt has inherent jurisdiction to provide a remedy where the relevant statutory scheme does not speak to the circumstances at hand.
Inother words, the court’s inherent jurisdiction can fill remedial lacunae in legislation. There is no legislative gap here.
Section 236 speaksdirectly to workplace complaints that are grievable under the legislation.
For those complaints, even when there is no access to third-party adjudication, the grievance procedure operates “in lieu of any right of action”. [Emphasis added] [35] Canadian courts have consistently found that harms allegedly suffered by employees as a result of their employers’ policiesand practices in response to the COVID-19 pandemic are properly addressed by way of grievance, in both unionized and non-unionizedworkplaces (see National Organized Workers Union v Sinai Health System, 2022 ONCA 802 [Sinai Health] at para 39 and the casescited therein).
As the Court of Appeal for Ontario held in Sinai Health (at para 38): At its core, the harm at issue was the potential for being placed on leave without pay or terminated under the Policy, if an employeechose to remain unvaccinated. The appellant’s members were not being forced to be vaccinated, denied bodily autonomy, or denied theright to give informed consent to vaccination. They could choose to be vaccinated or not. If they chose not to be vaccinated, they facedbeing placed on unpaid leave or having their employment terminated. This potential harm is fundamentally related to employment.
It isharm which an arbitrator has the tools to remedy. If the appellant were to prevail in the arbitration, an arbitrator could order reinstatementwithout loss of seniority and compensation for lost wages.
There is no palpable and overriding error in the application judge’s conclusionthat there was no remedial gap in the labour relations regime that warranted the exercise of the Superior Court’s residual jurisdiction. [36] The Plaintiffs who are subject to s 236 of the FPSLRA have not demonstrated that their circumstances constitute “exceptionalcases”, or that there is a gap in labour adjudication that causes a “real deprivation of ultimate remedy” (Weber at para 57; Vaughan atparas 22, 39). For these Plaintiffs, the Statement of Claim must be struck in its entirety without leave to amend.
B. Plaintiffs Not Subject to the FPSLRA [ 37 ] The Plaintiffs who are employed within the organizations listed in
Schedule B hereto are not members of the CPA , as defined in the FAA. The Defendants concede that these Plaintiffs’ claims potentially fall within this Court’s jurisdiction. [ 38 ] The Defendants nevertheless maintain that the Statement of Claim is drafted so poorly that it fails to disclose any reasonable causes of action. They therefore argue that the Statement of Claim must be struck in its entirety without leave to amend, regardless of whether or not the Plaintiffs are subject to s 236 of the FPSLRA . [ 39 ] The Rules that govern pleadings in this Court provide in relevant part: Form of pleadings 173
(1) Pleadings shall be divided into consecutively numbered paragraphs. Allegations set out separately
(2) Every allegation in a pleading shall, as far as is practicable, be set out in a separate paragraph. Material facts 174 Every pleading shall contain a concise statement of the material facts on which the party relies, but shall not include evidence by which those facts are to be proved. […] Particulars 181
(1) A pleading shall contain particulars of every allegation contained therein, including (
a) particulars of any alleged misrepresentation, fraud, breach of trust, wilful default or undue influence; and (
b) particulars of any alleged state of mind of a person, including any alleged mental disorder or disability, malice or fraudulent intention. Modalités de forme 173
(1) Les actes de procédure sont divisés en paragraphes numérotés consécutivement . Présentation
(2) Dans la mesure du possible, chaque prétention contenue dans un acte de procédure fait l’objet d’un paragraphe distinct. Exposé des faits 174 Tout acte de procédure contient un exposé concis des faits substantiels sur lesquels la
partie se fonde; il ne comprend pas les moyens de preuve à l’appui de ces faits. […] Précisions 181
(1) L’acte de procédure contient des précisions sur chaque allégation, notamment :
a) des précisions sur les fausses déclarations, fraudes, abus de confiance, manquements délibérés ou influences indues reprochés;
b) des précisions sur toute allégation portant sur l’état mental d’une personne, tel un déséquilibre mental, une incapacité mentale ou une intention malicieuse ou frauduleuse. [ 40 ] It is fundamental to the trial process that a plaintiff plead material facts in sufficient detail to support the claim and the relief sought ( Mancuso v Canada (National Health and Welfare) , 2015 FCA 227 [ Mancuso ] at para 16 ).
