HANI HASAN EL-KHADER Applicant v. THE MINISTER OF CITIZENSHIP AND, 2011 FC 328
Opinion
Federal Court Cour fédérale Date: 201103218 Docket: T-1445-10 Citation: 2011 FC 328 Ottawa, Ontario , March 18, 2011 PRESENT: The Honourable Madam Justice Snider BETWEEN: HANI HASAN EL-KHADER Applicant and THE MINISTER OF CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION Respondent REASONS FOR JUDGMENT AND JUDGMENT I. Background [ 1 ] The Applicant, Mr. Hani Hasan El-Khader, was granted permanent residence in Canada on July 24, 2002. Since landing, he has worked outside of Canada for lengthy periods of time.
The Applicant submitted his application for citizenship on January 7, 2008, acknowledging that he was physically present in Canada for only 925 days in the four years immediately preceding his application. With his application and during the course of two interviews, he submitted extensive information and materials that related to his establishment in Canada . In a decision dated August 17, 2010, the Citizenship Judge concluded that the Applicant had not met the requirement for residency under s. 5(1) (
c) of the Citizenship Act , RSC 1985, c C-29 [the Citizenship Act ]. The Citizenship Judge stated in his decision that he relied on the analytical test of Justice Muldoon in Re Pourghasemi (1993), 62 FTR 122 , 19 Imm LR (2d) 259 [ Re Pourghasemi ] , where it was determined that a potential citizen must establish physical presence in Canada for a total of 1,095 days during the four-year period preceding the application, pursuant to s. 5(1)(
c) of the Citizenship Act . [ 2 ] The Applicant is appealing the Citizenship Judges decision pursuant to section 14(5) of the Citizenship Act . Such appeals proceed by way of application based on the record before the citizenship judge and are governed by the Federal Courts Rules , SOR/98- 106 pertaining to applications ( Rule 300 (c); Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) v Wang , 2009 FC 1290 , 87 Imm LR (3d) 184 ). There are no further appeals from decisions of this Court. If the matter is not sent back for re-determination, an unsuccessful applicant who meets the statutory criteria may reapply.
II. Issues [3] The key issue before me is whether the Citizenship Judge erred by relying on the physical presence test rather than carryingout a qualitative analysis of the Applicants establishment in Canada. Stated differently, did the Citizenship Judge err by determining thatthe residence requirement in s. 5(1)(
c) of the Citizenship Act is only met when an applicant is physically present in Canada for therequired number of days? The Applicant argues that, since the decision of the Federal Court in Canada (Minister of Citizenship andImmigration) v Takla, 2009 FC 1120, 359 FTR. 248 (Eng) [Takla], there is only one legally correct test, that being the qualitativeanalysis described in Re Koo, (FC), [1993] 1 FC 286, 19 Imm LR (2d) 1 [Re Koo]. [4] In the alternative, the Applicant argues that the Citizenship Judge provided inadequate reasons for his decision. III. Legislative Provision [5] Section 5(1)(
c) of the Citizenship Act states the following: 5.
(1) The Minister shall grantcitizenship to any person who . . . (
c) is a permanent residentwithin the meaning of subsection2(1) of the Immigration andRefugee Protection Act, and has,within the four yearsimmediately preceding the dateof his or her application,accumulated at least three yearsof residence in Canada calculatedin the following manner: (
i) for every day during whichthe person was resident inCanada before his lawfuladmission to Canada forpermanent residence the personshall be deemed to haveaccumulated one-half of a day ofresidence, and (ii) for every day during whichthe person was resident inCanada after his lawfuladmission to Canada forpermanent residence the personshall be deemed to haveaccumulated one day ofresidence; 5.
