2011 FC, 2011 FC 1323
Opinion
Date: 20111129 Docket: T-1327-05 Citation: 2011 FC 1323 BETWEEN: WENZEL DOWNHOLE TOOLS LTD. and WILLIAM WENZEL Plaintiffs and NATIONAL-OILWELL CANADA LTD., NATIONAL OILWELL NOVA SCOTIA COMPANY, NATIONAL OILWELL VARCO INC., DRECO ENERGY SERVICES LTD., VECTOR OIL TOOL LTD. and FREDERICK W. PHEASEY Defendants AND BETWEEN: NATIONAL-OILWELL CANADA LTD., NATIONAL OILWELL NOVA SCOTIA COMPANY, NATIONAL OILWELL VARCO INC., DRECO ENERGY SERVICES LTD., VECTOR OIL TOOL LTD. and FREDERICK W.
PHEASEY Plaintiffs by Counterclaim and WENZEL DOWNHOLE TOOLS LTD and WILLIAM WENZEL Defendants by Counterclaim PUBLIC REASONS FOR JUDGMENT (Confidential Reasons for Judgment released November 18, 2011) SNIDER J. I. INTRODUCTION
[ 1 ] Mr. William (Bill) Wenzel is the named inventor and Wenzel Downhole Tools Ltd. (Wenzel Tools) is the registered patent holder of Canadian Patent No. 2,026,630 (the '630 Patent). As stated in the '630 Patent, the patent relates to a “method of increasing the off bottom load capacity of a bearing assembly”. The bearing assembly designed by Bill Wenzel is a piece of equipment intended for use in the drilling of oil and gas wells. [ 2 ] By Statement of Claim filed July 29, 2005 (Federal Court File No.
T-1327-05), Bill Wenzel and Wenzel Tools (collectively, the Plaintiffs) claim that the Defendants have infringed the '630 Patent through the manufacture and sale or rental of bearing assemblies that are identical in all material respects to those protected by the '630 Patent. In their Statement of Defence and Counterclaim, the Defendants claim that the '630 Patent is invalid. II. ISSUES AND
SUMMARY OF DECISION [ 3 ] Although the Statements of Claim and Defence and Counterclaim raise many issues, by the time the trial of this action was completed, only a few questions remained. [ 4 ] The Defendants concede that, if the '630 Patent is held to be valid, the tools rented or sold by the Defendants, or some of them, infringe the '630 Patent. Thus, the following are the remaining overarching issues for consideration: 1.
Are Claims 1 and 2 of the '630 Patent invalid for the reason that: a. the claims were anticipated by a drilling motor referred to as the “3103 assembly”, which was manufactured and rented to a third party for use in drilling an oil well in Texas prior to the relevant date of the '630 Patent; b. the claims were made obvious by the prior art existent at the relevant date; or c. the '630 Patent failed to have utility as promised by the '630 Patent? 2.
In the event that the '630 Patent was valid and infringed, what remedies should be awarded to the Plaintiffs? [ 5 ] For the reasons that follow, I have determined that Claims 1 and 2 of the '630 Patent are invalid either on the basis of anticipation or obviousness. Given these determinative findings, there is no need to consider the issues of utility or remedies. III. TABLE OF CONTENTS [ 6 ] To assist the reader, the following sets out a Table of Contents for these Reasons, containing references to the relevant paragraph numbers for each subject area. I.
INTRODUCTION ........................................................................... 1 - 2 II. ISSUES AND
SUMMARY OF DECISION ...................................... 3 - 5 III. TABLE OF CONTENTS........................................................................... 6 IV. BACKGROUND .......................................................................... 7 - 32 A. The patent and the parties ...................................................... 7 - 16 B. The use of bearings in downhole drilling motors ................... 17 - 22 C. Witnesses ....................................................................... 23 - 32
(1) Plaintiffs’ witnesses....................................................... 24 - 25
(2) Defendants’ witnesses ................................................. 26 - 32 V. CLAIMS CONSTRUCTION........................................................... 33 - 78 A. Applicable principles of claims construction ......................... 33 - 41 B. Person of ordinary skill in the art .......................................... 42 - 46 C. The '630 Patent ...................................................................... 47 - 48 D. The claims ........................................................................ 49 - 73
(1) Application of the claims to a downhole drilling motor ........................................................................ 56 - 66 (2) “Telescopically received” .................................................... 67 (3) “Generally aligned” vs “generally parallel”...................... 68 - 71 (4) “Inner tubular member”................................................ 72 - 73 E. Essential elements .................................................................. 74 - 76 F. Conclusion on claims construction ........................................ 77 - 78 VI.
ANTICIPATION ...................................................................... 79 - 146 A. General principles .................................................................. 80 - 90 B. Application to the evidence .................................................. 91 - 144
(1) Does the 3103 assembly contain the subject matter of the '630 Patent?..................................................... 96 - 104
(2) Did the 3103 assembly pre-date the '630 Patent? ..... 105- 113
(3) Was the 3103 assembly available to the public? ....... 114 - 144 (
a) Sufficiency of the disclosure ...................... 116 - 124 (
b) Confidentiality ............................................ 125 - 138 (
c) Experimentation ........................................ 139 - 144 C. Conclusion on anticipation ............................................... 145 - 146 VII. OBVIOUSNESS ................................................................................... 147 - 207 A. Legal principles ................................................................. 148 - 150 B. The person skilled in the art ........................................................ 151 C. Common general knowledge ............................................. 152 - 173 D.
The inventive concept ........................................................ 174 - 175 E. Differences between the matter cited as forming part of the "state of the art" and the inventive concept ............... 176 - 191 F. Obviousness of the differences .......................................... 192 - 204 G. Conclusion on obviousness ................................................ 205 - 207 VIII. UTILITY .................................................................... 208 - 213 IX. CONCLUSION ................................................................... 214 - 220
IV. BACKGROUND A. The patent and the parties [ 7 ] In an Agreed Statement of Facts and Exhibits (collectively, Exhibit 1), the parties agreed to a large number of facts concerning the '630 Patent history and the parties to this litigation. In this
section of the reasons, the facts that are material to the issues in this action are set out. [ 8 ] Mr. Bill Wenzel applied for the '630 Patent on October 1, 1990. The patent application was published (or “laid open”) on April 2, 1992 and the '630 Patent was granted to Bill Wenzel on May 17, 1994. Bill Wenzel is the named inventor. [ 9 ] By Assignment dated December 8, 1997, Bill Wenzel assigned his “entire right, title and interest” in the '630 Patent to Wenzel Downhole Tools Inc.
By Assignment dated December 17, 1997, Wenzel Downhole Tools Inc. assigned its “entire right, title and interest” in the '630 Patent to Master Downhole Canada Inc. On February 25, 1998, Master Downhole Canada Inc. changed its name to Wenzel Downhole Tools Ltd. (Wenzel Downhole), the second Plaintiff in this action. [ 10 ] The corporate Defendants are all related corporations. Mr. Frederick W.
Pheasey, who is a director of Dreco Energy Services ULC, successor in interest to Dreco Energy Services Ltd. (Dreco), is also a named Defendant. [ 11 ] The ultimate parent corporation of all the other corporate Defendants is the Defendant National Oilwell Varco Inc. (Varco), a body corporate registered under the laws of the State of Delaware with its head office in Houston , Texas . [ 12 ] The other corporate Defendants are: • National-Oilwell Canada Ltd., a body corporate registered under the laws of Alberta and carrying on business in Alberta and elsewhere in Canada ; • National Oilwell Nova Scotia Company, a body corporate registered under the laws of Nova Scotia ; and • Vector Oil Tool Ltd., now known as Vector Oil Tool ULC (Vector), a body corporate registered under the laws of Alberta . [ 13 ] Although not named as parties to this action, Griffith Oil Tool Ltd. (Griffith) and Mr.
Kenneth (Ken) Wenzel, have played significant roles in the matters leading to this litigation. [ 14 ] Ken Wenzel is Bill Wenzel’s older brother. Griffith was a corporation incorporated in 1974 in which Ken Wenzel owned 10% of the shares and Dreco (or a predecessor) owned 90% of the shares.
In approximately 1980, Ken Wenzel ceased to be a shareholder in Griffith . “Griffith Oil Tool” and “Griffith” have been trade names often used by Dreco and other affiliates of Varco to identify downhole drilling tool products, including positive displacement drilling motors, drilling jars and service tools, which Dreco and other affiliates of Varco sell, rent and maintain through various facilities worldwide. [ 15 ] Ken Wenzel owns Kenneth H. Wenzel Oilfield Consulting Inc. (Ken Wenzel Consulting).
