ESTATE VIOLET STEVENS & JUNE TAYLOR EXECUTOR Applicant v. ATTORNEY GENERAL OF, 2011 FC 103
Opinion
Federal Court Cour fédérale Date: 20110128 Docket: T-1883-08 Citation: 2011 FC 103 Ottawa, Ontario , January 28, 2011 PRESENT: The Honourable Mr.
Justice Mandamin BETWEEN: ESTATE VIOLET STEVENS & JUNE TAYLOR EXECUTOR Applicant and ATTORNEY GENERAL OF CANADA Respondent and OFFICE OF THE COMMISSIONER OF REVIEW TRIBUNALS Intervener REASONS FOR JUDGMENT AND JUDGMENT [ 1 ] The Applicant seeks judicial review of the decision of the Commissioner of Review Tribunals (the Commissioner) to close their appeal file without convening a hearing of a Review Tribunal to consider the appeal. [ 2 ] The right of appeal to a Review Tribunal from decisions of the Minister of Human Resources and Skills Development or his delegate (the Minister) is provided in
section 28 of the Old Age Security Act, R.S.C. 1985, c. O-9 (OAS) and
section 82 of the Canada Pension Plan , R.S.C. 1985, c. C-8 (CPP). [ 3 ] This application, together with a companion file, Ingrid V. Lambie v Attorney General of Canada and Office of the Commissioner of Review Tribunals , T-686-09 ( Lambie ) , were the subject of various motions which resulted in orders of the Court firstly
granting the Office of the Commissioner of Review Tribunals status as an intervener and secondly, directing that the two applications be consolidated to be heard consecutively by the same judge.
These two applications raise for the first time the issue whether the Commissioner has the jurisdiction to refuse to convene a Review Tribunal to hear an appeal under the OAS or the CPP. [ 4 ] Insomuch as the evidence and submissions differ in the two applications, I will address the question of a statutory basis for the Commissioners jurisdiction to close an appeal in the present application and address the question of whether the doctrine of necessary implication applies in the companion Lambie application. [ 5 ] On a preliminary point, the Applicant has submitted some additional material that was not before the Commissioner when he made his decision.
Some of that material consists of new documents while other documents have handwritten notations on them that were not on the documents before the Commissioner. The principle in judicial review is that the material before the Court on judicial review should be the documents that were before the decision maker at the time of decision. Accordingly, I will consider the Applicants record as the originally filed and not the new material. [ 6 ] For reasons that follow, I am granting the judicial review in this application.
Background [ 7 ] The Estate Violet Stevens and June Taylor Executor, Applicant, is self-represented by Ms. June Taylor. [ 8 ] Ms. Taylor is executor of the estate of her mother, Ms. Violet Stevens, who died in March, 2007 at the age of 86 years. Ms. Taylor learned that her mother never collected the OAS pension to which she would have been entitled after turning 65 years of age. Ms. Taylor made a claim on behalf of her late mothers estate and the estate received a retroactive payment of eleven months OAS pension benefits for the period April 2006 to March 2007. [ 9 ] Ms.
Taylor sought retroactive payments of OAS benefits to August 1985, the date the late Ms. Stevens turned 65, on the basis that Ms. Stevens did not know she was entitled to a pension, had been a good citizen and had never collected an OAS pension. Her request was denied because the Stevens estate had been paid the maximum benefits allowed under the OAS. Ms. Taylor requested reconsideration of the decision. The Ministers delegate in the Department of Human Resources and Social Development Canada (the Department) denied Ms. Taylors request for reconsideration. [ 10 ] Ms.
Taylor appealed to a Review Tribunal by a letter dated January 16, 2008 to the Office of the Commissioner of Review Tribunals (OCRT). She stated her grounds in her letter of appeal as follows: 1) Mother was a good Canadian and contributed to society. Income Tax was always deducted from her pay stubs.
She had a below average job all her life and taxes were deducted and other government programs were deducted also. 2) While working full time employment, Mother brought up two children on her own (she was divorced from her 1 st husband in 1948). 3) Mother was never a drain on the governments of Canada or Quebec by means of health care, welfare or unemployment insurance payments. Ms.
Taylor raised fairness as an issue in her appeal for a further retroactive OAS payment back to August 1985 when her mother turned 65 years of age and pointed to examples she believed to be exceptions to the rules. [ 11 ] The OCRT sent an interim letter acknowledging receipt of Ms. Taylors letter. It advised it requested information from the Department. In other words, it requested the documents specified under
section 5 of the Review Tribunal Rules of Procedure , SOR/92-19 (the Rules).
[ 12 ] The
section 5 documents included Ms. Taylors original request, and the Departments response which considered not only the eleven month statutory retroactivity period but also an incapacity provision which is an exception for people who were physically or mentally unable to make the decision to apply for a pension earlier. The Departments response indicated Ms. Taylor could request reconsideration. In requesting reconsideration, Ms. Taylor provided further information about her late mother, stating, among other things: My Mother was never diagnosed with physical or mental incapacity.
Mental incapacity or lack of knowledge of how O.A.S. would benefit her is probably the only explanation of why she never filed. (quotation marks in original) The subsequent negative reconsideration decision by the Ministers delegate took Ms.
