2023 FC, 2023 FC 1000
Opinion
Date: 20230721 Docket: T-2250-22 Citation: 2023 FC 1000 Ottawa, Ontario, July 21, 2023 PRESENT: Madam Justice Pallotta BETWEEN: THE MINISTER OF NATIONAL REVENUE Applicant and ZEIFMANS LLP Respondent JUDGMENT AND REASONS I. Overview [ 1 ] The Minister of National Revenue (Minister) brings this
summary application under
section 231.7 of the Income Tax Act , RSC 1985, c 1 (5th Supp ) as amended [ ITA ]. The Minister seeks a compliance order that would compel Zeifmans LLP (Zeifmans), a tax and accounting partnership, to provide documents and information that were requested in a January 30, 2019 letter issued pursuant to
section 231.2 of the ITA , and titled " “Requirement to Provide Documents or Information” " (Requirement). [ 2 ] The Requirement is connected to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) tax audits, under the Related Party Audit Program (RPAP), of individuals and entities related to or economically connected to members of the Ghermezian family (Ghermezian Group). In 2014, the CRA informed Nader Ghermezian that it had commenced audits of his personal tax returns and the tax returns of entities controlled by him or persons related to him. In 2015, the CRA advised Mr.
Ghermezian’s daughter, Diana Vaturi, and his son-in-law Marc Vaturi that it had commenced audits of their personal tax returns. [ 3 ] Zeifmans is not under audit. The Minister sent the Requirement to Zeifmans because it is the authorized representative for the Vaturis. The Requirement required Zeifmans to provide certain categories of documents and information related to Mr. Ghermezian, Ms. and Mr. Vaturi, and entities owned, operated, controlled or otherwise connected to them, for the period January 1, 2012 to December 31, 2017.
Zeifmans has not provided any of the requested documents or information. [ 4 ] Zeifmans’ position in response to the Minister’s compliance application is that this Court should not issue an order that would compel it to produce the documents and information in the Requirement, for two reasons. First, the statutory conditions for issuing a compliance order under
section 231.7 of the ITA have not been met, including because the Minister was required to obtain judicial authorization under subsection 231.2(3) of the ITA before issuing the Requirement and she did not do so. Second, even if the statutory conditions have been met, the judicial discretion afforded by
section 231.7 should be exercised against ordering Zeifmans to comply with the Requirement, or any part of it. Accordingly, Zeifmans asks the Court to dismiss the Minister’s application. [ 5 ] The Minister submits that the Court should not entertain Zeifmans’ arguments. The Minister contends Zeifmans’ arguments against granting a compliance order strike at the core of the Requirement’s validity, and Zeifmans already had an opportunity to challenge the Requirement’s validity.
Zeifmans brought an application for judicial review to set aside the Requirement, and the application was dismissed: Zeifmans LLP v Canada (National Revenue) , 2021 FC 363 [ Zeifmans FC ]. Zeifmans’ appeal of Zeifmans FC was also dismissed: Zeifmans LLP v Canada , 2022 FCA 160 [ Zeifmans FCA ]. To the extent Zeifmans raises arguments on this application that were or should have been raised on judicial review, the arguments constitute an impermissible collateral attack on the Requirement. Also, the Minister states Zeifmans’ arguments are an abuse of the Court’s process.
Zeifmans attempts to relitigate issues that were decided in Zeifmans FC and Zeifmans FCA , including by relying on case law that was expressly overturned in Zeifmans FCA . [ 6 ] Alternatively, and in any event, the Minister submits Zeifmans’ arguments lack merit. The Minister states she has satisfied the
section 231.7 conditions for issuing a compliance order, and an exercise of judicial discretion against ordering Zeifmans to comply with the Requirement is not warranted in this case. [ 7 ] I am not persuaded that Zeifmans’ position on this application constitutes a collateral attack on the Requirement.
Section 231.7 of the ITA expressly obliges the Court to examine the underlying
section 231.2 request, and Zeifmans’ arguments address that question. The judicial review application addressed a different question of whether the Minister’s decision to proceed without judicial authorization was reasonable. Zeifmans’ arguments that the
section 231.7 conditions for a compliance order have not been met are made in the appropriate forum, and not collaterally. [ 8 ] Furthermore, in each proceeding the judge’s decision must be based on the record that is before them. The record in this proceeding is materially different from the record that was before the Court in Zeifmans FC .
The Court held in Zeifmans FC that the reasonableness of the Minister’s decision to proceed without judicial authorization in each case depends on whether the evidence in the record establishes that unnamed persons are under investigation or audit by the CRA, and there was " “no evidence in the record that the Unnamed Persons are a current investigation target” " : Zeifmans FC at paras 49, 64 . The evidence on this application establishes that Unnamed Persons, as defined in Zeifmans FC , were and are an investigation target.
In fact, Unnamed Persons were already under audit when the Requirement was issued, and the audits are not yet complete.
[ 9 ] It is not an abuse of the Court’s process to permit Zeifmans to raise substantive arguments addressing the very issues the Court is obliged to decide on this application. Deciding on this record whether a compliance order should be granted does not revisit the decisions in Zeifmans FC or Zeifmans FCA or call those decisions into question. The nature of the proceedings, the legal tests, and the evidentiary records are different. [ 10 ] In my view, Zeifmans’ arguments have merit.
Based on the record that is before me, I am not satisfied that the subsection 231.7 conditions for issuing a compliance order have been met. In addition, I am not satisfied I should grant a compliance order in the exercise of judicial discretion. [ 11 ] Accordingly, for the reasons below, this application is dismissed. II. Issues [ 12 ] The issues are: 1 . Are Zeifmans’ arguments barred by the doctrines of collateral attack or abuse of process? 2 . Should the Court grant a compliance order under
section 231.7 of the ITA , compelling Zeifmans to provide the documents and information in the Requirement? [ 13 ] I will also address a preliminary issue regarding Zeifmans’ objection to the Minister’s reply memorandum. III. Analysis A. The parties’ records [ 14 ] As differences between this record and the record on judicial review are relevant to the issues, I will begin by summarizing the record that is before me. [ 15 ] The Minister commenced this proceeding by filing a notice of
summary application on October 26, 2022. The Minister’s application record, filed on November 2, 2022, consists of the notice of
summary application, written submissions, a draft order, and the following affidavit evidence: 1 . Affidavit of Andrew Bowe, affirmed November 1, 2022 : Mr. Bowe is a strategic advisor in the High Net Worth Compliance Directorate within the CRA’s Compliance Programs Branch.Prior to January 18, 2021, he was an International and Large Business Case Manager in the CRA’s former Edmonton Tax Services Office.Mr. Bowe was the case manager for the Ghermezian Group audits under the RPAP from May 2015 until January 18, 2021.He supervised the audits of Mr. Ghermezian and the Vaturis at the material times.Mr.