In October 1986, Ken Wenzel Consulting entered into a contract with Dreco to provide Ken Wenzel’s services in the design and development of drilling tools. Effective January 1, 1991, the obligation of Ken Wenzel Consulting to provide Ken Wenzel’s services to Dreco was terminated. [ 16 ] As a consequence of the settlement of litigation in Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench (Action Numbers 0203 12910 and 0603- 14265 ) , Ken Wenzel has agreed to pay a portion of damages awarded against Dreco or Vector in this action.
B. The use of bearings in downhole drilling motors [ 17 ] The dispute between the parties to this litigation centres on a piece of oilfield equipment which facilitates the drilling of oil and gas wells. All of the expert witnesses assisted me in understanding the technical aspects of drilling operations and, in particular, the function of downhole drilling motors and the bearing assemblies in those motors. [ 18 ] Oil and gas wells are drilled through earth and rock by rotating a drill bit on the bottom end of drill pipe.
For deeper wells and wells that deviate from vertical – known generally as directionally or horizontally drilled wells – the drill bit is often rotated by means of a downhole drilling or “mud” motor which is located close to the drill bit.
The mud motor uses the energy of flowing drilling mud in the wellbore to turn a shaft that is connected to the drill bit and, thus, makes it possible to drill a well without the need for the entire drill stem to rotate during the drilling operation. [ 19 ] Bearings are not unique to the oilfield; they are useful whenever there is relative movement between two parts of a machine or apparatus. Bearings (such as balls or rollers) are usually located between two races.
Because the bearings are able to move more freely within the constraints of their races than the surrounding components, they have a much lower coefficient of friction than if two flat surfaces were rotating against each other. They can, thus, reduce rotational friction and support radial and axial loads. [ 20 ] “Bearing assembly” is the term used to describe the entire design context within which the bearings are placed.
A bearing assembly may include a number of different components such as races, springs and washers to assist in the handling of the specific loads for a given application or to enhance durability of the bearing assembly. Bearing assemblies can be designed to support loads perpendicular to the axis (“radial loads”) or parallel to the axis (“axial loads”). Axial load-bearing assemblies are commonly referred to as “thrust bearings”.
Bearing assemblies that are intended to handle both compression and tension loading are known as “bi-directional thrust bearing assemblies”. [ 21 ] In the context of downhole mud motors and oil and gas well drilling, axial loads (acting parallel to the drill stem) are the main forces on the drilling apparatus. Axial loading can be in one of two directions:
i) compression load – also referred to as on-bottom load – created as the bit and drill stem are forcing through the earth or rock; or ii) tension load – also referred to as off-bottom load – created as the bit and drill stem are lifted. Although the main loads in drilling a well would be axial, radial loads will also be encountered, particularly where deviated wells are drilled. [ 22 ] The bi-directional thrust bearing assembly designed and patented by Bill Wenzel is an example of a bi-directional thrust bearing assembly for use in downhole drilling motors. C. Witnesses [ 23 ] During nine days of evidence, a number of fact and expert witnesses appeared. A brief
summary of the witnesses and the areas their testimony addressed is described in this
section of the reasons.
(1) Plaintiffs’ witnesses [ 24 ] Mr. Bill Wenzel was the only fact witness for the Plaintiffs. He is a machinist and a designer of downhole drilling tools. He is listed as the inventor or co-inventor on approximately 30 US and Canadian patents for downhole drilling tools, including the '630 Patent.
In his testimony, Bill Wenzel spoke to a number of topics including: • his business relationships with his brothers, Ken, Doug, and Bob Wenzel; • the mechanics of downhole drilling and downhole drilling tools; • the development of the '630 Patent and its operation; • prior art; • a previous infringement action; and • damages. [ 25 ] Mr. Brian Thicke is a professional engineer, currently employed by a consulting engineering firm in Edmonton . Of relevance to this case, Mr. Thicke has experience in the oil and gas industry and with downhole tools.
He has also worked with bearings and bearing assemblies in a variety of applications. Mr. Thicke was qualified by the Court as an expert regarding the design and operation of mechanical devices, including bearings, bearing assemblies and downhole earth drilling tools. Mr. Thicke provided his expert opinion on the issues of claims construction, infringement, anticipation, obviousness, utility and the promise of the patent, the person of ordinary skill in the art and the general knowledge at the relevant time.
(2) Defendants’ witnesses [ 26 ] Mr. Ken Wenzel was a key fact witness for the Defendants. Ken Wenzel holds several patents related to the oil and gas industry. He spoke to a number of topics including: • His business relationships with his brothers; • his involvement in a number of different companies in the downhole drilling tools industry; • the development and use of the 3103 assembly (described later in these Reasons); and • his knowledge of the ' 630 Patent. [ 27 ] Mr. David Kutinsky was a fact witness for the Defendants.
He is a draftsman in the oil industry and he has worked with a number of downhole drilling tools including drilling jars, shock tools, mud motors and their components. Of particular relevance, Mr. Kutinsky worked with Mr. Ken Wenzel at Griffith . His testimony included the following topics: • the operation of a bearing assembly; • his working relationship with Ken Wenzel; • the development of the 3124, 238, 3103, and 3104 bearing assemblies; and
• the design process, including document dating procedures. [ 28 ] Mr. Wayne Kanak , a fact witness for the Defendants, is an intellectual property lawyer for Schlumberger Canada Limited (Schlumberger). He previously acted as patent counsel for that company. Mr. Kanak gave evidence regarding the operations of Anadrill, a former division of Schlumberger and his investigation into the allegation of infringement of Bill Wenzel’s US patent for the '630 bearing assembly. [ 29 ] Mr. Michael Finnie is a digital forensic specialist.
His work involves identifying, collecting, preserving and analyzing digitally stored evidence, often in the course of litigation. He is also an instructor at the University of Washington in the Computer Forensics certificate program. The Court qualified Mr. Finnie as an expert in digital forensics to give evidence regarding the collection, preservation, and analysis of digitally stored media, software and files, including the forensic analysis of electronic discovery and the assessment and analysis of metadata and encrypted information on digitally stored media, software and files, including items such as dates.
Mr. Finnie spoke to the nature of metadata and his analysis of the creation date of various AutoCAD files of the Defendants. [ 30 ] Mr. Allan Nelson is a professional engineer with a consulting firm. He has been involved in drilling and service rig repair, design and operation since obtaining a degree in mechanical engineering in the design field. Mr. Nelson’s consulting work includes drill pipe and bottom hole tool failure analysis, downhole equipment design, and general machinery design. Mr.
Nelson has done patent analysis work and he has also worked with bearings, bearing assemblies, tubular members, axial and radial forces, and relative rotation dynamics. Mr. Nelson was qualified by the Court as an expert mechanical engineer regarding the construction and scope of the '630 Patent, prior art relating to the '630 Patent, specifically regarding anticipation and obviousness, and the characteristics of a person of ordinary skill in the art. Mr. Nelson provided opinions on the person of ordinary skill in the art, claims construction, prior art, obviousness, inventiveness, and utility. [ 31 ] Dr.
Gary Wooley is a consulting petroleum and mechanical engineer and a registered professional engineer in Texas . He holds a PhD in engineering science. The Court qualified Dr. Wooley as an expert in petroleum and mechanical engineering to give expert opinion evidence on the construction and scope of the '630 Patent, prior art relating to anticipation and obviousness, and the characteristics of a person of ordinary skill in the art. Dr. Wooley spoke to all of those issues, particularly prior art and the common general knowledge of the person of ordinary skill in the art. Dr.
Wooley also provided assistance to the Court on the issue of utility. [ 32 ] Mr. Jack Miller is a professional mechanical engineer. He has experience in the field of mechanical design, including the design of a mud motor driven core barrel. Several patents have been filed in his name. Mr. Miller was qualified by the court as an expert mechanical engineer to give expert opinion evidence on the construction and scope of the '630 Patent, prior art, obviousness, utility, and characteristics of a person of ordinary skill in the art. Mr.
Miller provided opinions on all of these issues, particularly prior art and the terminology used in the '630 claims. Mr. Miller also considered the Canadian and US file wrappers and spoke to the availability of the prior art. V. CLAIMS CONSTRUCTION A.