Taylors above statement that her late mother was never diagnosed with mental incapacity as determinative stating: Since documentation is required when applying the diagnosed mental incapacity, it is unlikely that this provision could be considered. (emphasis added) [ 13 ] The documents from the Department were reviewed by a case management officer in the OCRT who wrote: The Appellants request for further retroactivity was denied on ground that Appellant received the maximum amount payable for Old Age Security for the late Violet Stevens. The Late Violet Stevens attained the age of 65 years in August 1985.
She did not apply for OAS benefit as she was unaware of such benefit. On March 18, 2007 the late Violet Stevens passed away. Her estate applied for OAS and was approved with 11 month retroactivity for the date of her death April 2006 to March 2007. The Appellant is appealing for further retroactivity. Not an arguable case. The OCRT case management officer forwarded her comments to the Commissioner. [ 14 ] On June 5, 2008, the Commissioner of Review Tribunals advised Ms. Taylor that the appeal file would be closed without convening a Review Tribunal. Ms.
Taylor requested the appeal be re-opened by a letter written on June 11, 2008 which was relayed to the Commissioner by a Member of Parliament. The Commissioner responded further on July 21, 2008 confirming his decision. He stated he was not prepared to agree to her request to
schedule a Review Tribunal for the appeal, explaining that an appeal hearing would be an exercise in futility as the Review Tribunal would only be able to confirm that the maximum period of retroactive benefits permitted by law has already been paid to the estate of Ms. Stevens. [ 15 ] Ms. Taylor applied for judicial review of the Commissioners decision not to convene a Review Tribunal to hear the appeal. She submits that the decision to close the appeal was not justice. She reiterated her submission that her late mother was entitled to OAS pension benefits and contended that the government was aware Ms.
Stevens was entitled to a pension since 1997. Although not explicitly stated, Ms. Taylor seeks granting of judicial review. [ 16 ] The Respondent supports granting judicial review. The Respondent takes the position that the Commissioner was required by statute to choose three members to constitute a Review Tribunal to hear the appeal made once the Minister has refused a request on reconsideration. The Respondent submits the Commissioner exceeded his jurisdiction by refusing to convene a Review Tribunal hearing and thereby committed a reviewable error. The Respondent thus concurs with Ms.
Taylor, albeit on jurisdictional grounds. [ 17 ] The Office of the Commissioner of Review Tribunals applied for intervener status in this judicial review application. It contends that the Commissioner was performing a case management function and acting within his jurisdiction when he decided to close the Applicants appeal without convening a Review Tribunal to hear the appeal.
Decision Under Review [ 18 ] Ms. Stevens received two letters from the Commissioner, Mr. Philippe Rabot: the first on June 5, 2008 and the second on July 21, 2008. The first is the substantive decision with respect to the Applicants case. The second reaffirmed the Commissioners decision. [ 19 ] In the June 5, 2008 letter, the Commissioner writes: I have decided not to
schedule a hearing for this appeal, as a Review Tribunal would not have the jurisdiction to grant the relief that you are seeking. The maximum period of retroactivity allowed by the legislation has already been recognized by having payments effective from 2006. [ 20 ] The Commissioner provides something akin to a finding where he writes: I understand that the purpose of your appeal is to have the Old Age Security pension payments made retroactive to the date of Violet Stevens 65 th birthday in August 1985, due to the fact she had been unaware of her entitlement to apply for Old Age Security benefits.
However, the Government of Canada was under no legal obligation to notify her that she could apply for this benefit. Hence, the absence of such notice is not a factor that a Review Tribunal is entitled to consider. As well, it would not be permitted to base its decision on compassionate grounds. [ 21 ] The Commissioner stated the Review Tribunal can only do what the law permits. He expressed his regrets about the outcome and concludes by advising Your appeal file will be closed and we will be taking no further action with respect to this matter. Legislation [ 22 ] The Old Age Security Act , R.S.C., 1985, c.
O-9 (OAS) provides: 27.1
(1) A person who is dissatisfied with a decision or determination made under this Act that no benefit may be paid to the person, or respecting the amount of a benefit that may be paid to the person, may , within ninety days after the day on which the person is notified in writing of the decision or determination, or within any longer period that the Minister may, either before or after the expiration of those ninety days, allow, make a request to the Minister in the prescribed form and manner for a reconsideration of that decision or determination. 28. (1) a person who makes a request under the subsection 27.1(1) or (1.1) and who is dissatisfied with the decision or the Minister in respect of the request, or, subject to the regulations, any person on their behalf, may appeal the decision to a Review Tribunal under
section 82 of the Canada Pension Plan . 27.1
(1) La personne qui se croit lésée par une décision de refus ou de liquidation de la prestation prise en application de la présente loi peut, dans les quatre-vingt-dix jours suivant la notification par écrit de la décision, ou dans le délai plus long que le ministre peut accorder avant ou après lexpiration du délai de quatre- vingt-dix jours, demander au ministre, selon les modalités réglementaires, de réviser sa décision. 28.