Bowe’s affidavit provides information about the history of the audits and the events that led to the issuance of the Requirement. 2 . Affidavit of Ismail Choulli, affirmed November 1, 2022 :Mr. Choulli is an International and Large Business Case Manager in the CRA’s High Complexity Audit Tax Services Office (formerly the Edmonton Tax Services Office).In August 2021, Mr. Choulli was assigned as Case Manager for the audits of Mr. Ghermezian and the Vaturis.Mr. Choulli’s affidavit provides some of the same information as Mr. Bowe’s affidavit, but it is more limited because Mr.
Choulli became involved in the audits after the Requirement had issued. 3 . Affidavit of Brendan Tait, affirmed November 2, 2022 :Mr. Tait is a paralegal with the Department of Justice’s (DOJ) Ontario Regional Office, Tax Law Services Section.Mr. Tait helped to prepare the Minister’s compliance application.Mr. Tait’s affidavit attaches a letter and email from the DOJ informing Zeifmans of the Minister’s intention to commence a compliance application, and responding correspondence from Zeifmans’ counsel.Mr.
Tait attests that the DOJ has not received any of the documents or information specified in the Requirement from Zeifmans. [ 16 ] Zeifmans served an affidavit of Tomer Shenhav, sworn November 7, 2022. Mr. Shenhav is an associate lawyer at the law firm representing Zeifmans in this application. His affidavit attaches excerpts from the ITA , and excerpts from CRA Income Tax Audit Manuals that were published in April 2015 and July 2020.
It also attaches a copy of the certified tribunal record (CTR) the Minister produced in Zeifmans’ judicial review proceeding, which certifies and attaches copies of the two documents that were considered by the Minister’s delegate in issuing the Requirement—namely, a draft copy of the Requirement, and a 9-page " “Information Sheet for a Requirement to Provide Information” " (Information Sheet). The Information Sheet reproduced as part of the CTR is heavily redacted. A less redacted Information Sheet, produced later in the judicial review proceeding, is also an exhibit to Mr. Shenhav’s affidavit. [ 17 ] Mr.
Bowe, Mr. Choulli and Mr. Shenhav were cross-examined on their affidavits. [ 18 ] Zeifmans’ responding record, filed December 1, 2022, consists of Mr. Shenhav’s affidavit, transcripts from the three cross- examinations, and Zeifmans’ written submissions. [ 19 ] The evidence that is germane to the issues on this application is mostly from Mr. Bowe’s affidavit and cross-examination, and the Information Sheet. [ 20 ] On December 2, 2022, the Minister served a 50-page reply memorandum of argument, referencing more than 30 additional authorities.
B. Preliminary Issue – Minister’s reply memorandum [21] At the hearing, the Minister sought leave to "“regularize”" the filing of written reply submissions. Zeifmans objected on the basisthat the Federal Courts Rules do not contemplate written reply, and Zeifmans would be prejudiced. The Minister served the reply on theFriday before a Tuesday hearing, without any attempt to notify Zeifmans or seek consent. [22] The Minister states the reply submissions were intended to provide Zeifmans with as much notice as possible regarding submissionsshe is entitled to make orally.
The Minister acknowledges that the written reply was submitted after 5 pm on the Friday before thehearing, and she did not seek Zeifmans’ consent or provide a covering letter to explain her reasons for preparing it—a mistake shecontends was due to haste.
The Minister states she did not know what Zeifmans would argue until she received the responding record,and she prepared a written reply so that the two hours allotted for the hearing of this application could be used efficiently. [23] Zeifmans counters that the Minister always bears the burden in a compliance application and is not entitled to advanced notice of arespondent’s position. Zeifmans states the volume of the Minister’s written submissions on this application overwhelm Zeifmans’written submissions, and there was insufficient time to fully consider the reply arguments and additional authorities.
If the Court were toaccept the Minister’s written reply memorandum, Zeifmans requested a greater proportion of the hearing time in order to respond. [24] At the hearing, I stated that I would accept the Minister’s reply memorandum for filing under reserve of objection, which I wouldconsider following the hearing, and that I would give Zeifmans additional time to respond to the Minister’s submissions. [25] The Minister should have requested a special sitting.
The Minister set this matter down for a two-hour hearing at general sittings anddid not revise the time estimate despite the Court’s direction asking whether the estimate remained accurate. Since the Minister read inmost of the reply memorandum as oral submissions, the efficiencies the Minister expected would be realized by preparing a written replydid not materialize. The application was the last matter on the general sittings list, the Court sat late to accommodate a three-hourhearing, and even with the extra hour, the hearing was rushed.
Although I stated that I would give Zeifmans additional time to respond tothe Minister’s submissions, in the end, the time for each side’s submissions was roughly equal. [26] In hindsight, I recognize that Zeifmans’ ability to properly address the issues first raised by way of the Minister’s reply may havebeen compromised. The Minister’s written submissions exceeded the page limit provided under the Rules and were more than doubleZeifmans’ 30 pages of written submissions.
The extra hour of hearing time did not address the imbalance, and although neither partyrequested an adjournment, it probably would have been preferable to adjourn the matter to a special sitting. [27] That said, and as noted above, the Minister read in much of the reply as oral submissions, and while Zeifmans’ submissions mayhave been less organized and thorough than it would have preferred, Zeifmans capably addressed the new issues raised in the reply.
Iinformed the parties that I would take extra time to render my decision and I have carefully considered all the written and oralsubmissions, and the cited authorities. Since I have decided that the Minister’s application must be dismissed, any prejudice to Zeifmanswas not so significant as to affect the result. For these reasons, I have decided to admit the Minister’s reply memorandum. C. The statutory conditions under
section 231.7 of the ITA [28] Before turning to the issues I must decide, in this
section I will outline Zeifmans’ arguments that are alleged to constitute animpermissible collateral attack or an abuse of the Court’s process. For context, I will provide some high-level observations about thestatutory regime and reproduce the relevant statutory provisions. [29] In order to maintain the integrity of the tax system and to ensure compliance with Canada’s self-assessing and self-reporting systemof taxation, the ITA includes provisions giving the Minister broad powers to investigate and audit taxpayers: R v McKinlay TransportLtd, (SCC), [1990] 1 SCR 627 at 648.