Pleadings play an important role in providing notice and defining the issues to be tried. [ 41 ] The Court and defendants cannot be left to speculate as to how the facts might be variously arranged to support various causes of action. If the Court were to allow parties to plead bald allegations of fact, or mere conclusory statements of law, the pleadings would fail to perform their role in identifying the issues ( Mancuso at paras 16-17 ). [ 42 ] A plaintiff must plead, in
summary form but with sufficient detail, the constituent elements of each cause of action or legal ground raised. The pleading must tell the defendant who, when, where, how and what gave rise to its liability.
Plaintiffs cannot file inadequate pleadings and rely on a defendant to request particulars, nor can they supplement insufficient pleadings to make them sufficient through particulars ( Mancuso at paras 19-20 ). [ 43 ] To establish a reasonable cause of action, a statement of claim must “(1) allege facts that are capable of giving rise to a cause of action; (2) indicate the nature of the action which is to be founded on those facts; and (3) indicate the relief sought, which must be of a type which the action could produce and the court has jurisdiction to grant” ( Zbarsky v Canada , 2022 FC 195 at para 13 , citing Bérubé v Canada , 2009 FC 43 at para 24 , aff’d, 2010 FCA 276 ). [ 44 ] As Justice Beth Allen of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice observed in Guillaume v Toronto (City) , 2010 ONSC 5045 (at para 54 ): The importance of clearly drafted and structured pleadings does not require much explanation.
Pleadings should be drafted with sufficient clarity and precision so as to give the other party fair notice of the case they are required to meet and of the remedies being sought. The
role of pleadings is to assist the court in its quest for the truth. Clearly, confusing, run on and poorly organized pleadings cannotaccomplish those goals. Courts have held a pleading may be struck out on the grounds it is unintelligible and lacks clarity […] [45] The Statement of Claim in this proceeding is almost 50 pages long. Nine pages are devoted to the remedies sought.
There areallegations of constitutional invalidity and criminal culpability, broad assertions of scientific knowledge regarding the COVID-19pandemic, and a claim that some of the public health measures instituted by the Government of Canada amounted to crimes againsthumanity. Some of the requested remedies are unavailable in a civil action, including administrative declarations and injunctive relief. [46] For example, the Statement of Claim seeks a declaration that “vaccine passports” violate the Plaintiffs’ right to move freelywithin Canada, or to enter and leave Canada, contrary to s 6 of the Charter.
However, the pleading does not particularize any factssuggesting that any of the Plaintiffs were prevented from travelling either within or outside Canada. [47] The Statement of Claim includes claims for re-instatement of lost employment, payment of back pay, and various benefits.But the pleading is devoid of any material facts pertaining to the personal circumstances of any of the Plaintiffs’ employment. [48] The Statement of Claim alleges that the Defendants have “knowingly engaged in the misfeasance of their public office, andabuse of authority, through their public office” by “[e]xercising a coercive power to force unwanted “vaccination”” under the TB Policyand Interim Order.
However, the pleading fails to engage with the substance of the TB Policy and Interim Order, which do not forcevaccination and also offer various exemptions and accommodations. [49] In Turmel v Canada, 2021 FC 1095, aff’d, 2022 FCA 166, Justice Russel Zinn upheld a decision of Prothonotary (nowJustice) Mandy Aylen to strike a statement of claim challenging certain measures implemented by the Government of Canada to addressthe COVID-19 pandemic. The plaintiff in that case alleged violations of Charter rights, but neglected to plead material facts or toparticularize the alleged Charter infringements.
As in this case, the pleading consisted largely of bare assertions. [50] The Defendants say the Statement of Claim in this proceeding is comparable to the one filed by the same counsel on behalf ofthe plaintiffs in Action4Canada v British Columbia (Attorney General), 2022 BCSC 1507 [Action4Canada].
In that case, the plaintiffssought damages and other relief from various government entities and employees for harms they allegedly suffered as a result of variousrestrictions instituted in British Columbia due to the COVID-19 pandemic (Action4Canada at para 1). [51] Justice Alan Ross of the British Columbia Supreme Court granted the defendants’ motion to strike the pleading in its entirety,holding as follows (Action4Canada at paras 45-48): […] the [Notice of Civil Claim [NOCC]], in its current form, is not a pleading that can properly be answered by a responsive pleading.
Itdescribes wide-ranging global conspiracies that may, or may not, have influenced either the federal or the provincial governments. Itseeks rulings of the court on issues of science. In addition, it includes improper allegations, including criminal conduct and “crimesagainst humanity”. In my opinion, it is “bad beyond argument”. [46] I further find that it is not a document that the court can mend by striking portions. I find that this NOCC is analogous to theStatement of Claim considered by Justice K. Smith (as he then was) in Homalco Indian Band v.