(1) Lauteur de la demande prévue aux paragraphes 27.1(1) ou (1.1) qui se croit lésé par la décision révisée du ministre ou, sous réserve des règlements, quiconque pour son compte peut appeler de la décision devant un tribunal de révision constitué en application de larticle 82 du Régime de pensions du Canada.
(emphasis added) [ 23 ]
Section 82 of the Canada Pension Plan , R.S.C., 1985, c. C-8, (CPP) provides: 82.
(1) A party who is dissatisfied with a decision of the Minister made under
section 81 or subsection 84(2), or a person who is dissatisfied with a decision of the Minister made under subsection 27.1(2) of the Old Age Security Act , or , subject to the regulations, any person on their behalf, may appeal the decision to a Review Tribunal in writing within 90 days, or any longer period that the Commissioner of Review Tribunals may, either before or after the expiration of those 90 days, allow, after the day on which the party was notified in the prescribed manner of the decision or the person was notified in writing of the Ministers decision and of the reasons for it.
(2) A Review Tribunal shall be constituted in accordance with this section.
(7) Each Review Tribunal shall consist of three persons chosen by the Commissioner from among the members of the panel referred to in subsection (3) , subject to the following requirements: (
a) the Commissioner must designate a member of the bar of a province as the Chairman of the Review Tribunal ; and (
b) where the appeal to be heard involves a disability benefit, at least one member of the Review Tribunal must be a person qualified to practise medicine or a prescribed related profession in a province.
(8) An appeal to a Review Tribunal shall be heard at such place in Canada as is fixed by the Commissioner , having regard to the convenience of the appellant, the Minister, and any other person added as a party to the appeal pursuant to subsection (10). 82.
(1) La personne qui se croit lésée par une décision du ministre rendue en application de larticle 81 ou du paragraphe 84(2) ou celle qui se croit lésée par une décision du ministre rendue en application du paragraphe 27.1(2) de la
Loi sur la sécurité de la vieillesse ou, sous réserve des règlements, quiconque de sa part, peut interjeter appel par écrit auprès dun tribunal de révision de la décision du ministre soit dans les quatre- vingt-dix jours suivant le jour où la première personne est, de la manière prescrite, avisée de cette décision, ou, selon le cas, suivant le jour où le ministre notifie à la deuxième personne sa décision et ses motifs, soit dans le délai plus long autorisé par le commissaire des tribunaux de révision avant ou après lexpiration des quatre- vingt-dix jours.
(2) Un tribunal de révision est constitué conformément au présent article.
(7) Un tribunal de révision se compose de trois personnes qui, provenant de la liste visée au paragraphe (3), sont choisies par le commissaire en fonction des exigences suivantes :
a) le commissaire doit désigner, comme président du tribunal, un membre du barreau dune province;
b) dans les cas où lappel concerne une question se rapportant à une prestation dinvalidité, au moins un membre du tribunal doit être une personne habile à pratiquer la médecine ou une profession connexe prescrite dans une province.
(8) Un appel auprès dun tribunal de révision est entendu à lendroit du Canada que fixe le commissaire, compte tenu de ce qui convient à lappelant, au ministre et aux mis en cause en application du paragraphe (10).
(11) A Review Tribunal may confirm or vary a decision of the Minister made under
section 81 or subsection 84(2) or under subsection 27.1(2) of the Old Age Security Act and may take any action in relation to any of those decisions that might have been taken by the Minister under that
section or either of those subsections, and the Commissioner of Review Tribunals shall thereupon notify the Minister and the other parties to the appeal of the Review Tribunals decision and of the reasons for its decision.
(11) Un tribunal de révision peut confirmer ou modifier une décision du ministre prise en vertu de larticle 81 ou du paragraphe 84(2) ou en vertu du paragraphe 27.1(2) de la
Loi sur la sécurité de la vieillesse et il peut, à cet égard, prendre toute mesure que le ministre aurait pu prendre en application de ces dispositions; le commissaire des tribunaux de révision doit aussitôt donner un avis écrit de la décision du tribunal et des motifs la justifiant au ministre ainsi quaux parties à lappel. (emphasis added) [ 24 ] The Review Tribunal Rules of Procedure , SOR/92-19 (the Rules ) , provides: 3.
(1) An appeal to a Tribunal shall be commenced by conveying to the Commissioner a notice of appeal in writing setting out (
c) the grounds for the appeal including, if applicable, the grounds that put at issue the constitutional validity, applicability or operability of the Act or the Old Age Security Act or regulations made thereunder, and a statement of the facts, issues, statutory provisions, reasons and documentary evidence that the appellant intends to rely on in support of the appeal ;
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1 ), where it appears to the Commissioner that the appellant has failed to provide information in accordance with any of the requirements of paragraphs (1)(
a) to (d), the Commissioner may take such steps to obtain the information as are necessary to rectify the failure. ... 4. The Commissioner shall, on receipt of the notice of appeal, convey a copy of the notice of appeal to the Minister. 5. The Minister shall, within 20 days after receipt of the copy of 3.