The statutory provisions that are at issue in this proceeding are part of the ITA’sadministration and enforcement provisions that allow the Minister, or persons authorized to act on her behalf, to audit taxpayers, requestdocuments and information from taxpayers or third parties, and take prescribed actions if taxpayers or third parties do not comply. [30] The Minister issued the Requirement to Zeifmans pursuant to
section 231.2 of the ITA. Subsection 231.2(1) confers broad andgeneral powers to require any person to produce any information or any document for any purpose related to the administration orenforcement of the ITA: Canada (National Revenue) v Lee, 2016 FCA 53 at para 5 [Lee]. However, the Minister’s powers areconstrained by subsection 231.2(2). In certain circumstances, the Minister must obtain a judge’s authorization to issue a
section 231.2requirement: ITA, ss 231.2(2) and 231.2(3). The Minister did not obtain judicial authorization before issuing the Requirement toZeifmans. [31] The Requirement is dated January 30, 2019 and addressed to "“Zeifmans LLP”".
The key parts of the Requirement are thefollowing (emphasis in original): Subject: Requirement to provide information regarding Marc Vaturi, Diana Vaturi (also known as DianaGhermezian), and Nader Ghermezian For purposes related to the administration or enforcement of the Income Tax Act (the “Act”), Zeifmans LLP (“Zeifmans”) isrequired to provide within thirty (30) days from the date of this notice of requirement, pursuant to the provisions ofsubsection 231.2(1) of the Act, the following information and documents pertaining to the period of January 1, 2012 toDecember 31, 2017.
For the above-named individuals, whether solely or jointly, and entities owned, operated, controlled or otherwise connectedto the above-mentioned individuals, please provide: 1. All correspondence including emails and records in a chain of communications including attachments, between Zeifmans
and the above-mentioned individuals and connected entities; 2. All records of communications made with other domestic and/or international accounting firms, registry offices, provincial bodies, and other government bodies (not including audit queries and responses issued between Zeifmans and Canada Revenue Agency) on behalf of the above individuals and connected entities; 3. All correspondence items mentioning or identifying Dalia Ghermezian, James Ghermezian, and Michael Ghermezian in any manner, jointly or severally, whatsoever; 4.
All accounting records, director and shareholder resolutions, share certificates, registry documents, property assessments and bank statements provided to Zeifmans by the above individuals or connected entities (or provided to Zeifmans by third parties on behalf of the above individuals or connected entities); 5. Accounting records including working papers, adjusting journal entries, and trial balances; 6. Step memorandums, tax planning letters, letters of engagement; 7. Memo to files, client profiles; 8. Loan documents, including signed agreements, and grid loan records; 9.
Emails including draft versions of loan agreements and grid loan working papers/calculations; 10. Records authorizing decisions relating to tax planning and/or accounting services; and 11. All other correspondence, letters, instructions, opinion letters or reports, minutes of meetings, records of discussions and telephone conservations, notes, jottings, or other written/recorded communication discussing, planning, or otherwise relevant to the information requested. The above list is not exhaustive and we may request additional information required for our audit at a later time.
For any one or more individuals that the request applies to, please provide the information either jointly, if it applies to multiple individuals, or individually, if it only applies to a single person. […] [ 32 ] As previously stated, Zeifmans has not provided any documents or information sought by the Requirement, and its application for judicial review challenging the Requirement was dismissed. The Minister now seeks a compliance order pursuant to
section 231.7 of the ITA . [ 33 ]
Section 231.7 of the ITA allows this Court to issue an order that would compel Zeifmans to provide any information or document sought by the Requirement " “if the judge is satisfied” " that Zeifmans was required under
section 231.2 to provide such documents or information and did not do so: " Compliance order " " 231.7
(1) On
summary application by the Minister, a judge may, notwithstanding subsection 238(2), order a person to provide any access, assistance, information or document sought by the Minister under
section 231.1 or 231.2 if the judge is satisfied that " " Ordonnance " " 231.7
(1) Sur demande
sommaire du ministre, un juge peut, malgré le paragraphe 238(2), ordonner à une personne de fournir l’accès, l’aide, les renseignements ou les documents que le ministre cherche à obtenir en vertu des articles 231.1 ou 231.2 s’il est convaincu de ce qui suit : " " (
a) the person was required under
section 231.1 or 231.2 to provide the access, assistance, information or document and did not do so; and " "
a) la personne n’a pas fourni l’accès, l’aide, les renseignements ou les documents bien qu’elle en soit tenue par les articles 231.1 ou 231.2; " " (
b) in the case of information or a document, the information or document is not protected from disclosure by solicitor-client privilege (within the meaning of subsection 232(1)). " "
b) s’agissant de renseignements ou de documents, le privilège des communications entre client et avocat, au sens du paragraphe 232(1), ne peut être invoqué à leur égard. " [ 34 ] Because of the serious consequences that can flow from non-compliance, Zeifmans contends this Court should not order the production of information or documents sought by the Minister unless the statutory conditions of
section 231.7 have been clearly met: Minister of National Revenue v Chamandy , 2014 FC 354 at para 41 [ Chamandy ]; Minister of National Revenue v SML Operations (Canada) Ltd , 2003 FC 868 at para 15 [ SML ]. Zeifmans submits the statutory conditions for a compliance order have not been met in this case. The partnership was not required under
section 231.2 of the ITA to provide the requested documents and information, and the Requirement is not valid. [ 35 ] Zeifmans’ principal argument in this regard is that the Minister was required to obtain prior judicial authorization under subsection 231.2(3) of the ITA , and she issued the Requirement without doing so. The Minister was required to obtain judicial authorization because the Requirement requested documents and information relating to one or more " “unnamed persons” " who were under audit by the CRA at the time. [ 36 ]
Section 231.2 of the ITA reads as follows:
" Requirement to provide documents or information " " Production de documents ou fourniture de renseignements " " 231.2
(1) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, the Minister may, subject to subsection (2), for any purpose related to the administration or enforcement of this Act (including the collection of any amount payable under this Act by any person), of a listed international agreement or, for greater certainty, of a tax treaty with another country, by notice served personally or by registered or certified mail, require that any person provide, within such reasonable time as is stipulated in the notice, " " 231.2 (1) " "
Malgré les autres dispositions de la présente loi, le ministre peut, sous réserve du paragraphe (2) et, pour l’application ou l’exécution de la présente loi (y compris la perception d’un montant payable par une personne en vertu de la présente loi), d’un accord international désigné ou d’un traité fiscal conclu avec un autre pays, par avis signifié à personne ou envoyé par courrier recommandé ou certifié, exiger d’une personne, dans le délai raisonnable que précise l’avis " " : " " (