British Columbia (1998), (BC SC), 25 C.P.C. (4th) 107 (B.C.S.C.) [Homalco]. He wrote: [11] In my view, the statement of claim is an embarrassing pleading. It contains much that appears to be unnecessary. As well, it isconstructed in a manner calculated to confuse the defendants and to make it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to answer. As a result,it is prejudicial.
Any attempt to reform it by striking out portions and by amending other portions is likely to result in more confusion asto the real issues. … [47] As was the case in Homalco, attempting to bring the NOCC into compliance with the Rules by piecemeal striking and amendingwould invite more confusion and greater expenditure of the resources of all concerned. [48] I find that the NOCC is prolix. It is not a proper pleading that can be answered by the defendants. It cannot be mended.
Given thatfinding, I have no hesitation in ruling that it must be struck in whole. [52] The Statement of Claim in this proceeding is similarly “bad beyond argument”. For substantially the same reasons identifiedby Justice Ross in Action4Canada, it must be struck in its entirety. [53] Justice Ross granted leave to the plaintiffs in Action4Canada to amend their pleading. However, he specified that numerousclaims, some of which are also advanced in the present proceeding, are improper in a civil action (Action4Canada at paras 52-53).
Theseinclude allegations of criminal behaviour, broad declarations respecting the current state of medical and scientific knowledge, and adeclaration that administering medical treatment without informed consent is a crime against humanity. [54] To this list of impermissible claims must be added the remedies sought in paragraph 4 of the Statement of Claim, which maybe obtained only on judicial review and not by action (see Wojdan v Canada, 2021 FC 1244): (
a) An interim stay/injunction of the Federal “vaccine mandates” and “passports” nunc pro tunc, effective the day before they wereannounced and/or implemented; (
b) A final stay/injunction of the Federal “vaccine mandates” and “passports” nunc pro tunc, effective the day before they wereannounced and/or implemented. [55] For those Plaintiffs who are employed outside the federal public administration, e.g., with airlines, banks, transportationcompanies, etc., any amended pleading will have to allege sufficient material facts to provide a basis for the federal Crown’s liability. [56] The Plaintiffs who are not subject to s 236 of the FPSLRA have standing to question whether the TB Policy and Interim Order
infringed their rights. There is a prospect that the Plaintiffs could put forward a valid claim that certain COVID-related health measures instituted by the Government of Canada contravened their Charter rights. It is possible that other valid claims may exist. [ 57 ] It will be for the Plaintiffs to plead those causes of action in accordance with the Rules . The claims must be framed in a manner that is intelligible and allows the Defendants to know the case they have to meet.
The claims must also be confined to matters that are capable of adjudication by this Court, and seek relief this Court is capable of granting ( Actio n4Canada at para 71). III. Conclusion [ 58 ] The Plaintiffs who are employed within the CPA have not established that the available internal recourse mechanisms are incapable of providing them with adequate redress. This Court is therefore without jurisdiction to determine the claims advanced in the Statement of Claim, or should decline to exercise any residual discretion it may have.
For those Plaintiffs who are subject to s 236 of the FPSLRA , the Statement of Claim must be struck in its entirety without leave to amend. [ 59 ] For those Plaintiffs who are not subject to s 236 of the FPSLRA , the Statement of Claim must be struck in its entirety, but with leave to amend. Should the Plaintiffs who are not subject to s 236 of the FPSLRA wish to proceed with a civil action respecting the TB Policy and Interim Order, they must plead their causes of action in accordance with the Rules .
The claims must be framed in a manner that is intelligible and allows the Defendants to know the case they have to meet. The claims must also be confined to matters that are capable of adjudication by this Court, and seek relief this Court is capable of granting. ORDER THIS COURT ORDERS that : 1. The Statement of Claim is struck in its entirety without leave to amend in respect of all Plaintiffs who are subject to s 236 of the Federal Public Sector Labour Relations Act , SC 2003, c 22, s 2 . 2.