Applicable principles of claims construction [ 33 ] Before turning to the issues of invalidity and infringement, as taught by the Supreme Court of Canada, I must construe the relevant claims of the '630 Patent ( Whirlpool Corp v Camco Inc , 2000 SCC 67 at para 43 , [2000] 2 SCR 1067 [ Whirlpool ] ; Free World Trust v Électro Santé Inc , 2000 SCC 66 at para 15 , [2000] 2 SCR 1024 [ Free World Trust ] ). [ 34 ] In construing this patent, I am mindful of the guidance from the decisions of the Supreme Court of Canada ( Whirlpool , above; Free World Trust , above).
These cases teach that patent claims are to be construed in an informed and purposive fashion and that excessive literalism is to be avoided. As Justice Binnie explained in Whirlpool , above at paragraph 45 : The key to purposive construction is therefore the identification by the court, with the assistance of the skilled reader, of the particular words or phrases in the claims that describe what the inventor considered to be the “essential” elements of his invention. [ 35 ] Construction of the patent must be done through the eyes of a person of ordinary skill in the art.
My first task is to determine the attributes of such a person. The Supreme Court offered the following guidance on the identification of the person of ordinary skill in the art in Whirlpool , above at paragraph 53 :
[T]he patent specification is not addressed to grammarians, etymologists or to the public generally, but to skilled individuals sufficiently versed in the art to which the patent relates to enable them on a technical level to appreciate the nature and description of the invention: H. G. Fox, The Canadian Law and Practice Relating to Letters Patent for Inventions (4th ed. 1969), at p. 185. [ 36 ] In Free World Trust , above at paragraph 44 , Justice Binnie stated as follows: The patent is not addressed to an ordinary member of the public, but to a worker skilled in the art described by Dr. Fox [in Fox, Harold G.
The Canadian Law and Practice Relating to Letters Patent for Inventions, 4 th ed. Toronto : Carswell, 1969, at 184] as a hypothetical person possessing the ordinary skill and knowledge of the particular art to which the invention relates, and a mind willing to understand a specification that is addressed to him. This hypothetical person has sometimes been equated with the “reasonable man” used as a standard in negligence cases.
He is assumed to be a man who is going to try to achieve success and not one who is looking for difficulties or seeking failure. (Fox, supra , at p. 184) [ 37 ] For purposes of claims construction, the relevant date is the date of the publication or the date upon which the patent was laid open ( Free World Trust , above at paras 53-54 ). In this case, that date is April 2, 1992. [ 38 ] In general, what makes an element essential?
A useful explanation was provided by Lord Diplock in the House of Lord's decision in Catnic Components Ltd v Hill & Smith Ltd , [1982] RPC 183 at 242-243 ( cited in Whirlpool , above at para 44 ): My Lords, a patent specification is a unilateral statement by the patentee, in words of his own choosing, addressed to those likely to have a practical interest in the subject matter of his invention (i.e. “skilled in the art”), by which he informs them what he claims to be the essential features of the new product or process for which the letters patent grant him a monopoly.
It is those novel features only that he claims to be essential that constitute the so-called “pith and marrow” of the claim . A patent specification should be given a purposive construction rather than a purely literal one derived from applying to it the kind of meticulous verbal analysis in which lawyers are too often tempted by their training to indulge.
The question in each case is: whether persons with practical knowledge and experience of the kind of work in which the invention was intended to be used, would understand that strict compliance with a particular descriptive word or phrase appearing in a claim was intended by the patentee to be an essential requirement of the invention so that any variant would fall outside the monopoly claimed, even though it could have no material effect upon the way the invention worked. [Italics in original; underlining added]. [ 39 ] In very succinct terms, an essential element is one that, if it were changed, would affect how the invention works. [ 40 ] A difference of opinion has arisen in this case as to the extent to which the patent specification may play a role in the construction of the claims.
The question is always what the person skilled in the art would have understood the language of the claim to mean. For this purpose, the language the patentee has chosen is usually of critical importance. However, the jurisprudence teaches that, where necessary, the whole of the patent, and not only the claims, should be considered ( Eli Lilly Canada Inc v Apotex Inc , 2008 FC 142 at para 25 , 323 FTR 56 ; Eli Lilly Canada Inc v Novopharm Ltd , 2007 FC 596 at para 103 , [2008] 2 FCR 749 ).
The Court should construe the claims in light of the description in the specification, assisted by experts as to the meaning of technical terms if such terms cannot be understood by the Court from reading the specification ( Shire Biochem Inc. v. Canada (Minister of Health) , 2008 FC 538 at para 22 , 328 FTR 123 ; Whirlpool , above at para 45 ).
But, as strongly cautioned by the jurisprudence, the specification may not be used to expand or contract the substance of what is claimed ( Whirlpool , above at para 52 ; Janssen-Ortho Inc v Canada (Minister of Health) , 2010 FC 42 at paras 115-19 , 361 FTR 268 ). [ 41 ] With these principles in mind, I turn to the ' 630 Patent. I will begin by defining our person of ordinary skill in the art. I will then move to the patent description and claims, focusing on the points of disagreement between the parties.
Finally, in light of the analysis, I will set out what I believe would be seen as the essential elements of the ' 630 Patent. B. Person of ordinary skill in the art [ 42 ] As noted above, the relevant claims of the ' 630 Patent must be construed from the point of view of a person of ordinary skill in the art. The Plaintiffs correctly highlight the word “ordinary” in the context of describing our notional person of ordinary skill in the
art. I agree that persons such as the experts who presented their opinions during this trial and the inventor, Bill Wenzel, and his brother, Ken Wenzel, should not be considered to be the person of ordinary skill to whom the patent is addressed. However, also correctly, the Defendants emphasize that this person must have “skill in the art”. [ 43 ] Each of the experts provided me with their criteria for the skilled person. Dr. Wooley, in his expert report described the person of ordinary skill in the art as follows (Exhibit 1, Tab 59, s 1.2.1.).
In my experience with directional drilling and the mechanics of downhole tools such as mud motors, persons skilled in the art that might try to understand the Wenzel 630 Patent and other similar devices would be a person with mechanical aptitude and experience, some understanding of downhole conditions and operations, and a reasonable amount of training, but may not be a degreed engineer. In his Rebuttal Report, Mr. Thicke, the expert retained by the Plaintiffs, agreed with this description (Exhibit 1, Tab 54, Appendix 12). [ 44 ] When asked during his examination-in-chief, Mr.
Miller provided an excellent description of the skilled person’s attributes: Well, it would obviously be someone who is -- who is [in the] business is to develop downhole tools and that it would be somebody who has had to struggle with packaging bearing assemblies, maybe someone who has -- has actually seen a service problems, has experience with service problems with bearings and one who would be on the lookout for a bearing assembly that might work for him. As far as how technically talented they are, I think they would be very technically talented. Education is no certification of that, in my opinion.
So it could be somebody who has worked in the shop, although not likely, is probably someone who actually had to do the layouts of how these things all fit together on paper, you know. So it's not likely to be somebody who just -- who is a service hand, so to speak. It will be somebody who is inclined to understand and appreciate how these tools work. [ 45 ] While the other experts who opined on the skilled person used somewhat different language, their views did not diverge substantially from those of Dr. Wooley, as further refined by Mr.
Miller. [ 46 ] Taking all of these comments into account, I am satisfied that, while our skilled person may not have much formal education, he (or she) has the ability to understand the drawings and claims of a patent in the field. From his experience, he would have a working knowledge of many mechanical devices – how they are constructed, used and how they work. This knowledge would extend to an understanding of how oil and gas wells are drilled, including the various drilling environments.
He would also have a basic (albeit not highly technical) comprehension of the forces that are in play under different conditions. He may have some experience adapting or modifying existing tools to meet a need; to that extent, he would have some limited ability to design devices. The characteristics of the person that I have described, in my view, strike a balance between someone who is merely “ordinary” and someone who brings inventiveness to the task at hand. C.
The ' 630 Patent [ 47 ] In assessing the claims of the patent, it is useful to begin with an overview of how the bearing assembly of the ' 630 Patent is intended to work. In this regard, the experts did not disagree. The diagram below is a replication of Figure 2 from the patent, with the addition of label “14” to depict the inner tubular member. Figure 2 is a close-up version of the bearing assembly set out in Figure 1 of the ' 630 Patent.