a) any information or additional information, including a return of income or a supplementary return; or " " a) " " qu’elle fournisse tout renseignement ou tout renseignement supplémentaire, y compris une déclaration de revenu ou une déclaration supplémentaire; " " (
b) any document. " " b) " " qu’elle produise des documents. " " Unnamed persons " " Personnes non désignées nommément " "
(2) The Minister shall not impose on any person (in this
section referred to as a “third party”) a requirement under subsection 231.2(1) to provide information or any document relating to one or more unnamed persons unless the Minister first obtains the authorization of a judge under subsection 231.2(3) . " " (2) " " Le ministre ne peut exiger de quiconque — appelé « tiers » au présent
article — la fourniture de renseignements ou production de documents prévue au paragraphe (1) concernant une ou plusieurs personnes non désignées nommément, sans y être au préalable autorisé par un juge en vertu du paragraphe (3). " " Judicial authorization " " Autorisation judiciaire "
(3) A judge of the Federal Court may, on application by the Minister and subject to any conditions that the judge considers appropriate, authorize the Minister to impose on a third party a requirement under subsection (1) relating to an unnamed person or more than one unnamed person (in this
section referred to as the “group”) if the judge is satisfied by information on oath that " "
(3) Sur requête du ministre, un juge de la Cour fédérale peut, aux conditions qu’il estime indiquées, autoriser le ministre à exiger d’un tiers la fourniture de renseignements ou la production de documents prévues au paragraphe (1) concernant une personne non désignée nommément ou plus d’une personne non désignée nommément — appelée « groupe » au présent
article —, s’il est convaincu, sur dénonciation sous serment, de ce qui suit : " " " (
a) the person or group is ascertainable; and " " a) " " cette personne ou ce groupe est identifiable; " " (
b) the requirement is made to verify compliance by the person or persons in the group with any duty or obligation under this Act. " " b) " " la fourniture ou la production est exigée pour vérifier si cette personne ou les personnes de ce groupe ont respecté quelque devoir ou obligation prévu par la présente loi; " " (
c) and (d) [Repealed, 1996, c. 21, s. 58(1)] " " c) " " et d) [Abrogés, 1996, ch. 21, art. 58(1)] " [ 37 ] Zeifmans presents two additional reasons why the conditions of
section 231.7 have not been met: (
i) parts of the Requirement are vague and ambiguous such that they are incapable of meaningful reply without speculation, and (ii) the Requirement was issued to a limited liability partnership, which is not a " “person” " for the purposes of the ITA , and the evidence does not establish that the persons who were obligated to respond to the Requirement are the same persons who would be sanctioned under a compliance order. [ 38 ] Even if the statutory conditions have been met, Zeifmans submits that the judicial discretion afforded by
section 231.7(1)—which states a judge " “may” " order a person to provide information or documents sought by the Minister under
section 231.2 —should be exercised against ordering Zeifmans to comply with the Requirement or any part thereof. Zeifmans’ reasons include: the conditions of
section 231.7 have not been clearly met; Zeifmans is not itself under audit; Zeifmans must navigate obligations to the Minister as well as concurrent professional obligations to its clients and to the regulatory bodies that govern accountants’ conduct, and it would be unfair to impose an obligation on Zeifmans to decide, based on the vague and ambiguous wording of the Requirement, which of the Minister’s requests for documents and information are valid and which requests are not valid. D. Issue 1: Are Zeifmans’ arguments barred by the doctrines of collateral attack or
abuse of process? [39] The Minister contends that this Court should not entertain Zeifmans’ "“substantive”" arguments that the statutory conditions for asection 231.7 compliance order have not been met. The Minister distinguishes Zeifmans’ substantive arguments from its"“discretionary”" arguments, which are premised on the exercise of judicial discretion. [40] The Minister states Zeifmans made the following arguments challenging the validity of the Requirement in Zeifmans FC: (
i) theMinister was required to seek judicial authorization to issue the Requirement under subsection 231.2(2) of the ITA because theRequirement sought information about unnamed persons; (ii) the Requirement is ambiguous because "“entities owned, operated,controlled or otherwise connected to”" Mr. Ghermezian, Ms. Vaturi and Mr. Vaturi are not defined terms, and it is unclear what is meantby the references to such entities; (iii) the Requirement was not issued to a person as required by
section 231.2, because a partnership isnot recognized as a person under the ITA. Zeifmans’ arguments were dismissed by this Court in Zeifmans FC, and by the Federal Courtof Appeal (FCA) in Zeifmans FCA. According to the Minister, Zeifmans’ substantive arguments in this proceeding are not merely closeto, or related to, the arguments it made in Zeifmans FC—they are identical. [41] Thus, the Minister submits Zeifmans had an opportunity to challenge the Requirement, the challenge was unsuccessful, andZeifmans is now attempting to mount an impermissible collateral attack on the Requirement in these proceedings.
For similar reasons,the Minister submits Zeifmans is attempting to relitigate the same issues that were decided in Zeifmans FC and Zeifmans FCA, whichconstitutes an abuse of the Court’s process.
(1) Collateral Attack [42] The doctrine of collateral attack prevents a party from undermining previous orders issued by a court or administrative tribunal:Garland v Consumers’ Gas Co, 2004 SCC 25 at para 71.
The doctrine is generally invoked where a party attempts to challenge thevalidity of a binding order in the wrong forum, in the sense that the validity of the order comes into question in separate proceedingswhen the party has not used the direct attack procedures that were open to it, such as an appeal or judicial review: Ibid. [43] The Minister submits that Zeifmans’ substantive arguments strike at the core of the Requirement’s validity, and constitute acollateral attack on the Requirement. According to the Minister, the attack is collateral because the object of a
section 231.7 applicationis to provide a means to enforce compliance. While the text of subsection 231.7(1) puts the question of whether Zeifmans was "“requiredunder
section 231.1 or 231.2 to provide the access, assistance, information or document and did not do so”" before the Court, it is not aspecific object of the proceeding to reverse, vary or nullify the Requirement: R v Bird, 2019 SCC 7 at para 21 [Bird].
The proceedingwith the specific object of reversing, varying or nullifying the Requirement was Zeifmans’ application for judicial review. [44] Relying on the Supreme Court of Canada’s (SCC) decision in R v Consolidated Maybrun Mines Ltd, (SCC),[1998] 1 SCR 706 [Maybrun], the Minister submits that Zeifmans’ collateral attack on the Requirement is an impermissible one.Maybrun identifies five factors that may be considered in order to determine whether Parliament intended to permit collateral attacks onan administrative order in the context of proceedings to enforce the order: i. the wording of the statute from which the power to issue the order derives; ii. the purpose of the legislation; iii. the availability of an appeal; iv. the nature of the collateral attack in light of the appeal tribunal’s expertise or raison d’être; and v. the penalty on a conviction for failing to comply with the order. (Maybrun at paragraphs 41-52) [45] In Bird, the SCC recognized that the third Maybrun factor permits a court to consider not only a right of appeal to an administrativeappeal tribunal, but also whether there are other effective mechanisms or forums for challenging the order at issue, including judicialreview: Bird at paras 44, 49.