For the remaining Plaintiffs, the Statement of Claim is struck in its entirety with leave to amend in accordance with the Reasons that accompany this Order. 3. Costs are awarded to the Defendants, payable forthwith and in any event of the cause, in the all-inclusive sum of $5,000. “Simon Fothergill” Judge
Schedule “A” Plaintiffs who are Members of the Core Public Administration Persons employed within the following organizations and who therefore have grievance rights under the Federal Public Sector Labour Relations Act (Schedule I,
Schedule IV and
Schedule V of the Financial Administration Act ): • Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency • Canada Border Services Agency • Canada Revenue Agency • Canada School of Public Service • Canadian Coast Guard (Department of Fisheries and Oceans) • Canadian Food Inspection Agency* • Canadian Forestry Service (Department of Natural Resources) • Canadian Institutes of Health Research* • Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission* • Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission • Canada Revenue Agency* • Canadian Security Intelligence Service* • Core Public Service
• Canadian Space Agency • Correctional Service of Canada • Courts Administration Service • Department of Agriculture and Agri-Food • Department of Canadian Heritage • Department of Employment and Social Development • Department of Fisheries and Oceans • Department of Justice • Department of National Defence • Department of Natural Resources • Department of Transport • Department of Veterans Affairs • Elections Canada ( “Office of the Chief Electoral Officer” and “The portion of the federal public administration in the Office of the Chief Electoral Officer in which the employees referred to in
section 509.3 of the Canada Elections Act occupy their positions” ) • Environment and Climate Change Canada (Department of the Environment) • Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario • Global Affairs Canada (Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development) • Government of Canada • Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (Department of Citizenship and Immigration) • Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (Department of Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs) • Indigenous Services Canada (Department of Indigenous Services) • Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada • National Film Board of Canada (National Film Board)* • National Research Council Canada* • National Security and Intelligence Review Agency (National Security and Intelligence Review Agency Secretariat)* • Office of the Auditor General of Canada* • Parks Canada* • Polar Knowledge Canada (Canadian High Arctic Research Station)* • Public Health Agency of Canada • Public Safety Canada (Department of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness) • Public Services and Procurement Canada • Royal Canadian Mounted Police** • Service Canada (Department of Employment and Social Development) • Shared Services Canada • Staff of the Supreme Court • Statistics Canada • Treasury Board NOTES: All organizations are part of the core public administration as defined at s 11(1) of the Financial Administration Act (Schedules I and
IV), except as noted. * Organizations that are portions of the federal public administration listed in
Schedule V (Separate Agencies of the Financial Administration Act , whose employees have rights to grieve under the Federal Public Sector Labour Relations Act ). ** The RCMP is part of the core public administration and is listed in
Schedule IV of the Financial Administration Act ; RCMP members have limited rights to grieve under s 238.24 the Federal Public Sector Labour Relations Act , but have other grievance rights under the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Act .
Schedule “B” Plaintiffs who are Not Members of the Core Public Administration Persons employed within the following organizations: • Air Canada • Air Canada Jazz • Air Inuit • Bank of Canada • Bank of Montreal • BC Coast Pilots Ltd • BC Ferries • British Columbia Maritime Employers Association • Brookfield Global Integrated Solutions • Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation • Canada Pension Plan • Canada Post • Canadian National Railway • Canadian Pacific Railway • City of Ottawa Garage Fed Regulated • DP World • Export Development Canada • Farm Credit Canada • G4S Airport Screening • Garda Security Screening Inc • Geotech Aviation • Global Container Terminals Canada • Greater Toronto Airports Authority • House of Commons • Human Resources Branch, Innovation • Kelowna Airport Fire Fighters • National Arts Centre • NAV Canada • Ontario Northland Transportation Commission
• Ontario Power Generation • Pacific Pilotage Authority • Parliamentary Protection Service • Public Sector Pension Investment Board • Purolator Inc • Questral Helicopters • RBC Royal Bank • Rise Air • Rogers Communications Inc • Royal Canadian Mint • Sasktel • Scotiabank • Seaspan Victoria Docks • Shaw • Skynorth Air Ltd • Telesat Canada • Via Rail Canada • Wasaya Airways • Waterfront Employers of British Columbia • Westjet • Westshore Terminals FEDERAL COURT SOLICITORS OF RECORD DOCKET: T-1089-22 STYLE OF CAUSE: KAREN ADELBERG ET AL. v HIS MAJESTY THE KING ET AL.
PLACE OF HEARING: TORONTO, ONTARIO DATE OF HEARING: JANUARY 19, 2023 JUDGMENT and reasons: FOTHERGILL J. DATED: February 21, 2023 APPEARANCES : Rocco Galati For The Plaintiffs Adam Gilani Renuka Koilpillai For The Defendants SOLICITORS OF RECORD :
Rocco Galati Law Firm Professional Corporation For The Plaintiffs Attorney General of Canada Toronto, Ontario For The Defendants