[ 48 ] The operation of the assemply depicted in Figures 1 and 2 is set out at page 7 of the Patent and was described in clear terms by Mr. Miller (Exhibit 1, Tab 58B at 3) as follows: Figure 1 illustrates a schematic of the bearing chamber described in the 630 Patent defined by the downwardly facing outer shoulder 20, the downwardly facing inner shoulder 26, the upwardly facing outer shoulder 22, and the upwardly facing inner shoulder 28.
What is described and depicted in the figure is simply a four-shouldered thrust bearing containment chamber 32 formed between the outer tubular member 12 and the inner tubular member 14. The containment chamber is also described (or defined) in claims 1a, 1b, 2a, and 2b of the 630 Patent.
The thrust bearing assembly inclusive of races and rollers is shown in Figure 1 as items 34, 36, and 18. [diagram omitted] As the inner tube 14 (mandrel) moves upward with respect to the outer tube 12 (housing) (the “on-bottom” condition, meaning while drilling on the well bottom) from the neutral position, the chamber between the closing shoulders becomes shorter. Similarly, as the inner tube moves downward with respect to the outer tube (the “off-bottom” condition, meaning the assembly is lifted from the on- bottom position) from the neutral position, the chamber between the shoulders also becomes shorter.
Since the thrust bearing spans across the inner and outer shoulders, it is obvious that the motion in either direction (i.e., compression or tension) loads the bearing in compression. The stated advantages of this arrangement are that it allows for a single bearing assembly to be used for both thrust directions and, therefore, the assembly may be shorter than would be possible if using separate bearings for upward thrust loads and downward thrust loads. D. The claims [ 49 ] The ' 630 Patent makes three claims. Only Claims 1 and 2 are in issue in this trial.
[ 50 ] Claim 1 of the ' 630 Patent is a claim to a method of operating a bearing assembly using the known components set out in the introduction and the novel steps described in sub-items a, b and c of Claim 1: 1.
A method of increasing the off bottom load capacity of a bearing assembly having an outer tubular member, an inner tubular member telescopically received within the outer tubular member, and bearings disposed between the inner tubular member and outer tubular member to facilitate relative rotation of the outer tubular member and inner tubular member while accommodating radial and axial loads, comprising the steps of: a. firstly, forming a first shoulder and a second shoulder in opposed spaced relation on an interior surface of the outer tubular member; b. secondly, forming a first shoulder and a second shoulder in opposed spaced relation on an exterior surface of the inner tubular member, the shoulders on the inner tubular member being generally aligned with the shoulders on the outer tubular member thereby defining a containment chamber; and c. thirdly, placing at least one thrust bearing in the containment chamber, the thrust bearing having a first side race and a second side race, such that when the bearing assembly is placed in compression the first shoulder of the outer tubular member bears against the first side race and the second shoulder of the inner tubular member bears against the second side race, and when the bearing assembly is placed in tension the second shoulder of the outer tubular member bears against the second side race and the first shoulder of the inner tubular member bears against the first side race. [ 51 ] Claim 2 is a claim to an improvement in a bearing assembly.
The improvement consists of sub-items a, b and c. It is significant that Claim 2 is not a dependent claim; apparently, the inventor intended that each of the two Claims could stand on its own. 2.
An improvement in a bearing assembly having an outer tubular member, an inner tubular member telescopically received within the outer tubular member, and bearings disposed between the inner tubular member and outer tubular member to facilitate relative rotation of the outer tubular member and inner tubular member while bearing radial and axial loads, the improvement comprising: a. a first shoulder and a second shoulder in opposed spaced relation on an interior surface of the outer tubular member; b. a first shoulder and a second shoulder in opposed spaced relation on an exterior surface of the inner tubular member, the shoulders on the inner tubular member being generally parallel to the shoulders on the outer tubular member thereby defining a containment chamber; and c. at least one thrust bearing disposed in the containment chamber, the thrust bearing having a first side race and a second side race, such that when the bearing assembly in placed in compression the first shoulder of the outer tubular member bears against the first side race and the second shoulder of the inner tubular member bears against the second side race, and when the bearing assembly is placed in tension the second shoulder of the outer tubular member bears against the second side race and the first shoulder of the inner tubular member bears against the first side race. [ 52 ] Other than a grammatical change of tense to reflect the difference between a “method” (Claim 1) and an “improvement” (Claim 2), there is little difference between the two claims. [ 53 ] Claim 3 is not directly in issue.
This claim refers to a biasing means (spring) added to the containment chamber referred to in Claims 1 and 2. In other words, Claim 3 is a dependent claim. Thus, if I conclude that Claims 1 and 2 are invalid, Claim 3 will necessarily fail. [ 54 ] The question of the appropriate claims construction focused on a number of specific terms and issues: (
a) Do the claims support a meaning that would limit their application to a downhole drilling motor? (
b) What is the meaning of “telescopically received” in Claims 1 and 2? (
c) What if anything is the significance of the use of the words “generally aligned” in Claim 1 as opposed to “generally parallel” in Claim 2?
(
d) Does the term “inner tubular member” encompass both a cylindrical tube and a shaft? [ 55 ] I will consider each of these questions.
(1) Application of the claims to a downhole drilling motor [ 56 ] A major point of disagreement on claims construction is the question of the field of endeavour to which the claims relate. In the view of the Defendants, the claims are non-industry and non-product specific. In contrast, the Plaintiffs submit that the claims are related to a bearing assembly used in downhole earth-drilling. [ 57 ] The Defendants rely on the testimony of Bill Wenzel to support their view that the claims are not limited to any industry- specific application.
In particular, they point to the following exchange that took place during the cross-examination of Bill Wenzel by counsel for the Defendants: Q So are there any -- let's put it this way. Can I -- would you agree that the essence of your claimed invention is -- consists of the following. First of all, you've got four shoulders forming a containment unit? A That's correct. Q Secondly, you've got bearings in that containment unit? A Correct. Q One or more bearings, at least one bearing? A That's correct. Q You've got races? A That's correct. That's part of the bearing.
Q Goes on either side of the bearing, is that it? A Yes, a bearing consists of basically three parts: a race, rollers and a race. Q Well, a bearing can be a ball bearing as well? A Yes, but it still has races on both sides. Q No, I don't dispute that. Just trying to suggest to you that a bearing could be either a roller bearing or a ball bearing? A Well, absolutely.
Q So bearings and races, or if you want to say bearings including races, we're in agreement on that? A Yes. Q Okay, and then there's relative rotation between the outer and the inner tubular members; right? A That's correct. Q And that fancy term, outer and inner tubular members, is really simply a technical way, if you like, of describing a tube? A That's correct. Q A cylinder maybe? A Yes.
Q Okay, so if you have those four things, if we can just go through them: the shoulders creating -- the four shoulders creating a containment unit; the bearings and races, if you include that as part of the bearings, or separately if you don't, but, in any event, and you've got relative rotation between the cylinders. Is that the essence of your claimed invention? A I guess, yes.
Yes. [ 58 ] The problem with the Defendants’ reliance on Bill Wenzel’s opinion for the construction of the patent is that Bill Wenzel is neither an expert entitled to provide me with opinion evidence nor a person of ordinary skill in the art through whose eyes I am to read the claims. For one thing, Bill Wenzel’s simple description of the essence of his invention did not include certain of the components or elements identified by the experts. Specifically, a person of ordinary skill in the art would read the claims to include the placement and special relationship between the shoulders and the tubular members.
Bill Wenzel’s description of his invention is not of particular assistance on the question of claims construction. [ 59 ] I acknowledge that the words of Claim 2 do not explicitly use the words “downhole” or “oil and gas” or “mud motor”. Would that lead a skilled reader to the conclusion that the claims – and, in particular, Claim 2 – are non-industry and non-product specific?
I do not think that it would. [ 60 ] As observed by the Defendants, the “preamble” to both Claim 1 and Claim 2 is a statement of the state of the art; the elements of the invention that are allegedly new and novel are set out in sub-claims a, b and c of each of the claims. In the
preamble to Claim 1, the term “off bottom” is used. As confirmed by Mr. Thicke, this is a term normally associated with earth drilling. Yet, in an almost identical Claim 2, the term “off bottom” is not used. In light of this odd omission, my view is that the skilled reader would look to the specification for assistance in ascertaining the purpose and meaning of the claims. [ 61 ] To give a purposive construction to the claims of a patent, it seems to me that one should understand the purpose of the invention and the problem that the invention sought to address.