(1) Le ministre attribue lacitoyenneté à toute personne qui,à la fois :
c) est un résident permanent ausens du paragraphe 2(1) de la Loisur limmigration et la protectiondes réfugiés et a, dans les quatreans qui ont précédé la date de sademande, résidé au Canadapendant au moins trois ans entout, la durée de sa résidenceétant calculée de la manièresuivante : (
i) un demi-jour pour chaquejour de résidence au Canadaavant son admission à
titre derésident permanent, (ii) un jour pour chaque jour derésidence au Canada après sonadmission à
titre de résidentpermanent; [6] There is no definition of resident or residence under the Citizenship Act. IV. Standard of Review
[7] It has been consistently held that the standard of review of a Citizenship Judges decision is that of reasonableness (see, forexample, Hao v Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration), 2011 FC 46, [2011] FCJ No 143 (QL) at para 11 [Hao]; Abbas vMCI, 2011 FC 145, [2011] FCJ No 167 (QL) [Abbas]. [8] In this case, the decision of the Citizenship Judge consists of two components. Firstly, the Judge was required to make apurely factual determination of the number of days that the Applicant was physically present in Canada during the four-year periodpreceding the application.
The Applicant acknowledges that he was physically present in Canada for only 925 days during the relevantperiod. Secondly, the Citizenship Judges analysis involved a statutory
interpretation of s. 5(1)(
c) of the Citizenship Act. As we know, theJudge interpreted this provision to require the Applicant to be physically present in Canada for at least 1,095 days. While this is a legalquestion, it does not automatically follow that the standard of review is correctness. [9] In recent jurisprudence, particularly in both Celgene Corporation v Canada (Attorney General of Canada), 2011 SCC 1, 89CPR (4th) 1 at paragraph 34 and Smith v Alliance Pipeline Ltd., 2011 SCC 7, [2011] SCJ No 7 (QL), at paragraphs 37-39 [AlliancePipeline], the Supreme Court has reinforced the concept of deference in connection with a tribunals
interpretation of its home statute.The remarks of the Supreme Court in Alliance Pipeline, at paragraphs 37-39, are of particular relevance to the issue before me: Characterizing the issue before the reviewing judge as a question of law is of no greater assistance to Alliance, since a tribunal'sinterpretation of its home statute, the issue here, normally attracts the standard of reasonableness (Dunsmuir, at para. 54), except wherethe question raised is constitutional, of central importance to the legal system, or where it demarcates the tribunal's authority from that ofanother specialized tribunal -- which in this instance was clearly not the case.
Finally, on this branch of the matter, Alliance argues that adoption of the reasonableness standard would offend the rule of law byinsulating from review contradictory decisions by Arbitration Committees as to the proper
interpretation of s. 99(1) of the NEBA. I amunable to share the respondent's concern. In Dunsmuir, the Court stated that questions of law that are not of central importance to thelegal system "may be compatible with a reasonableness standard" (para. 55), and added that "[t]here is nothing unprincipled in the factthat some questions of law will be decided on [this] basis" (para. 56; see also Toronto (City) v. C.U.P.E., at para. 71).
Indeed, the standard of reasonableness, even prior to Dunsmuir, has always been "based on the idea that there might be multiple validinterpretations of a statutory provision or answers to a legal dispute" such that "courts ought not to interfere where the tribunal's decisionis rationally supported" (Dunsmuir, at para. 41). [10] The Citizenship Judges jurisdiction to determine citizenship applications is contemplated by the Citizenship Act. Moreover, inthis case, the Citizenship Judge was interpreting his home statute when he interpreted the words resident and residence in s. 5(1)(
c) torequire the Applicant to be physically present in Canada for 1,095 days during the relevant four-year period. The question raised is notconstitutional; nor does it demarcate the tribunals authority from that of another specialized tribunal. The Applicant does not submit thatthe statutory
interpretation of s. 5(1)(
c) is one of central importance to the legal system. Accordingly, I conclude that the standard ofreview applicable to the
interpretation of s. 5(1)(
c) by a citizenship judge is that of reasonableness. Stated differently, it is not for thereviewing judge to substitute his or her own
interpretation of the legislative provision; rather the reviewing judge must determinewhether the
interpretation relied on by a citizenship judge falls within a range of possible, acceptable outcomes which are defensible inrespect of the facts and law (Dunsmuir v New Brunswick, 2008 SCC 9, [2008] 1 SCR 190 [Dunsmuir]). V. Analysis [11] The Federal Court has, over the years, endorsed three different approaches to the question of how to interpret the wordsresident and residence in the legislation.