(1) Un appel auprès dun tribunal est interjeté par la transmission dun avis dappel au commissaire; cet avis écrit indique :
c) les motifs de lappel, y compris, sil y a lieu, les motifs qui mettent en cause la validité, lapplicabilité ou leffet, sur le plan constitutionnel, de la Loi ou de la
Loi sur la sécurité de la vieillesse ou de leurs règlements, ainsi quun exposé des faits, points, dispositions législatives, raisons et preuves documentaires que lappelant entend invoquer à lappui de son appel;
(2) Malgré le paragraphe (1), lorsquil appert au commissaire que lappelant a omis de fournir certains des renseignements visés aux alinéas
(1) a) à d), le commissaire peut prendre les mesures nécessaires pour obtenir les renseignements manquants et ainsi corriger lomission. 4. Sur réception de lavis dappel, le commissaire en transmet une copie au ministre. DORS/96-523, art. 4. 5. Dans les 20 jours qui suivent la réception de lavis dappel envoyé par le commissaire, le
the notice of appeal from the Commissioner, convey to the Commissioner copies of the following documents relating to the appeal, where applicable: (
a) the application filed by the applicant; (
b) such information relating to the marriage as is required pursuant to subsection 54(2) of the Canada Pension Plan Regulations; (
c) the notification sent in accordance with
section 46 or 46.1 of the Canada Pension Plan Regulations; (
d) the notification sent in accordance with subsection 60(7) of the Act or
section 16 or 24 of the Old Age Security Act ; (
e) the request made to the Minister for a reconsideration under subsection 81(1) of the Act or under subsection 27.1(1) of the Old Age Security Act ; and (
f) the decision made by the Minister as a result of the operation of subsection 81(2) or 84(2) of the Act or subsection 27.1(2) of the Old Age Security Act , the reasons therefor and any documents that are relevant to that decision. 7. The Commissioner shall , on receipt of the documents referred to in
section 5 , (
a) select the members to hear the appeal in accordance with subsection 82(7) of the Act; and (
b) fix the place , in accordance with subsection 82(8) of the Act, and the time for the hearing of the appeal . ministre transmet à celui-ci une copie des documents suivants relatifs à lappel :
a) la demande déposée par le requérant;
b) les renseignements concernant le mariage exigés en vertu du paragraphe 54(2) du Règlement sur le Régime de pensions du Canada;
c) lavis donné conformément aux articles 46 ou 46.1 du Règlement sur le Régime de pensions du Canada;
d) lavis donné conformément au paragraphe 60(7) de la Loi ou la notification donnée conformément aux articles 16 ou 24 de la
Loi sur la sécurité de la vieillesse ;
e) la demande de révision présentée au ministre conformément au paragraphe 81(1) de la Loi ou au paragraphe 27.1(1) de la
Loi sur la sécurité de la vieillesse ;
f) la décision prise par le ministre en application des paragraphes 81(2) ou 84(2) de la Loi ou du paragraphe 27.1(2) de la
Loi sur la sécurité de la vieillesse , les motifs de cette décision et tout document sy rapportant. 7. Le commissaire, sur réception des documents visés à larticle 5 :
a) choisit conformément au paragraphe 82(7) de la Loi les membres qui entendront lappel;
b) fixe lendroit, conformément au paragraphe 82(8) de la Loi, ainsi que la date et lheure où lappel sera entendu. (emphasis added) Issues [ 25 ] In this matter, the relevant question is not whether a Review Tribunal had the jurisdiction to hear the matters raised by the Applicant, but whether the Commissioner has the jurisdiction to refuse to convene a Review Tribunal to hear the Applicants appeal. [ 26 ] Accordingly, I consider the issues to be:
a) Does the Commissioner of Review Tribunals have the jurisdiction to refuse to convene a Review Tribunal to hear an appeal? And alternatively,
b) Did the Commissioner fail to observe a principle of procedural fairness by refusing to convene a Review Tribunal to hear an appeal? Standard of Review [27] The Applicant does not make any submissions with respect to the standard of review. [28] The Respondent submits the appropriate standard is correctness with respect to the issue of the Commissioners jurisdiction todecide not to convene a review Tribunal hearing.
The Respondent also submits that the issue of procedural fairness attracts a correctnessstandard. [29] The Intervener agrees with the Respondent that the standard of review with respect to each issue is that of correctness. [30] The Supreme Court of Canada determined in Dunsmuir v New Brunswick, 2008 SCC 9 (Dunsmuir) at paras 32-34 that thereare only two standards of review at common law in Canada: reasonableness and correctness. Questions of fact and mixed questions offact and law are decided on the reasonableness standard.
Questions of law are determined on the correctness standard. [31] The Supreme Court found determining the appropriate standard of review in a given case requires two steps. The first step isto look at jurisprudence and see if the applicable standard has been previously determined in a satisfactory manner. If not, then a court isto conduct a standard of review analysis: Dunsmuir at para. 62. This and the companion proceeding are the first applications before thisCourt involving a review of the Commissioners refusal to
schedule a Review Tribunal hearing. [32] Generally, the jurisdiction of an administrative decision-maker is a question of statutory
interpretation. In Dunsmuir, theSupreme Court writes at para. 29: Administrative powers are exercised by decision makers according to statutory regimes that are themselves confined. A decision makermay not exercise authority not specifically assigned to him or her. By acting in the absence of legal authority, the decision makertransgresses the principle of the rule of law.