Similarly, the fourth factor permits a court to consider the nature of the collateral attack in light of theexpertise or raison d’être of other mechanisms or forums for challenging the order: Bird at para 75. [46] The Minister argues that all five Maybrun factors, as refined in Bird, support a conclusion that it was not Parliament’s intention topermit a respondent to collaterally attack a
section 231.2 requirement in the context of a
section 231.7 compliance application. TheMinister states that the third and fourth Maybrun factors are the most salient factors in this case, because judicial review provided aneffective, alternative mechanism for Zeifmans to challenge the validity of the Requirement. [47] The Minister submits Zeifmans’ position in this proceeding mirrors the position that was advanced by the respondent and rejectedby the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal (SKCA) in Mitchell v Candle Lake (Resort Village), 2021 SKCA 44 [Mitchell]. Mr.
Mitchell, whohad commenced construction without a building permit, failed to comply with a stop work order issued by the village pursuant to section17 of the Uniform Building and Accessibility Standards Act, SS 1983-84, c U-1.2 [UBASA]. The village applied to the court for acompliance order under
section 23 of the UBASA, and in the context of that proceeding, Mr. Mitchell argued that the court was notempowered to grant a compliance order because the underlying
section 17 stop work order was invalid. The chambers judge disagreed,finding that, absent any appeal of the stop work order, it remained in effect. The chambers judge issued an order under
section 23 of theUBASA that required Mr. Mitchell to comply with the
section 17 stop work order. The SKCA dismissed Mr. Mitchell’s appeal, findingthat the chambers judge did not err by refusing to allow him to collaterally attack the stop work order in the compliance proceeding. [48] The Minister states it was implicit in the SKCA’s decision that a compliance application under
section 23 of the UBASA is not aproceeding "“with the specific object of reversing, varying or nullifying the underlying order”". The Minister argues the same can be
said for a compliance application under
section 231.7 of the ITA . The object of this compliance proceeding is not to reverse, vary or nullify the Requirement, and therefore, Zeifmans’ attack on the Requirement is a collateral attack. [ 49 ] Zeifmans submits the Minister’s position is contrary to the language of
section 231.7 and established jurisprudence, including SML and Chamandy , that the sanctions of
section 231.7 may only be imposed if the statutory conditions of that
section have been clearly met. Zeifmans notes that the effect of the Minister’s position would be to bar any respondent to a
section 231.7 application from raising so- called substantive defences, whether or not they had previously challenged the underlying
section 231.1 or 231.2 request on judicial review. [ 50 ] In my view, Zeifmans’ position on this application is not a collateral attack on the Requirement. While I accept that it is not a specific object of this proceeding to reverse, vary or nullify the Requirement (and Zeifmans does not ask for such relief), it is a specific object of compliance proceedings to determine whether the
section 231.7 conditions are met. It is the judge hearing the compliance application who must be satisfied that the
section 231.7 conditions are met, and consequently, there is no alternative forum to decide the issue. [ 51 ] Zeifmans asks the Court to dismiss the Minister’s application because the
section 231.7 conditions have not been met. Zeifmans’ arguments are made in the proper forum. They are not " “collateral” " . [ 52 ] I disagree with the Minister that Zeifmans’ position mirrors Mr. Mitchell’s position in Mitchell . [ 53 ] The SKCA explained Mr. Mitchell’s argument on appeal in this way ( Mitchell at paragraph 28 ): Placed in an appellate context, I understand Mr.
Mitchell to argue that in considering whether to grant a s. 23 order, the Chambers judge was obliged to examine the statutory prerequisites for its issuance, which, he submits, included an examination of the validity of the underlying order. As the argument goes, had the Chambers judge approached the Village’s application in this manner, he would have found himself without authority to make an order under s. 23 . For this reason, Mr. Mitchell says the Chambers Decision cannot stand and must be set aside. [ 54 ] The SKCA reviewed the leading cases on collateral attack, including Maybrun , noting that Mr.
Mitchell was seeking to challenge the underlying administrative order in a compliance proceeding, rather than a penal proceeding: Mitchell at para 41 . The SKCA outlined reasons why the doctrine of collateral attack should extend to circumstances where a party ignores a regulatory appeal process and then seeks to challenge an administrative order in subsequent compliance proceedings: Mitchell at para 48 . [ 55 ] With that, the SKCA went on to consider the Maybrun framework of analysis in order to determine what the Legislature intended to be the appropriate forum for Mr.
Mitchell to challenge the stop work order issued under
section 17 the UBASA : Mitchell at paras 46-79 . The SKCA found that most Maybrun factors weighed in favour of a conclusion that the Legislature did not intend for a person to be able to collaterally attack the validity of a
section 17 stop work order in the context of subsequent
section 23 proceedings. [ 56 ] While the SKCA in Mitchell applied the doctrine of collateral attack to a compliance proceeding, I agree with Zeifmans that there are material differences between the UBASA provisions that were at issue in Mitchell and
section 231.7 of the ITA . A key difference is that
section 231.7 of the ITA expressly obliges the hearing judge to examine the underlying
section 231.1 or 231.2 request. The fact that, in the Minister’s words, " “the text of ss. 231.7(1) puts the question of whether Zeifmans was ‘required under
section 231.1 or 231.2 to provide the access, assistance, information or document and did not do so’ before the Court” " , demonstrates that Zeifmans’ arguments are made in the appropriate forum, and not collaterally. [ 57 ] As the FCA stated in Miller v Canada (Minister of National Revenue) , 2022 FCA 183 [ Miller ], the Minister must satisfy the Court of three " “conditions precedent” " before the Court may issue a
section 231.7 compliance order: (
i) the person against whom the order is made must have been required under
section 231.1 or 231.2 of the ITA to provide the access, assistance, information or document that is the subject of the order; (ii) that person must have failed to provide the access, assistance, information or document in question; and (iii) in the case of information or a document, it must not be subject to solicitor-client privilege: Miller at paras 19, 25-27 ; ITA , ss 231.7(1)(a)- (b); also see Lee at para 6 . [ 58 ] Thus, the statutory conditions of
section 231.7 require the Court to determine whether the Minister had the authority to issue the underlying Requirement (for example, see Miller at paragraph 60 ), and they constrain the Court’s authority to issue a compliance order (for example, see Miller at paragraph 79 ). The collateral attack cases the Minister relies on did not invoke the doctrine in similar circumstances, to bar arguments about whether statutory conditions for issuing an enforcement order have been met. [ 59 ] Zeifmans adds that the Minister has not put forward a
section 231.7 case where the doctrine of collateral attack was invoked. The Minister counters that the question is whether the doctrine applies, not whether it has been argued before. While that may be true, Zeifmans’ point remains noteworthy. The doctrine of collateral attack operates regardless of whether a party used the direct attack procedures that were open to it, yet the authorities the parties have put before me demonstrate that this Court regularly entertains responding arguments that the statutory requirements of