Most recently, this judicial history was described in considerable detail in each of the decisionsin Takla, above, and Hao, above. [12] Briefly stated, the three lines of jurisprudence fall into two categories: the quantitative approach and the qualitative approach.The quantitative approach is encompassed in the Re Pourghasemi test, applied by the Citizenship Judge in this case, which asks whetherthe applicant has been physically present in Canada for 1,095 days during the four-year period preceding the application for citizenship.This has been referred to as the physical presence test. [13] The qualitative approach was articulated in Re Papadogiorgakis, (FC), [1978] 2 FC 208, 88 DLR (3d) 243and refined in Re Koo, above.
The test in Re Koo, as first utilized by Justice Reed, requires a citizenship judge to analyze six factors todetermine whether an applicant has met the requirement of residence by his or her centralized mode of existence, even where anapplicant falls short of the 1,095 days.
[14] Justice Lufty (as he was then) in Lam v Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration)(1999), (FC),164 FTR 177, [1999] FCJ No 410 (QL)(FCTD) noted the divergence in the jurisprudence. In Lam, he concluded that if a citizenshipjudge adopted any one of the three conflicting lines of jurisprudence, and if the facts of the case were properly applied to the principlesof that approach, the citizenship judges decision should not be set aside. [15] For the next 12 years, the acceptance of either the quantitative or qualitative approach was consistently upheld by the FederalCourt.
Parties coming before this Court on appeal understood that a citizenship judge was free to apply either test. The situation was notideal as citizenship applicants could never be certain of which test would be applied to their case. However, legislative amendments tothe Citizenship Act could have clarified this situation. This has not been done by Parliament. [16] In 2009, the decision of Justice Mainville (then a judge of this Court) in Takla, above, embraced the qualitative approach.
InTakla, Justice Mainville stated at paragraphs 46-48: In the current context, since the situation that was perceived as temporary at that time has become permanent, it appears appropriate, inmy view, to settle on one
interpretation of subsection 5(1)(
c) of the Citizenship Act. Considering the clear majority of this Court'sjurisprudence, the centralized mode of living in Canada test established in Koo, above, and the six questions set out therein for analyticalpurposes should become the only test and the only analysis. Although I am of the view that the test of physical presence for three years maintained by the first jurisprudential school is consistentwith the wording of the Act, it appears to me preferable to promote a uniform approach to the
interpretation and application of thestatutory provision in question. I arrive at this conclusion in an attempt to standardize the applicable law. It is incongruous that theoutcome of a citizenship application be determined based on analyses and tests that differ from one judge to the next. To the extentpossible, coherence in administrative decision making must be fostered, [17] Following Takla, a number of Federal Court judges have endorsed Justice Mainvilles adoption of the Re Koo test as the onlyanalysis that should be applied pursuant to s. 5(1)(
c) of the Citizenship Act (see, for example, Canada (Minister of Citizenship &Immigration) v Salim, 2010 FC 975, 92 Imm.
LR (3d) 196; Canada (Minister of Citizenship & Immigration) v Alonso Cobos, 2010 FC903, 92 Imm LR (3d) 61; Canada (Ministre de la Citoyenneté & de l'Immigration) c Abou-Zahra, 2010 FC 1073, [2010] FCJ No 1326(QL); Canada (Minister of Citizenship & Immigration) v Elzubair, 2010 FC 298, [2010] FCJ No 330 (QL); Khan v Canada (Minister ofCitizenship & Immigration), 2011 FC 1178). [18] However, since that decision was released, a second line of equally compelling jurisprudence has emerged (see, for example,Abbas, above; Sarvarian v Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration), 2010 FC 1117, [2010] FCJ No 1433 (QL)).