Thus, when a reviewing court considers the scope of a decision-making power or thejurisdiction conferred by a statute, the standard of review analysis strives to determine what authority was intended to be given to thebody in relation to the subject matter. This is done within the context of the courts' constitutional duty to ensure that public authorities donot overreach their lawful powers: Crevier v. Attorney General of Quebec, (SCC), [1981] 2 S.C.R. 220, at p. 234; alsoDr. Q v.
College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia, [2003] 1 S.C.R. 226, 2003 SCC 19, at para. 21. [33] The Supreme Court characterized true jurisdiction as a question of law requiring a standard or correctness in Dunsmuir atpara. 59: Administrative bodies must also be correct in their determinations of true questions of jurisdiction or vires. We mention true questions ofvires to distance ourselves from the extended
definitions adopted before CUPE. It is important here to take a robust view of jurisdiction. "Jurisdiction" is intended in the narrow sense of whether or not the tribunal had the authority to make the inquiry. In other words, truejurisdiction questions arise where the tribunal must explicitly determine whether its statutory grant of power gives it the authority todecide a particular matter. The tribunal must interpret the grant of authority correctly or its action will be found to be ultra vires or toconstitute a wrongful decline of jurisdiction: D. J. M. Brown and J. M.
Evans, Judicial Review of Administrative Action in Canada(loose-leaf), at pp. 14-3 to 14-6. (emphasis added) [34] The above Supreme Court pronouncement points to correctness as the standard of review. [35] However, the Supreme Court was careful to emphasize questions of true jurisdiction will be narrow.
It had earlier in thejudgment acknowledged that deference would arise where a tribunal is interpreting its own statute or statutes closely connected to itsfunction, with which it will have particular familiarity. [36] Here, the Intervener submits the Commissioner was acting in accordance with the case management system developed toaddress the challenges of administering OAS and CPP appeals. Arguably, the Commissioner is interpreting its own statute or statutesclosely connected to its function with which it has familiarity.
[37] This application and the companion application raise for the first time the jurisdiction for the Commissioner to close an appealwithout convening a Review Tribunal. It therefore invites a standard of review analysis as being a case of first impression. [38] The standard of review analysis as considered in Baker v Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration), (SCC), [1999] 2 S.C.R. 817 at paras 58-62 (Baker) and Dunsmuir at para. 64, involves consideration of the following factors: 1. The presence or absence of a privative clause; 2. The expertise of the decision-maker; 3.
The purpose of the provision in particular and the act as a whole; and 4. The nature of the problem. [39] This application involves the refusal by the Commissioner to
schedule an appeal hearing before a Review Tribunal. An appealdecision by a Review Tribunal pursuant to
section 28 of the OAS has a privative clause and is subject to limited review in that it is onlyreviewable before the Federal Court. However, there is no restriction or privative clause concerning a decision by the Commissioner inthe exercise of his functions.
Accordingly, this factor tends toward less deference for the Commissioners decisions. [40] While the CPP provides that the pool of Review Tribunal members must include a percentage of members of the bar of aprovince, paragraph 82.(3)(a), and that the chairperson of a Review Tribunal must be a member of the bar, paragraph 82.(7), theserequirements do not apply to the position of Commissioner or Deputy Commissioner.
The Commissioner may have administrativeexperience and expertise arising from performing the Commissioners role and may well have legal training but that is not a requirementfor the position for Commissioner. This points to a less deferential approach in review. [41] The OAS provides pensions and supplements to individuals who meet the eligibility requirements. That benefit extends to theestates of such individuals. Those individuals have a statutory right of appeal when dissatisfied with a reconsideration decision by theMinister.
Given the importance of the right of appeal to the individual, or the individuals estate, less deference is given to a decisionrestricting or denying that right. [42] Lastly, the nature of the decision under review involves an assessment of jurisdiction rather than an exercise of discretion. Inthis regard, no deference is to be given by a Court to an administrative bodys determination of jurisdiction. [43] I find the above analysis indicates that the appropriate standard of review of the Commissioners decision not to convene aReview Tribunal in respect of an OAS appeal is one of correctness.
The Commissioner will be afforded no deference with respect to hisdetermination he has jurisdiction to refuse to convene a Review Tribunal. [44] On questions of procedural fairness, the standard or review is the same as that of correctness which attracts no deference froma reviewing court: Sketchley v Canada (Attorney General), 2005 FCA 404 at para. 46. Analysis [45] The Applicant submits that the Commissioners decision to close the appeal was not justice. The Applicant reiterates that Mrs.Stevens had been a good citizen and did not receive the OAS benefits she was entitled to.