For the most part, inventors come to their patentable inventions in order to solve a problem. What was the problem that the '630 Patent was intended to address? [ 62 ] As set out in the specification of the '630 Patent, until Bill Wenzel’s invention, it was the practice in the industry to have two separate groups of thrust bearings – one to take compression loading and the other to take tension loading – in a downhole drilling motor.
According to Bill Wenzel’s description, because compression loading is normally much greater than tension loading, the off-bottom bearing was usually designed to take much less load than the set or group of on-bottom bearings. Bill Wenzel, in his patent, described this practice as a “weak link in the design of bearing assemblies” (Patent, p. 1, lines 30-31). However, Bill Wenzel points out at pages 1-2 of the Patent that: [S]hould the drill string temporarily become stuck in the bore hole the upwardly jarring force used to dislodge the drill string often exceeds the load capability of the off bottom bearing and damages the bearing assembly. [ 63 ] In his invention
summary, Bill Wenzel indicates that his invention offers a “method of increasing the off bottom load capacity of a bearing assembly without increasing the length of the tool” (Patent, p. 2, lines 12-14). In sum, this then was the “problem” that was solved by the ' 630 Patent. The problem identified by Bill Wenzel was not a general one; it was unique to the use of a bearing assembly as part of a downhole drilling motor.
The claims, if read as being more broadly framed, are not consistent with that purpose. [ 64 ] Moreover, the ' 630 Patent bears the title of “Method of Increasing the Off Bottom Load Capacity of a Bearing Assembly” and, as directly stated in the patent specification, relates to that purpose. At page 1 of the Patent, at line 6, the inventor refers to his invention as a “downhole bearing assembly used in earth drilling”.
Other references in the Patent also speak to the field of the Patent; for example: • Figures 1 and 2 both clearly depict the bearing assembly in the context of a downhole drilling motor. • At p. 1, lines 15-18, the statement is made that “compression loading is the greater of the two in an earth drilling application as the weight of the drill string is brought to bear on the bearing assembly” [Emphasis added]. [ 65 ] As stated by Dr. Wooley in his expert report (Exhibit 1, Tab 59, s 3.1.1), “[c]learly the Wenzel 630 Patent is designed for downhole tools used for drilling …”. I agree.
The ' 630 Patent is directed to a downhole drilling motor and, in my view, there is no doubt that the skilled reader would read the claims in that context. Stated in the negative, a skilled reader would not conclude that this Patent is directed to a bearing assembly such as that seen, for example, in a railway wheel or a bearing assembly for use in any other oilfield application. [ 66 ] In sum, reading the claims in a purposive manner, consistent with the specification and the drawings, would lead the reader inextricably to a bearing assembly for a downhole drilling motor.
To read the claims in a manner that included any bearing assembly application, as suggested by the Defendants, would expand the claims beyond the scope of the ' 630 Patent. (2) “Telescopically received” [ 67 ] There was some discussion about the term “telescopically received” in Claims 1 and 2. Having heard the expert testimony on this issue, it appears to me that the words “telescopically received” add nothing whatsoever to the claims. These are not claims that speak to the assembly of the bearing assembly.
Nor does the bearing assembly operate to facilitate movement of one tubular member up and down while the other stays stationary; the movement accommodated is a rotational movement of one tubular member in relation to the other member. (3) “Generally aligned” vs “generally parallel” [ 68 ] In Claim 1, the inventor uses the words “generally aligned” to describe the relative placement of the shoulders on the inner tubular member with the shoulders on the outer tubular member. In Claim 2, the words “generally parallel” are used. This is an odd difference.
It is clear that something that is aligned may not be parallel to the opposing object. The term “parallel” has a precise mathematical meaning; “aligned” does not. [ 69 ] When asked about this difference, Mr. Miller responded as follows: It’s a mystery to me. . . . You can have parallelism without being aligned. So you know, technically speaking, [its] parallelism wouldn’t be enough to -- would not be enough to form the containment chamber as envisioned.
Further on in his testimony, Mr. Miller acknowledged that, taking into account the drawings and sketching out all of the elements, one could come to the conclusion that the use of the word “parallel” means the same thing as “aligned”. I agree that this
interpretation would give the most purposeful meaning. [ 70 ] Reading the words “parallel” and “aligned” in context is also helpful. As stated in each of the claims, whether the shoulders are aligned or parallel, the object is to position the shoulders such that they define a containment chamber. It may be that the words “parallel to” and “aligned with” could be replaced with the word “positioned next to”. The important thing is that the shoulders are positioned in such a manner as to form a containment chamber. [ 71 ] In addition, I note the use of the adverb “generally” to modify both “aligned” and “parallel”.
That word connotes a relaxation of any strict requirement of either “aligned” or “parallel” leaving our notional skilled person (and this judge) to conclude that the better view is that “generally aligned” has the same meaning as “generally parallel”.
In either case, the word “generally” means that some small variations could be made or that the majority – but possibly not all – of the surfaces of the shoulders are aligned with the other shoulders. (4) “Inner tubular member” [ 72 ] The Defendants submit that the term “inner tubular member” could include both a cylinder with a hole through the centre or a solid shaft. For purposes of construction of the claims, I do not agree. [ 73 ] As stated above, I am satisfied that a purposive construction of the ' 630 Patent claims limits their applicability to a downhole drilling motor.
In that context, “inner tubular member” cannot refer to a solid shaft. The use of a solid shaft would not permit the drilling motor to operate as intended. The term “inner tubular member” must mean a cylinder with a hollow centre. E. Essential elements [ 74 ] In view of the foregoing analysis, what are the essential elements of Claims 1 and 2 of the ' 630 Patent? In his expert report (Exhibit 1, Tab 59, s 3.3.1), Dr. Wooley provided a comprehensive list of the individual components of these two claims: 1. An outer tubular member. 2.
An inner tubular member telescopically received within the outer tubular member. 3. Bearings between the inner tubular member and outer tubular member to facilitate relative rotation of the outer tubular member and inner tubular member while accommodating radial and axial loads. 4. A first shoulder and a second shoulder in opposed spaced relation on an interior surface of the outer tubular member. 5. A first shoulder and a second shoulder in opposed spaced relation on an exterior surface of the inner tubular member. 6.
The shoulders on the inner tubular member being generally aligned (or parallel - claim 2) with the shoulders on the outer tubular member thereby defining a containment chamber. 7. At least one thrust bearing in the containment chamber. 8. The thrust bearing having a first side race and a second side race such that when the bearing assembly is placed in compression the first shoulder of the outer tubular member bears against the first side race and the second shoulder of the inner tubular
member bears against the second side race. 9. When the bearing assembly is placed in tension the second shoulder of the outer tubular member bears against the second side race and the first shoulder of the inner tubular member bears against the first side race. [ 75 ] Mr. Thicke agreed with this list of components (Exhibit 1, Tab 54, Appendix 12).
While I agree that these are the components of the ' 630 Patent, we still must determine the essential components of the Claims. [ 76 ] The first three components are, as acknowledged by the inventor in the specification and as set out in Claims 1 and 2, simply references to the state of the art that existed at the time of Bill Wenzel’s invention. The “inventive” or essential components to the invention are found in components 4 to 9 of the above list. F. Conclusion on claims construction [ 77 ] In
summary on the issue of claims construction, I conclude that Claim 1 (the method) and Claim 2 (the improvement) are directed to a downhole drilling motor that includes an outer tubular member, an inner tubular member and bearings between the inner tubular member and outer tubular member to facilitate relative rotation of the outer tubular member and inner tubular member while accommodating radial and axial loads. The inner tubular member is a cylinder with a hollow centre. The essential elements of the invention disclosed by Claims 1 and 2 are as follows: 1.