The judges inthese cases have continued to accept either the qualitative or quantitative
interpretation of s. 5(1)(
c) as reasonable. [19] The rationale behind this second line of jurisprudence is underscored by the Supreme Court of Canadas remarks in Celgene,above, and Alliance Pipeline, above. In both of these cases, the Supreme Court reinforced the principle that, the standard ofreasonableness, even prior to Dunsmuir, has always been based on the idea that there might be multiple valid
interpretations of a statutoryprovision or answers to a legal dispute such that courts ought not to interfere where the tribunals decision is rationally supported(Dunsmuir, at para 41; Alliance Pipeline, at paras 38-39). [20] The Applicant rests his case on an assertion that the Citizenship Judge erred in law by not following the test articulated inTakla, above. This argument can only be correct if the decision in Takla overruled the decision in Lam. In my view, the conclusion of ajudge of the Federal Court in Takla did not and could not overrule the conclusion of a judge of the Federal Court in Lam.
As aconsequence, the law remains that, provided a citizenship judge correctly adopts and applies either test, the decision ought to stand. [21] This conclusion is supported by the very words of Justice Mainville who acknowledges, at paragraph 47 of Takla, that the testof physical presence for three years . . . is consistent with the wording of the Act. The physical presence test provides a reasonableinterpretation of the words resident and residence in the legislative provision. In other words, the decision by a citizenship judge tointerpret s. 5(1)(
c) of the Citizenship Act to require physical presence is rationally supported by the words of the statute and by a lengthyline of jurisprudence from this Court. The Citizenship Judge did not err as alleged by the Applicant. [22] The Applicant submits that, as a matter of judicial comity, I should follow my former colleague, Justice Mainville, and thosewho have subsequently rejected the physical presence test. In response, I would echo the reasoning of Justice Mosley in Hao, above, atparagraphs 49 and 50:
In the interests of judicial comity, I have considered whether I should follow the analysis of my colleagues who favour the Koo test. The principle of judicial comity recognizes that decisions of the Court should be consistent so as to provide litigants with a certain degree of predictability: Abbott Laboratories v. Canada (Minister of Health) , 2006 FC 120 , reversed on appeal on other grounds: 2007 FCA 73 , 361 N.R. 90 . I note that Justice Barnes in Ghaedi , above, declined to apply the principle in this context, albeit in reference to the Lam line of authority.
I agree that it would be preferable to have consistency in the test applied to determine residency but several judges of this Court, including myself, have found that the physical presence
interpretation is appropriate on a plain reading of the statute. And this Court, for over 11 years, has deferred to decisions by citizenship judges to choose that
interpretation over the alternative as a reasonable exercise of their discretion. While the inconsistent application of the law is unfortunate, it can not be said that every example of that inconsistency in this context is unreasonable. If the situation is scandalous as Justice Muldoon suggested many years ago in Harry, it remains for Parliament to correct the problem. [ 23 ] In sum, the application of the physical presence test by the Citizenship Judge was reasonable. [ 24 ] It follows that the Applicants allegation that the Citizenship Judges reasons were inadequate must also fail.
The decision clearly sets out that the Citizenship Judge was following the decision in Re Pourghasemi , above, requiring physical presence pursuant to 5(1)(
c) of the Citizenship Act . On that
interpretation, the only question to be determined by the Citizenship Judge was whether the Applicant was physically present in Canada for 1,095 days. The Applicant acknowledges that he was short of the required number of days. In light of the test applied by the Citizenship Judge, the documentary evidence was irrelevant. The Judge did not err by failing to refer to the voluminous documentary evidence submitted by the Applicant. [ 25 ] For these reasons, the appeal will be dismissed. JUDGMENT THIS COURT ORDERS AND ADJUDGES that the appeal of the Citizenship Judges decision is dismissed. Judith A.
Snider Judge FEDERAL COURT SOLICITORS OF RECORD DOCKET: T-1445-10 STYLE OF CAUSE: HANI HASAN EL-KHADER v. THE MINISTER OF CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION
PLACE OF HEARING: TORONTO, ONTARIO DATE OF HEARING: FEBRUARY 28, 2011 REASONS FOR JUDGMENT: SNIDER J. DATED: MARCH 18, 2011 APPEARANCES : Krassina Kostadinov FOR THE APPLICANT Ada Mok Alex Kam FOR THE RESPONDENT SOLICITORS OF RECORD : Lorne Waldman & Associates Barristers and Solicitors Toronto , Ontario FOR THE APPLICANT Myles J. Kirvan Deputy Attorney General of Canada Toronto, Ontario FOR THE RESPONDENT