The Applicant strongly protests the elevenmonth limit to the retroactive payment. The Applicant does not make any representation on the jurisdictional issue. [46] The Respondent submits that a de novo right of appeal exists before the Review Tribunal with respect to reconsideration
decisions by the Minister regarding prescribed matters under the OAS . The Respondent submits that once the statutory requirements for an appeal are satisfied, the Commissioner is required by statute to choose three Review Tribunal members to hear the Applicants appeal. By refusing to convene a hearing, the Respondent submits the Commissioner exceeded his jurisdiction and, as well, breached the natural justice principle of a right to be heard. [ 47 ] The Intervener submits the Commissioner has the jurisdiction to close an appeal file where a Review Tribunal does not have the jurisdiction to decide the appeal.
This jurisdiction arises by consideration of the relevant statutory provisions. Central to the Interveners submission is the case management system the OCRT has implemented for OAS Review Tribunal appeals. [ 48 ] I note that the Intervener also argues the Commissioners jurisdiction arises by necessary implication in oral and written argument in relation to the companion case, Lambie . Since the Intervener did not advance this argument in its written submission in this case, I will address the question of jurisdiction by necessary implication in my decision in Lambie .
The Case Management System [ 49 ] The Intervener has led evidence about its case management system. The Intervener explains that, in an attempt to provide service appropriate to the appellant populations who are predominantly self-represented senior citizens with a diversity of needs and backgrounds, the OCRT implemented a pre-hearing case management system. This case management system was initially delivered by the legal unit in 1998 but later was transferred to an administrative unit in 2002.
The Intervener states that the development of the case management process can be generally summarized as relating to fairness and efficiency considerations. [ 50 ] The OCRT receives almost two hundred OAS Notices of Appeal each year. A considerable number of those appeals raise issues that are not within a Review Tribunals jurisdiction to decide including: Determination of income: subsection 28(2) of the OAS requires such determination to be referred to the Tax Court of Canada; Erroneous Advice/Administrative Error: a Review Tribunal does not have jurisdiction to review determinations under
section 32 of the OAS , the erroneous advice/administrative error section; the proper remedy of a Ministers
section 32 determination is an application to the Federal Court for judicial review; Remission of Overpayment: a Review Tribunal does not have the authority to entertain an appeal of the Ministers decision made under paragraph 37(4) (
d) of the OAS ; and Compassionate grounds/special circumstances: a Review Tribunal, as a creature of statute, has no equitable jurisdiction and cannot use the principle of fairness to grant retroactive benefits in excess of statutory grounds. [ 51 ] The Intervener states that the very high number of OAS appellants raising issues that are not within a Review Tribunals jurisdiction has been a challenge for the OCRT since the late 1990s.
These members include appellants requesting relief from the statutory limit on retroactive OAS pension payments. [ 52 ] For instance, the Intervener reports that OAS Notices of Appeal received in the month of May 2009 is illustrative of the OAS case management challenge.
Of the 22 OAS Notices of Appeal: a) 5 (22%) raised as the sole ground of appeal compassionate circumstances or allegations that the Department provided erroneous advice; b) 3 (18.1%) raised no ground of appeal or at all; c) 7(31.8%) required clarification before grounds of appeal, if any, could be identified; d) 6 (27.2%) provided adequate information to ascertain grounds of appeal, but varied widely. [ 53 ] The Intervener estimates the average direct cost of a Review Tribunal hearing is $1,747 and the average indirect cost is
$1,719. For the same year as the present matter, 2007-08, a total of 69 appeals were closed by the Commissioner because they were considered to either fail to raise an issue that a Review Tribunal is authorized to decide or failed to raise a statutory ground of appeal.
The estimated cost of sending these 69 appeals to a review Tribunal would had totalled approximately $239, 154. [ 54 ] The Intervener submits that its case management process attempts to balance the fairness with efficiency concerns of a modern, high volume administrative tribunal and reduces hearing wait times for those whose notices of appeal meet the requirements of section 3(1) of the Rules as well as freeing up resources for improved client service at the pre-hearing stage. Statutory Authority [ 55 ] The Intervener submits the Commissioners jurisdiction may be derived from statutory
interpretation of the legislative framework within which the Commissioner operates. There is nothing in the OAS , the CPP or the Rules that prohibit establishment of a case management process for the Review Tribunals. The legislation and the regulations do not answer every procedural question and there is no general procedure statute to guide federal administrative tribunals such as the Review Tribunals.
In such circumstances, the Intervener submits tribunals are entitled to establish their own procedure subject to the duty to act fairly. [ 56 ] The language of subsection 3(1) of the Rules specifically requires an appellant to provide, inter alia , the grounds for the appeal and a statement of the facts, issues, statutory provisions, reasons and documentary evidence the appellant intends to rely on.