A first shoulder and a second shoulder in opposed spaced relation on an interior surface of the outer tubular member. 2. A first shoulder and a second shoulder in opposed spaced relation on an exterior surface of the inner tubular member. 3. The shoulders on the inner tubular member being generally aligned (or parallel) with the shoulders on the outer tubular member in such a manner as to define a containment chamber. 4. At least one thrust bearing in the containment chamber. 5. The thrust bearing having a first side race and a second side race such that: (
a) when the bearing assembly is placed in compression the first shoulder of the outer tubular member bears against the first side race and the second shoulder of the inner tubular member bears against the second side race; and (
b) when the bearing assembly is placed in tension the second shoulder of the outer tubular member bears against the second side race and the first shoulder of the inner tubular member bears against the first side race. [ 78 ] This then is the construction that will inform my analysis of the remaining issues in this litigation. VI. ANTICIPATION [ 79 ] The Defendants submit that the ' 630 Patent is invalid for anticipation. Specifically, they claim that the invention of the ' 630 Patent was anticipated by:
• a drilling motor bearing assembly (the 3103 assembly) designed by Ken Wenzel, built by Griffith Oil Tool and used in a drilling operation prior to the ' 630 Patent filing date of October 1, 1990; or • a core barrel, which is a device used in coring, an operation often part of drilling an oil or gas well and which device was well known in oil and gas operations for many decades prior to the ' 630 Patent. A. General principles [ 80 ] I begin this
section of the Reasons by referring to the general legal principles of anticipation. [ 81 ] The concept of anticipation arises from s. 28.2 of the Patent Act , RSC 1985, c P-4 [ Patent Act or Act ]. In short, this provision requires that the “subject matter defined by a claim” must not have been disclosed to the public before the claim date “in such a manner that the subject-matter became available to the public in Canada or elsewhere”.
Section 28.2 (
b) is the relevant provision; it states: Subject-matter of claim must not be previously disclosed 28.2
(1) The subject-matter defined by a claim in an application for a patent in Canada (the “pending application”) must not have been disclosed . . . (
b) before the claim date by a person not mentioned in paragraph (
a) in such a manner that the subject-matter became available to the public in Canada or elsewhere; Objet non divulgué 28.2
(1) L’objet que définit la revendication d’une demande de brevet ne doit pas : . . .
b) avant la date de la revendication, avoir fait, de la part d’une autre personne, l’objet d’une communication qui l’a rendu accessible au public au Canada ou ailleurs; [ 82 ] The leading case on the question of anticipation is the Supreme Court’s decision in Apotex Inc v Sanofi-Synthelabo Canada Inc , 2008 SCC 61 , [2008] 3 SCR 265 [ Sanofi-Synthelabo ] . In that case, the Supreme Court concluded that the issue of whether an invention is anticipated by the prior art requires that the Court have regard to two questions: 1. Was the subject matter of the invention disclosed to the public by a single disclosure? 2.
If there has been such a clear disclosure, is the working of the invention enabled by that disclosure? [ 83 ] At the first step of the analysis, the Supreme Court provided the following guidance at paragraph 25: When considering the role of the person skilled in the art in respect of disclosure, the skilled person is “taken to be trying to understand what the author of the description [in the prior patent] meant” (para. 32). At this stage, there is no room for trial and error or experimentation by the skilled person.
He is simply reading the prior patent for the purposes of understanding it. [ 84 ] Once disclosure has been made out, the question of enablement arises. Enablement was described by the Supreme Court at paragraph 27: Once the subject matter of the invention is disclosed by the prior patent, the person skilled in the art is assumed to be willing to make
trial and error experiments to get it to work. While trial and error experimentation is permitted at the enablement stage, it is not at the disclosure stage.
For purposes of enablement, the question is no longer what the skilled person would think the disclosure of the prior patent meant, but whether he or she would be able to work the invention. [ 85 ] The evidence relevant to anticipation consists solely of the prior art as understood by the skilled person ( Weatherford Canada Ltd v Corlac Inc , 2011 FCA 228 at para 42 , [2011] FCJ No 1090 (QL) , rev’g on other grounds 2010 FC 602 , 370 FTR 54 [ Weatherford FCA ] ). [ 86 ] In this case, the key question is whether the 3103 assembly was disclosed “in such a manner that the subject-matter became available to the public in Canada or elsewhere”.
With respect to this issue, the case of Baker Petrolite Corp v Canwell-Enviro Industries Ltd , 2002 FCA 158 , 211 DLR (4th) 696 [ Baker ] is helpful. In that case, at paragraph 42, the Court of Appeal presented a non-exhaustive list of eight principles relevant to disclosure by prior use or sale. While Baker predates the Supreme Court’s decision in Sanofi- Synthelabo , the first and second principles articulated by Justice Rothstein (as he then was) in Baker arguably presage Sanofi-Synthelabo . Principles three and six are of particular relevance to the case at bar: 3.
The prior sale or use of a chemical product will constitute enabling disclosure to the public if its composition can be discovered through analysis of the product …. 6. It is not necessary to demonstrate that a member of the public actually analyzed the product that was sold. In Lux , supra , Aldous J. stated at page 133: Further it is settled law that there is no need to prove that anybody actually saw the disclosure provided the relevant disclosure was in public.
Thus an anticipating description in a book will invalidate a patent if the book is on a shelf of a library open to the public, whether or not anybody read the book and whether or not it was situated in a dark and dusty corner of the library.
If the book is available to the public, then the public have the right to make and use the information in the book without hindrance from a monopoly granted by the State. [Emphasis added] Although the comments of Aldous J. use the example of prior publication to make the point, Lux was a prior use case and the principle derived from his example is equally applicable to prior use or sale as well as prior publication. [Underlining and italics in original.] [ 87 ] More recently, in Bauer Hockey Corp v Easton Sports Canada Inc , 2010 FC 361 at para 220 , 366 FTR 24 , aff’d 2011 FCA 83 , 414 NR 69 [ Bauer FC ] [emphasis in Bauer FC ; footnotes omitted], this Court adopted the test for disclosure by prior use or sale of a machine articulated by Justice Aldous in Lux Traffic Controls Limited v Pike Signals , [1993] RPC 107 (Pat Ct) at 134 [ Lux ]: In the case of a written description, what is made available to the public is the description and it is irrelevant whether it is read.
In the case of a machine it is that machine which is made available and it is irrelevant whether it is operated in public. A machine like a book can be examined and the information gleaned can be written down. Thus what is made available to the public by a machine, such as a light control system, is that which the skilled man would, if asked to describe its construction and operation, write down having carried out an appropriate test or examination.
To invalidate the patent, the description that such a man would write down must be a clear and unambiguous description of the invention claimed. [ 88 ] What is made available to the public will depend on the type of examination possible in the circumstances — for example, whether the
article is in the possession, of the public or whether the public can only look at it ( Lux , above at 134). This principle is illustrated by Bauer Hockey Corp v Easton Sports Canada Inc , 2011 FCA 83 at paras 64-71 , 414 NR 69 , aff’g 2010 FC 361 [ Bauer FCA ] , where the Court of Appeal upheld the trial judge’s finding that there was no public disclosure at a Test League game because the prototype skates were only available for visual inspection, and neither testing nor close examination was possible.
As a result, the essential elements of Bauer’s patent would not have been revealed to a skilled person attending a game and observing the skates worn by the participants. [ 89 ] The “public” has been defined as “a person who [is] free in law and equity to use the information” ( Lux , above at 132). Whether a purchaser decides to keep the analysis confidential is not a relevant consideration; the unconditional sale of the product by itself makes the product available to the public ( Baker , above at para 97 ).
Accordingly, a disclosure will not make an invention “available to the public” if it occurs in circumstances giving rise to a duty of confidentiality ( Weatherford FCA , above at para 52 ). This is because “[t]he receipt of confidential information in circumstances of confidence establishes a duty not to use that information for any
purpose other than that for which it was conveyed” (Lac Minerals Ltd v International Corona Resources Ltd, (SCC),[1989] 2 SCR 574 at para 135, [1989] SCJ No 83 (QL) [Lac Minerals]; Weatherford FCA, above at para 52). [90] An experimental use may also fail to establish public disclosure. However, a use will only be experimental if it is so in themind of the user (Gibney v Ford Motor Co of Canada, 52 CRP 140 at 163, [1967] 2 ExCR 279 [Gibney]).