section 231.7 were not met. The FCA has also entertained such responding arguments in compliance application appeals. [ 60 ] Even in compliance proceedings where it was apparent that the responding parties had filed applications for judicial review to challenge the Minister’s
section 231.1 or 231.2 requests, the doctrine of collateral attack was not raised. Zeifmans notes that in Friedman v Canada (Minister of National Revenue) , 2021 FCA 101 [ Friedman ], the appeals from judicial review and compliance applications were heard and considered together, and described as " “discrete legal proceedings” " : Friedman at para 26 . I would add that in Canada (Minister of National Revenue) v Ghermezian , 2022 FC 236 [ Ghermezian Compliance ] the Court acknowledged that some of the respondents to the compliance proceeding had challenged the Minister’s requirements issued under
section 231.2 in judicial review proceedings, and yet the Court considered the arguments that the statutory conditions were not met. [ 61 ] While I have found that Zeifmans’ position on this application is not a collateral attack on the Requirement, the parties addressed the Maybrun factors at some length and I will address them for completeness. Applying the Maybrun framework leads to a similar
conclusion. [ 62 ] The Maybrun framework provides clues for discerning legislative intent with regard to the appropriate forum to challenge an administrative order: Mitchell at para 75 . In my view, all five factors favour a conclusion that Parliament’s intent was to permit an aggrieved person to challenge an underlying
section 231.1 or 231.2 request in a
section 231.7 compliance proceeding. Consequently, Zeifmans’ arguments are not an impermissible collateral attack on the Requirement. i. the wording of the statute from which the power to issue the order derives [ 63 ] The Minister submits that the wording of the ITA signals Parliament’s intention to require timely, up-front compliance, and not a need for the Minister to " “resort to criminal charges and sanctions to secure compliance” " : Bird at para 28 . The Minister notes that
section 231.2 of the ITA is situated within a broader suite of information-gathering provisions that facilitate unencumbered and immediate access to all books, records, and information of the taxpayer, and lie at the heart of the Minister’s ability to enforce taxation legislation: Canada (National Revenue) v Cameco Corporation , 2019 FCA 67 at para 27 ; Roofmart Ontario Inc v Canada (National Revenue) , 2020 FCA 85 at para 55 [ Roofmart ].
Subsection 231.2(1) confers broad and general powers on the Minister, and provides her with considerable discretion in determining to whom a requirement is issued and the specific information or documents that the recipient is required to produce. It operates notwithstanding any other provision of the ITA , and is subject only to subsection 231.2(2) . [ 64 ] Zeifmans submits the language of
section 231.7 expresses Parliament’s clear intention that the validity of an underlying
section 231.1 or 231.2 request is to be considered in a compliance application. This is unlike the compliance provision in Mitchell —
section 23 of the UBASA does not direct the judge to consider whether the respondent was required to comply with the underlying administrative order. Zeifmans submits the Minister’s position on this application leads to a " “circular absurdity” " —her decision to issue a requirement without prior judicial authorization avoids the judicial oversight of subsection 231.2(3) , while the doctrine of collateral attack circumscribes the arguments a judge may consider when deciding whether they are satisfied that a person was " “required under
section 231.1 or 231.2 to provide the access, assistance, information or documents” " because the Minister should have obtained prior judicial authorization. This cannot have been Parliament’s intention. [ 65 ] I agree with Zeifmans. The language of
section 231.7 specifically tasks the judge hearing the application with deciding whether the person against whom the compliance order will be made was required under
section 231.1 or 231.2 of the ITA to provide the access, assistance, information or document that is the subject of the order. None of the collateral attack cases the Minister relies on involved a regime that required the Court to consider the validity of the underlying administrative order or directive. Judicial review of a
section 231.1 or 231.2 request addresses a different question of whether the Minister’s decision was unreasonable. In each type of application, the judge’s decision is based on the record that is before them. The record in this proceeding, which includes the Minister’s supporting affidavits and the cross-examination testimony, is materially different from the record that was before the Court in Zeifmans FC . [ 66 ] It is also relevant that the ITA does not include a mechanism for an aggrieved party to challenge a
section 231.1 or 231.2 requirement. The Minister states Parliament is presumed to know that a right of judicial review exists. In my view, this argument does not assist the Minister. Knowing that a recipient can apply for judicial review of a
section 231.1 or 231.2 requirement, Parliament nonetheless imposed the conditions of
section 231.7(1)(a). This indicates Parliament did not intend for judicial review to be the sole forum for considering whether the Minister properly exercised her authority in issuing the Requirement. ii. the purpose of the legislation [ 67 ] The Minister submits that the purpose of the legislation militates against permitting a collateral attack on the Requirement. The ITA provides for a broad suite of enforcement mechanisms because it would be naïve to think that all taxpayers will properly self-report and pay the taxes they owe: Miller FCA at paras 6, 8 .
The Minister argues that the breadth of these powers reflect the importance Parliament has placed on ensuring compliance with the self-reporting taxation system. Permitting a " “breach first, challenge later” " approach would be contrary to this purpose, as it would undermine the administrative regime and compromise the Minister’s ability to administer and enforce the ITA on a timely basis.
Instead of placing responsibility on the individual recipient for complying with a requirement, permitting collateral attacks during compliance proceedings would have the effect of flipping that responsibility—in effect, compelling the Minister to act by bringing a compliance application—all while the recipient lies in wait, having breached the requirement. [ 68 ] Zeifmans acknowledges that the enforcement mechanisms in the ITA are broad, but submits that the express limits of the statutory provisions also reflect Parliament’s intentions.
I agree. [ 69 ] There is a considerable body of jurisprudence interpreting the
section 231.7 conditions in light of the purpose of the ITA . As noted above, a condition precedent for a compliance order is that the judge hearing the compliance application must be satisfied that the respondent was required under
section 231.1 or 231.2 of the ITA to provide the access, assistance, information or document that is the subject of the order: Miller at paras 19, 25-27 . As the FCA stated in Roofmart (at paragraph 20 ): [20] […] Where Parliament has specified precisely which conditions must be satisfied to achieve a particular result, it is reasonable to assume that Parliament intended that taxpayers and the Minister would rely on those conditions ( Canada Trustco Mortgage Co v Canada , 2005 SCC 54 , [2005] 2 SCR 601 at para 11 ). Additional conditions cannot be read into the legislation.