The Intervener emphasises that subsection 3(2) of the Rules authorizes the Commissioner may do what is necessary to obtain the information that will rectify any failure by an appellant to comply with subsection 3(1). [ 57 ] The Intervener says that the mandatory provisions of the Rules ,
section 4 and subsequent procedural provisions make sense only after the requirements of subsection 3(1) are met. The Intervener submits that the language of
section 3 makes it clear that it is the Commissioners responsibility, not a Review Tribunals, to decide when a notice of appeal satisfies those requirements. [ 58 ] The Intervener therefore submits the Commissioner may close an appeal file where it is unlikely that a notice of appeal can be made to meet the requirements of
section 3 either because the proffered reason for the appeal is precluded by statute or by binding jurisprudence. The Intervener submits the Commissioner is not assessing an arguable case; he is determining whether an appellant has raised grounds within a Review Tribunals jurisdiction to decide. [ 59 ] The Intervener concludes this line of argument by contending that sending every appeal to a Review Tribunal regardless of the governing legislation would defeat the purpose of
section 3 of the Rules . [ 60 ] The first difficulty with the Interveners submission that the Commissioner has a statutory ground for asserting jurisdiction to close an appeal is that the Commissioners powers are circumscribed by the statutory provisions. The Commissioner is responsible for overseeing the convening of Review Tribunals and providing administrative services for Review Tribunals. Subsections 82(7), 82(8) and 82(11) all employ mandatory language must or shall in setting out the Commissioners duties. [ 61 ] An ordinary reading of
section 82 of the CPP reveals that a Review Tribunal hearing must be scheduled. The use of the word shall indicates the requirement is mandatory. There is no ambiguity in the statutory language to displace the ordinary meaning of the mandatory language in
section 82: Ruth Sullivan, Driedger on the Construction of Statutes , 3 rd ed. (Toronto and Vancouver: Butterworths, 1994), pp. 369-370. [ 62 ] Similarly,
section 7 of the Rules also employs the same mandatory language: The Commissioner shall, on receipt of the documents referred to in
section 5 ...select the members to hear the appeal in accordance with subsection 82(7) of the Act; and... fix the place, in accordance with subsection 82(8) of the Act, and time for the hearing of the appeal. [ 63 ] The only provision that provides the Commissioner with discretionary authority is subsection 3(2) of the Rules which provides that the Commissioner may take steps to obtain information an applicant failed to provide in order to rectify the failure to comply with section 3(1) of the Rules . In my view this discretionary authority to take steps to remedy subsection 3(1) deficiencies does not displace the mandatory requirements of
section 82 of the CPP and the Rules. [ 64 ] More importantly, I would hold that the discretionary provision in subsection 3(2) of the Rules , which is merely a procedural
regulation, cannot be interpreted to defeat a right of appeal given to a person by express statutory language in
section 28 of the OAS and subsection 82(1) of the CPP. [ 65 ] I also come to my conclusion that the Commissioner does not have the jurisdiction to close an appeal file, not only because of the greater import of statutory language, but also because of the de novo nature of the Review Tribunal hearing. De Novo Hearing [ 66 ] In its submissions, the Respondent asserts that an appellant has a de novo right of appeal from reconsideration decisions by the Minister before the Review Tribunal.
Although the Respondent does not cite any support for this in its overview, I believe the Respondent is correct. [ 67 ] None of the provisions in the OAS , CPP or the Rules expressly specify a Review Tribunal hearing is a de novo hearing. However, the statutory provisions leave little doubt the hearing is to be conducted de novo . [ 68 ] Subsection 28(1) of the OAS indicates that a person may appeal the decision to a Review Tribunal established under
section 82 of the CPP. The right to appeal by right is reiterated in
section 82 of the latter act. A Review Tribunal may exercise all the powers the Minister has. These powers are set out in
section 11:
(11) A Review Tribunal may confirm or vary a decision of the Minister made under
section 81 or subsection 84(2) or under subsection 27.1(2) of the Old Age Security Act and may take any action in relation to any of those decisions that might have been taken by the Minister under that
section or either of those subsections, and the Commissioner of Review Tribunals shall thereupon notify the Minister and the other parties to the appeal of the Review Tribunals decision and of the reasons for its decision. [ 69 ] Subsection 84(1) provides that a Review Tribunal may decide questions of law or fact, based on the evidence and, significantly, subsection 84(2) provides that a Review Tribunal may make findings based on new evidence in a subsequent rehearing: 84.
(1) A Review Tribunal and the Pension Appeals Board have authority to determine any question of law or fact
(2) The Minister, a Review Tribunal or the Pension Appeals Board may, notwithstanding subsection (1), on new facts , rescind or amend a decision under this Act given by him, the Tribunal or the Board, as the case may be. (emphasis added) [ 70 ] Further, the Rules provide for witnesses to be examined orally, as would be expected in de novo hearings: 11.1 Witnesses shall be examined orally under oath at the hearing of an appeal, but, before the hearing or at any time during the hearing, any party to the appeal may apply to the Tribunal for an order permitting that all facts or any particular fact or facts may be proven other than by oral evidence and the Tribunal may make any order that in its opinion the circumstances of the case require. [ 71 ] In Canada (Minister of Human Resources) v Chhabu , 2005 FC 1277 at para. 17 the Court refers to and accepts a Review Tribunal hearing as a hearing de novo : The parties agree that the appeal before the Review Tribunal is a de novo hearing. Similarly, other cases dealing with Review Tribunal hearings treat Review Tribunal appeals as de novo hearings: Khota v Canada (Minister of Human Resources and Skills Development) , 2007 FC 805 and McDonald v Canada (Minister of Human Resources and Skills Development) , 2009 FC 1074 . [ 72 ] I conclude that a Review Tribunal hearing on an OAS reconsideration appeal is a de novo hearing.