The placing of a single devicein the hands of a customer without restrictions as to its use or requirement of secrecy has been held to constitute prior use so as toinvalidate a patent (Gibney, above at 161-4). B. Application to the evidence [91] With this guidance from the jurisprudence, I turn to the evidence and arguments before me in this litigation. [92] I begin with the assertion by the Defendants that the bearing assemblies contained in core barrels – devices used in the oil andgas industry for decades – anticipated the subject-matter of the '630 Patent. In the
section of these Reasons dealing with obviousness(beginning at paragraph 147), I discuss the differences between a core barrel (as presented by the Defendants) and the '630 Patentbearing assembly. In my view, those differences are sufficient to conclude that the core barrel does not contain the subject matter definedby Claims 1 or 2 of the '630 Patent. Accordingly, the claim of anticipation fails with respect to the core barrel as prior art. Thedifferences are discussed at greater length in the
section of these Reasons on obviousness. [93] The 3103 assembly presents a much different situation. The 3103 bearing assembly was designed and built for use in adownhole drilling motor. The Defendants claim that it was designed by Ken Wenzel sometime around August or September of 1989.Ken Wenzel testified that the 3103 assembly was a short tool with a sealed bearing assembly and four shoulders forming a containmentchamber with a single bearing that accepted both on- and off-bottom forces.
According to Ken Wenzel, Griffith Oil Tool constructed3103 assemblies and rented them to Ensco Technology Company (Ensco), which used them on a job for Oryx Energy Company (Oryx)in Dilley, Texas in early 1990 (Exhibit 1, Tab 16). Most importantly, the unpatented 3103 assembly fulfils exactly the same function asthe bearing assembly described in the '630 Patent. The Defendants submit that the subject matter of the '630 Patent was clearlyanticipated by the 3103 assembly. [94] The first branch of the test is disclosure. The question of disclosure raises three distinct sub-issues: 1.
Does the prior art contain the subject matter defined by the '630 claims? 2. Was the prior art disclosed before the ‘630 Patent claim date? 3. Was the disclosure of the subject matter of the '630 Patent available to the public? [95] Only if the answer to all of these questions is affirmative, will the Defendants be able to establish the first branch of the testset out in Sanofi-Synthelabo, above.
(1) Does the 3103 assembly contain the subject matter of the '630 Patent? [96] The '630 Patent will only be anticipated if a piece of prior art contained the subject-matter defined by its claims. The prior artneed only disclose the invention, and not the exact product (Baker, above at paras 42 #8, 77). [97] The essential elements of Claims 1 and 2 of the '630 Patent are set out above, at paragraph 77. [98] Having heard the experts and reviewed the evidence before me, I am satisfied that there is only one difference between the3103 assembly and the '630 Patent that is remotely relevant.
That difference is the existence of bevels on the shoulders in the 3103assembly; the '630 Patent does not explicitly refer to beveled shoulders.
[ 99 ] None of the experts suggested that the ' 630 Patent prohibited beveled shoulders. On cross-examination, Mr. Thicke conceded that the '630 Patent does not specify a design for the four shoulders, nor does it prohibit beveled shoulders. [ 100 ] Both Mr. Nelson and Dr. Wooley testified that the claims of the '630 Patent do not specify whether its shoulders must be straight or angled. Mr.
Nelson opined that the angled shoulders of the 3103 assembly were parallel, although he characterized them as “parallel and interactive” because the shoulders form the transmission of the load from the inner and outer members to the bearing assembly. Mr. Nelson explained that the shoulders were parallel because the tapers of the shoulders were parallel to each other. In other words, there were two sets of parallel shoulders. Mr. Nelson opined that this arrangement satisfied the requirements of the '630 Patent, and concluded that the 3103 assembly contains all the elements of the '630 Patent. Dr.
Wooley similarly testified that the claims of the '630 Patent do not require that the shoulders be parallel at a 90-degree angle to the axis. Dr. Wooley explained that the bevelled shoulders of the 3103 assembly perform the same function even though they are not 90 degrees to the axis, and that they are still parallel shoulders. Dr. Wooley also concluded that the 3103 assembly “essentially contains all of the elements from the '630 patent claims”. I agree with Dr. Wooley and Mr.
Nelson. [ 101 ] As found in the analysis of claims construction, the use of the word “generally” to modify “parallel” and “aligned” in Claims 1 and 2 permits small variations to be made to the majority, but perhaps not all, of the shoulder surfaces of the ' 630 Patent. The ' 630 Patent accordingly does not require square shoulders. I am satisfied that the existence of beveled shoulders on the 3103 bearing assembly does not detract from a conclusion that the 3103 assembly contains all essential elements of the ' 630 Patent. [ 102 ] This conclusion is supported by Mr.
Thicke’s testimony that it would be fairly straightforward to turn the 3103 assembly into the ' 630 Patent by flattening the shoulders. Mr. Thicke’s analysis supports the conclusion that the 3103 assembly would infringe the ' 630 Patent had it been constructed at a later date. [ 103 ] Mr. Thicke also pointed out a few other differences between the two assemblies.
Specifically, he opined that the '630 Patent has firmer shoulders and separates the radial bearings from the load path, and that the '630 assembly contains an integral lower shoulder, while the 3103 assembly has a weaker support structure on the lower support . None of these minor differences was shown to make any material difference to the operation of the 3103 assembly.
Moreover, none of these alleged variations is reflected in the claims of the ' 630 Patent, as construed earlier in these Reasons. [ 104 ] I find that the 3103 assembly, therefore, contains the subject matter defined by the claims of the ' 630 Patent. Quite simply, if a skilled person were to make a bearing assembly in accordance with the design for the 3103 bearing assembly, he would be making a bearing assembly that falls within the scope of Claims 1 and 2 of the ' 630 Patent.
(2) Did the 3103 assembly pre-date the '630 Patent? [ 105 ] The next question is whether the 3103 assembly pre-dated the '630 Patent claims. The relevant date for the anticipation analysis is October 1, 1990, the claim date of the '630 Patent. The '630 Patent will only be invalid if the prior art was disclosed before that date. Since Ken Wenzel never applied for a patent for the 3103 assembly, we must closely examine the facts to establish whether it was designed and put into use before the claim date of the ' 630 Patent. [ 106 ] The parties disagree on the date of the creation of the Defendants’ 3103 assembly.
Ken Wenzel testified that the 3103 assembly developed out of a full scale, hand-drawn layout drawing he prepared in or about August or September 1989. While Ken Wenzel recalled that two 3103 assemblies were constructed at Griffith after the layout and parts drawings were created, he was uncertain as to whether a third tool was also built. Ken Wenzel testified that the 3103 assemblies were tested in Griffith ’s Edmonton shop before they were shipped to Griffith ’s rental shop in Rosenberg, Texas , which was just outside of Houston .
Ken Wenzel explained that, from there, the 3103 assemblies were rented to Ensco and shipped to Dilley, Texas , where Ensco was undertaking a drilling job for Oryx. Cross-examination failed to shake Ken Wenzel from the essentials of his testimony; he was a credible witness. [ 107 ] Mr. Kutinsky was a draftsman at Griffith from sometime in late 1986 or early 1987 until December 31, 1990. His testimony more or less corroborated Ken Wenzel’s evidence, although Mr. Kutinsky did exhibit some confusion regarding the dates of relevant events. Mr.
Kutinsky was not certain as to the nature of the layout drawing he received from Ken Wenzel or the date he received it, but he testified that he prepared AutoCAD assembly drawings of the 3103 as well as parts drawings. Mr. Kutinsky explained that he would typically make two or more assembly drawings: a first drawing before he drew the parts; and, a second revised assembly drawing after the parts drawings were complete.
[ 108 ] While Mr. Kutinsky initially testified that he finished the assembly drawing sometime around September 27, 1989, on cross- examination he stated that he completed his final assembly drawing on November 6, 1989. Mr. Kutinsky further testified that he likely prepared a parts list after creating the second assembly drawing, and that the parts list was created on October 23, 1989. That date precedes the date of Mr. Kutinsky’s final assembly drawing. [ 109 ] The Plaintiffs point to the contradictions in Mr.
Kutinsky’s testimony, as well as several other inconsistencies in the dates of assembly drawings, parts lists, and parts drawings, and attempt to draw the inference that the first 3103 assembly was constructed sometime after May 1990. Further, Bill Wenzel testified that the 3103 assembly drawing was a “made-up drawing” created by Ken Wenzel. The Plaintiffs argued that it was at least as likely that the 3103 assembly was developed and used after May 1990 as it was that those events occurred in February 1990.
The Plaintiffs also attempted to demonstrate that Ken Wenzel did not leave Griffith until January 1, 1991, and that it was therefore not clear on a balance of probabilities that any disclosure occurred before October 1, 1990. [ 110 ] A review of the entire record on this point demonstrates that the alleged contradictions are not as glaring or persuasive as the Plaintiffs argue. In his testimony, Mr. Kutinsky explained that the date on the parts list reflects its creation date, and that date does not change when the parts list is updated. Mr.