Nor can a supposed purpose “be used to create an unexpressed exception to clear language,” or to supplant clear language ( Placer Dome Canada Ltd. v. Ontario (Minister of Finance) , 2006 SCC 20 , [2006] 1 SCR 715 at para 23 ). [ 70 ] I fail to see how Zeifmans’ substantive arguments in this proceeding would have the effect of " “flipping” " responsibility to the Minister. The process for obtaining a compliance order is a process prescribed by Parliament.
The statutory conditions are imposed by Parliament. [ 71 ] Finally, I am not persuaded by the Minister’s arguments that permitting a respondent to challenge whether a statutory condition for a compliance order has been met undermines the administrative regime, or compromises the Minister’s ability to administer and enforce the ITA in a timely way. The Minister sets the deadline for responding to a
section 231.1 or 231.2 request. Parliament has provided for an
expeditious,
summary mechanism that allows the Minister’s compliance application to be heard within a very short time after commencing the proceeding—only five clear days’ notice is required: ITA , s 231.7(2). An appeal of a compliance order does not suspend its operation unless so ordered by a judge of the court to which the appeal is made: ITA , s 231.7(5). The
summary application process provided by
section 231.7 is more expeditious than an application for judicial review, and the Minister may commence a compliance proceeding while an application for judicial review is pending: Canada (Minister of National Revenue) v Friedman , 2019 FC 1583 . iii. the availability of an appeal [ 72 ] The Minister submits this factor, as refined in Bird , is an important Maybrun factor for the present application. Even though the ITA does not provide for a right to appeal a
section 231.1 or 231.2 request, judicial review provides an effective mechanism to challenge such a request. Judicial review appropriately balances the principles of (1) ensuring that the legislative decision to assign decision-making powers to administrative bodies is not undermined; and (2) ensuring that individuals have an effective means available to them to challenge administrative orders: Bird at para 26 . The Minister submits Parliament clearly turned its mind to the availability of judicial review, as
section 231.8 (
a) of the ITA extends the period of time within which the Minister may assess a taxpayer for a taxation year where the taxpayer brings an application for judicial review in respect of a
section 231.2 requirement. The only reasonable inference, according to the Minister, is that Parliament was alive to the possibility of judicial review when it enacted sections 231.2 and 231.7 and intended that recipients of
section 231.2 requirements would challenge them through the mechanism of judicial review. Zeifmans had a fair and meaningful opportunity to challenge the Requirement in proceedings specifically for that purpose, and Parliament cannot have intended to allow Zeifmans to have " “a second bite at the same cherry” " . [ 73 ] Zeifmans submits that
section 231.8 (
a) of the ITA is a legacy provision, left over from when the process for obtaining judicial authorization under subsection 231.2(3) was by way of ex parte application, with a right for the recipient of the requirement to seek review of the judge’s authorization order. [ 74 ] While Zeifmans’ argument would explain why
section 231.8 (
a) is not triggered when a recipient judicially reviews a
section 231.1 request, the more important point, in my view, is that Parliament, despite being alive to the possibility of judicial review, imposed a condition that the judge who hears a compliance application must be satisfied the recipient was " “required under
section 231.1 or 231.2 to provide the access, assistance, information or documents” " . Judicial review does not address that issue. The language of
section 231.8 does not override Parliament’s clear words in
section 231.7 . [ 75 ] Zeifmans also points out, and I agree, that the absence of an appeal mechanism presents a significant point of distinction between this case and Mitchell . The SKCA considered the UBASA appeal process to be " “robust” " , providing an express, expeditious means to challenge a
section 17 order before a specialized appeal board equipped to perform its adjudicative function and render a decision within 30 days, and providing further recourse to the Court of Queen’s Bench on questions of law. The SKCA found that allowing Mr. Mitchell to attack the validity of a
section 17 order in the context of enforcement proceedings would " “undermine the integrity of the administrative system and allow him to circumvent the appropriate review mechanisms put in place by the Legislature” " : Mitchell at para 77 . [ 76 ] I would add that in Bird , the SCC outlined three different mechanisms that Mr.
Bird had available to him to challenge the underlying administrative order, and decided that two of them together—the mechanism of writing to the Parole Board, with the possibility of a habeas corpus application before a provincial superior court—constituted an effective means to challenge the order. The SCC " “could not say with certainty” " whether the third mechanism of judicial review before the Federal Court would have provided an effective means to challenge the administrative order, primarily because judicial review may not have provided timely and accessible relief: Bird at paras 59, 72 .
While the delay of judicial review to challenge a
section 231.1 or 231.2 request does not engage the same liberty interests that were at stake in Bird , I would note that Zeifmans filed its notice of application for judicial review on March 1, 2019 ( Zeifmans FC at paragraph 7 ) and the hearing was more than in 18 months later. In comparison, the Minister’s notice of application for a compliance order was filed October 26, 2022 and heard December 6, 2022, even with an adjournment to facilitate the scheduling of cross- examinations. Despite a more comprehensive evidentiary record than the record on judicial review (a point to which I will return), this matter was heard in less than 6 weeks. [ 77 ] In
summary, this factor also supports a conclusion that a
section 231.7 compliance proceeding is an appropriate forum for determining whether Zeifmans was required under
section 231.2 to provide the information and documents requested in the Requirement. iv. the nature of the collateral attack in light of the appeal tribunal’s expertise or raison d’être [ 78 ] As noted above, this factor as refined in Bird permits a court to consider the nature of the collateral attack in light of the expertise or raison d’être of other mechanisms or forums for challenging the order: Bird at para 75 . [ 79 ] The Minister submits that the nature of Zeifmans’ attack on the Requirement is the type of challenge Parliament tasked the Federal Court with addressing by way of judicial review, and it is within the Federal Court’s judicial review expertise. A
summary application under subsection 231.7(1) of the ITA is less suitable to decide substantive challenges to the Requirement’s validity.
Summary applications are heard within tight timelines, and since the responding record is filed after the Minister has filed a record and cross- examinations have taken place, the Minister is in the procedurally unfair position of having to guess at the respondent’s position.
The Minister states Parliament cannot have intended a fundamentally unfair process that would allow respondents to " “lie in wait, armed with a number of challenges to the validity of the requirement, only to reveal them after the Minister has served and filed her affidavit(s), written representations, and after cross-examinations have been concluded” " . [ 80 ] In my view, the Federal Court’s expertise is a neutral consideration. A judge of the Federal Court has the expertise and statutory authority to decide both judicial review and compliance proceedings.