Accordingly, an appellant may introduce new issues in the Review Tribunal appeal hearing. [ 73 ] In turning to the facts of this application, neither the case management officer nor the Commissioner made reference to an exception to the statutory limit on retroactive OAS payments, the incapacity provision, notwithstanding the Ministers delegates consideration of that issue.
Given the de novo nature of the appeal, it would be open for the Applicants to revisit that issue. [ 74 ] Because an appellant has a right to introduce a new issue in a de novo at Review Tribunal hearing, the Commissioner is in no position to conclusively determine beforehand an appeal is not within the Review Tribunals purview.
[ 75 ] The Commissioner may not close an appeal file and deny an appellants opportunity to a de novo hearing. Indeed, it is my view the purpose of subsection 3(2) is to enable the Commissioner to facilitate the preparation of a proper appeal for the Review Tribunals consideration. This may involve inquiry to identify proper grounds and factual evidence required for a Review Tribunal if an appellant does not articulate as such.
Procedural Fairness [ 76 ] The Respondent further submitted that the Commissioners refusal to convene a Review Tribunals hearing constituted a breach of procedural fairness because the Applicants had a statutory right to a Review Tribunal hearing. [ 77 ] In Baker , the Supreme Court of Canada underlined the key values relating to procedural fairness at para. 28: The values underlying the duty of procedural fairness relate to the principle that the individual or individuals affected should have the opportunity to present their case fully and fairly, and have decisions affecting their rights, interests, or privileges made using a fair, impartial, and open process, appropriate to the statutory, institutional, and social context of the decision. [ 78 ] The Supreme Court set out a non-exhaustive list of factors to consider in determining the degree of procedural fairness:
a) The nature of the decision;
b) The nature of the statutory scheme;
c) The importance of the decision to the individuals affected;
d) The legitimate expectations of the person challenging the provision, and
e) The choice of procedure made by the agency itself. [ 79 ] The OAS /CPP statutory scheme provides individuals with a means of appealing a reconsideration decision by the Minister or his delegate. This right of appeal is significant. It provides for a hearing that allows for submission of evidence, receipt of relevant materials beforehand and a panel of three decision makers who would provide reasons along with their decision.
Clearly, a person would have a legitimate expectation of a receiving full hearing upon filing an appeal. [ 80 ] It is also apparent that the OAS appeal process is available to self-represented applicants and, in fact, a significant number of such appeals are made by self-represented parties who are uninformed about the requirements about the requirements of subsection 3(1) of the Rules .
This is the very reason given for the introduction for the case management process adopted by the OCRT. [ 81 ] Subsection 3(2) of the Rules provides that the Commissioner may take such steps to obtain the information as are necessary to rectify the failure. The Commissioner did not make any effort to address the perceived deficiency in the Applicants appeal before the June 5, 2008 decision or the July 11, 2008 reconfirmation closing the Applicants appeal file. [ 82 ] I find that by deciding on June 5, 2008 not to convene a Review Tribunal hearing without first alerting the Applicant to any perceived deficiency in its Notice of Appeal, the Commissioner denied the Applicant access to a Review Tribunal hearing. [ 83 ] It is no answer for the Commissioner to point to his reconsideration decision on July 11, 2008 since there was no offer to reconsider.
Instead it was merely a confirmation of a previously made decision in response to the Applicants relayed request to reopen its appeal. [ 84 ] I find the Commissioner breached procedural fairness in closing the appeal without affording the Applicants the right to be heard by a Review Tribunal. Conclusion [ 85 ] I conclude the Commissioner does not have the jurisdiction to close the Applicants OAS appeal file without convening a Review Tribunal to hear the appeal.
[ 86 ] The application for judicial review is granted. [ 87 ] I make no order for costs. JUDGMENT THIS COURT ORDERS AND ADJUDGES that : 1. The application for judicial review is granted. 2. The matter is remitted to the Commissioner to re-determine this matter in accordance with these reasons. 3. No order for costs is made. Leonard S. Mandamin Judge FEDERAL COURT SOLICITORS OF RECORD DOCKET: T-1883-08 STYLE OF CAUSE: ESTATE VIOLET STEVENS & JUNE TAYLOR EXECUTOR v. ATTORNEY GENERAL OF CANADA , ET AL. PLACE OF HEARING: TORONTO , ONTARIO DATE OF HEARING: May 18, 2010 REASONS FOR JUDGMENT AND JUDGMENT: MANDAMIN J. DATED: JANUARY 28, 2011 APPEARANCES :
Ms. June Taylor SELF-REPRESENTED APPLICANT Ms. Nicole Butcher Ms. Jennifer Hockey Ms. Shannon Russell Ms. Krista Cajka FOR THE RESPONDENT FOR THE INTERVENER SOLICITORS OF RECORD : N/A FOR THE APPLICANT Myles J. Kirvan Deputy Attorney General of Canada Ottawa, Ontario Office of the Commissioner of Review Tribunals Ottawa , Ontario FOR THE RESPONDENT FOR THE INTERVENER