Kutinsky also explained that the parts drawing dated May 21, 1990 may have replaced an earlier drawing, and that replacement drawings are not indicated as revisions. He further testified that what likely occurred in this case was a breakdown in the system of updating the parts list as parts drawings were revised. While Mr. Kutinsky’s recollection of events was imperfect, he maintained that the 3103 assembly was designed sometime in the fall of 1989. Moreover, the testimony of both Ken Wenzel and Mr.
Kutinsky was corroborated by the AutoCAD drawings themselves. [ 111 ] The reliability and integrity of the AutoCAD drawings of the 3103 assembly was addressed by Mr. Finnie, one of the Defendants’ experts. Mr. Finnie opined that the metadata for the 3103 assembly drawing indicated that the file was created on September 27, 1989. Mr. Finnie examined both the internal and external metadata associated with the files in reaching this conclusion. Mr. Finnie explained that the created date that appears as metadata reflects the computer clock. While Mr.
Finnie conceded that, in the early 1990s, it would have been simple to change the setting on a computer’s internal clock, the Plaintiffs did not point to any evidence proving that the drawings were falsified (beyond Bill Wenzel’s bald assertion). It is therefore more likely than not that the 3103 assembly was designed sometime in the fall of 1989; that is, prior to the October 1, 1990 claim date. [ 112 ] It is also probable that the 3103 tool used at the job site in Dilley was the same as the tool developed by Griffith in the fall of 1989.
Ken Wenzel’s testimony that the 3103 assembly was used on a job in Dilley in early 1990 is corroborated by a Griffith packing slip which indicates that three 3103 assemblies were shipped to Ensco in Houston , Texas, on February 6, 1990 (Exhibit 29). Mr. Kutinsky also testified that 3103 assemblies were manufactured around February 6, 1990.
There is no evidence that the 3103 assemblies used in Dilley were something other than the tools designed by Ken Wenzel and built by Griffith in the fall of 1989. [ 113 ] In sum, it is therefore more likely than not that the 3103 assembly was designed and used prior to October 1, 1990, thus pre- dating the claims of the '630 Patent.
(3) Was the 3103 assembly available to the public? [ 114 ] As explained above, in order to prove that the '630 Patent was anticipated by the 3103 assembly, the Defendants must establish that there was disclosure of the subject matter of the '630 Patent. The Plaintiffs raise three arguments to assert that there was no disclosure of the 3103 bearing assembly. Specifically, the Plaintiffs argue that: the disclosure to the public was not sufficient for purposes of the test for anticipation; any disclosure was made on a confidential basis; and the one-time use of the 3103 assembly was in the nature of experimentation. [ 115 ] I will consider each of these three arguments separately. (
a) Sufficiency of the disclosure [ 116 ] The Plaintiffs argue that almost no information about the 3103 assembly was disclosed during the Dilley job. The Plaintiffs point to the following facts in support of their position: • the 3103 tool could not be dismantled at the job site;
• there is no evidence that the tool was in fact dismantled; • there is no evidence as to what happened to the tool after it was returned to the Defendants’ shop; and • Ken Wenzel never talked to anyone else about the 3103 design. [ 117 ] The Plaintiffs seek to draw a distinction between the sale and rental of a machine, arguing that this distinction is significant in this case because it was not easy to examine the 3103 assembly. The Plaintiffs also liken the 3103 assembly to the skates at issue in Bauer FCA , abov.
They argue that there was no opportunity for someone to dismantle the 3103 assembly on the drilling rig, and that such an occurrence would have been unusual. The Plaintiffs submit that, as in Bauer FCA , a visual inspection would not disclose the essential elements of the 3103 assembly; rig hands would only see a piece of pipe. The Plaintiffs also assert that Ken Wenzel’s testimony was inconsistent with the documentary evidence.
They cited Novopharm Ltd v Eli Lilly & Co , 2010 FC 915 , 376 FTR 227 , for the proposition that documentary evidence should be required where a witness provides weak evidence regarding an event in the distant past. The Plaintiffs further submit that the Defendants have failed to establish that Ensco had the ability to dismantle the tool. [ 118 ] The Plaintiffs’ arguments overlook the fact that proof of anticipation does not require demonstrating that a member of the public actually analyzed the 3103 assembly ( Baker , above at para 42 #6; Lux , above at 133).
As stated by Justice Aldous in Lux , above at 133: [A]n anticipating description in a book will invalidate a patent if the book is on a shelf of a library open to the public, whether or not anybody read the book and whether or not it was situated in a dark and dusty corner of the library. [ 119 ] The Plaintiffs rightly point out that a visual inspection of the entire drill stem of the 3103 assembly would not have disclosed its inner workings.
However, the evidence in this case indicates that the 3103 assemblies were available for more than a visual inspection. [ 120 ] In particular, Ken Wenzel testified that he would have brought the assembly drawing with him to Dilley. He stated that he would have reviewed the assembly drawing with Ensco had they asked, and that he was also available for consultation. It is irrelevant that Ken Wenzel said that he did not remember ever giving Ensco a drawing or reviewing it with them.
Ken Wenzel also testified that if the drill had become stuck in the well, then Griffith might have needed to provide the “fisherman”, who retrieves broken tool pieces from wells, with drawings of the 3103 assembly. Mr. Nelson also testified that fishermen refer to manufacturer drawings to ensure that all pieces are retrieved from the hole. [ 121 ] I acknowledge that the evidence that the motor was returned to Griffith intact indicates that no physical inspection occurred in Dilley. However, this is irrelevant because the drawings were available for examination and the 3103 assembly could have been dismantled.
If the tool had broken in Dilley, the fisherman and any observers would have seen the inner workings of the 3103 assembly as pieces were retrieved from the hole. Bauer FCA , above, is therefore distinguishable from the present case.
Similarly, whereas, in Weatherford Canada Ltd v Corlac Inc , 2010 FC 602 at para 307 , 370 FTR 54 , rev’d on other grounds 2011 FCA 228 , [2011] FCJ No 1090 [ Weatherford FC ] , Justice Phelan found that there was no evidence of what third parties such as rig crews, flush-by crews, service crews and casual observers, were told about the inner workings of the units or what they observed, in this case there is evidence that Ken Wenzel was available for consultation and that fishermen could have accessed the plans or consulted with the designer.
The fact that the 3103 tools were rented rather than sold to Ensco does not detract from these opportunities for examination. [ 122 ] Even if a skilled person may not have been able to dismantle the 3103 assembly on the rig, he or she could have gained similar information by consulting Ken Wenzel or the 3103 assembly drawings, both of which were available. This can alternatively be viewed as anticipation by publication. In either case, the 3103 assembly drawing clearly depicts the construction of the 3103 bearing assembly, which I have found contains all essential elements of the '630 Patent.
An analysis of the 3103 assembly drawing would have therefore disclosed the essential elements of the '630 Patent and enabled the skilled person to perform the invention. [ 123 ] The facts of this case are similar to the facts before Justice Noël in Gibney , above, where the device in question was affixed to the motor of a car without any further disclosure to the customer.
In holding that there had been prior disclosure, Justice Noël stated, at 162, that: In the present case, as soon as the unidentified customer drove out without any injunction or restriction placed upon him, it then became available to anyone who wanted to lift up the hood and look at it .
[Emphasis added] [124] In my view, subject to the discussions on confidentiality and experimentation that follow, anyone at the Dilley drill site couldhave “lifted up the hood” and examined the 3103 assembly. (
b) Confidentiality [125] As noted above, a disclosure that is the subject of an obligation of confidentiality does not meet the requirement for disclosure.In such a situation, the subject matter of the patent is not “available to the public”. The Plaintiffs raise a number of arguments withrespect to the question of confidentiality. [126] In determining whether confidentiality exists, a court may have regard to the factors established in the Supreme Court’sdecision in Lac Minerals (Weatherford FCA, above at para 49).
In Weatherford FCA, above, the Court of Appeal reviewed the notion ofconfidentiality in the context of disclosure of prior art. Referring to Lac Minerals and Coco v AN (Engineers) Ltd, [1969] RPC 41 (Ch),the Court of Appeal stated at paragraph 48 that: Information will be considered to have been exchanged in a confidential relationship where “any reasonable man standing in the shoes ofthe recipient of the information wo