The Court’s role in each type of proceeding is a more relevant consideration for discerning legislative intention, as are procedural differences and questions of fairness. These factors favour Zeifmans’
position. [ 81 ] In Zeifmans FC , the Court’s role was to conduct a reasonableness review of the Minister’s decision to issue the Requirement. In the absence of formal reasons explaining the Minister’s decision, the Court was required to consider whether it could discern from the record that the Minister was alive to the key issues, including issues of legislative
interpretation, and reached a reasonable decision on them: Zeifmans FCA at paras 10-11 . [ 82 ] The Court has a different role in a 231.7 proceeding, and Zeifmans substantive arguments are directly relevant to the issues the Court must decide. It would make little sense for Parliament to task the Court with deciding whether the
section 231.7 conditions are met, based on a record that includes the Minister’s supporting affidavits and evidence elicited by Zeifmans’ cross-examinations, and restrict the arguments Zeifmans may raise based on that evidence. [ 83 ] I am not persuaded that the shorter timelines of compliance proceedings make them less suitable for deciding substantive challenges to the Requirement’s validity. For the reasons discussed above, the expeditious and
summary procedure for
section 231.7 compliance applications is procedurally advantageous to the Minister. Despite shorter timelines, the record before me is more comprehensive than the record that was before the Court in Zeifmans FC , which consisted of a 15-page CTR (the most relevant part of which was the 9-page Information Sheet), and an affidavit of one of Zeifmans’ partners; the Minister did not file affidavit evidence in support of her position: Zeifmans FC at para 8 . [ 84 ] A
summary application by the Minister is the procedure that Parliament prescribed for obtaining a compliance order. The Minister decides the scope of a request under
section 231.1 or 231.2, the scope of the order sought in the
section 231.7 compliance application, and the evidence she will file to support the application. I fail to see any unfairness from following the usual sequence that an applicant files their evidence and record first, particularly in this case, where the Minister might have anticipated some of Zeifmans’ arguments and could have tailored her evidence accordingly. v. the penalty on a conviction for failing to comply with the order [ 85 ] The Minister submits that this factor militates against permitting a collateral attack.
The Minister states Zeifmans faces no penal jeopardy at this point in the proceedings, because a compliance order would only require Zeifmans to comply with the Requirement. Any consequences for failing to obey the compliance order, such as incarceration and fines, are too remote to be relevant. [ 86 ] There is no merit to the Minister’s argument. I agree with Zeifmans that serious consequences flow from a failure to obey a compliance order. The penalty is contempt: ITA , s 231.7(4).
Section 231.7 operates notwithstanding the penalty provisions under
section 238 for failing to comply with a request or requirement under
section 231.1 or 231.2 of the ITA , and imposes more serious consequences. Those serious consequences are the very reason for bringing a
section 231.7 application. [ 87 ] For these reasons, I am not persuaded that the Maybrun factors signal Parliament’s intent to confine Zeifmans’ arguments to the forum of judicial review. Zeifmans’ arguments address statutory conditions that are part of the
section 231.7 process Parliament prescribed, and Zeifmans’ position on this application is not an impermissible collateral attack on the Requirement.
(2) Abuse of Process [ 88 ] The doctrine of abuse of process has been applied to preclude relitigation in circumstances where the strict requirements of issue estoppel or res judicata are not met, but allowing the litigation to proceed would violate principles of judicial economy, consistency, finality and the integrity of the administration of justice: Toronto (City) v CUPE, Local 79 , 2003 SCC 63 at paras 37 , 42 [ CUPE ].
The Minister submits Zeifmans’ substantive arguments are an attempt to relitigate issues that were decided in Zeifmans FC and Zeifmans FCA , and an abuse of the Court’s process. [ 89 ] The Minister submits that CUPE identifies three underlying bases for applying abuse of process to preserve the integrity of the adjudicative process: CUPE at para 51. First, there can be no assumption that relitigation will yield a more accurate result than the original proceeding.
Second, if the same result is reached in the subsequent proceeding, the relitigation will prove to have been a waste of judicial resources as well as an unnecessary expense for the parties and possibly an additional hardship for some witnesses. Third, if the result in the subsequent proceeding is different from the conclusion reached in the first on the very same issue, the inconsistency, in and of itself, will undermine the credibility of the entire judicial process, thereby diminishing its authority, its credibility and its aim of finality.
According to the Minister, allowing Zeifmans’ to make the same arguments that were rejected in Zeifmans FC and on appeal would violate principles of judicial economy, consistency, finality and the integrity of the administration of justice: CUPE at para 51. [ 90 ] In Zeifmans FCA , the FCA found the Minister’s implicit
interpretation of
section 231.2 to be " “consistent at a conceptual level with much authority” " , including Canada (Customs and Revenue Agency) v Artistic Ideas Inc , 2005 FCA 68 [ Artistic Ideas FCA ] and eBay Canada Ltd v MNR , 2008 FCA 348 [ eBay ]. The Minister states Zeifmans is attempting to revive an
interpretation of
section 231.2 from Canada (MNR) v Toronto Dominion Bank , 2004 FCA 359 [ TD Bank FCA ], notwithstanding the finding in Zeifmans FCA that TD Bank FCA is inconsistent with binding authority, and ought not to be followed: Zeifmans FCA at paras 5-6 . The Minister contends the judicial
interpretation of
section 231.2 in Zeifmans FC and Zeifmans FCA was more than a " “reasonableness review” " , and permitting Zeifmans to relitigate this point would undermine the core function of the FCA to provide consistency in the law. It would undermine the credibility of the judicial process if this Court were to adopt an
interpretation of
section 231.2 that is inconsistent with Zeifmans FCA , a proceeding that involved the same parties and the same facts. [ 91 ] The Minister submits there is no new evidence that warrants a departure from the previous conclusion in Zeifmans FC and Zeifmans FCA that the Requirement was not unduly vague, a conclusion the Minister contends was closer to a factual determination than a reasonableness determination.
While the Minister filed new evidence on this application, Zeifmans’ argument relates to whether it could respond to the Requirement, and it has not filed any new evidence. [ 92 ] The Minister states Zeifmans’ argument that the Requirement was not served on a person relitigates a point of law decided against
it. In Zeifmans FC , the Court concluded the Requirement was effectively addressed to each individual partner of the accounting partnership by virtue of subsection 244(20) of the ITA . The FCA considered service on Zeifmans LLP to be valid and effective. [ 93 ] I disagree with the Minister that Zeifmans’ arguments are an abuse of the Court’s process. [ 94 ] In Zeifmans FC , the Federal Court was conducting a reasonableness review of the Minister’s decision to issue the Requirement without prior judicial authorization.
The FCA confirmed this was the correct approach ( Zeifmans FCA at para 2 ): [2] The Federal Court conducted reasonableness review of the Minister’s decision to issue the requirement. This was proper. Reasonableness is the presumptive standard of review: Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) v Vavilov , 2019 SCC 65 , [2019] 4 SCR 653.
And, contrary to the submissions of the accounting firm, there is nothing here to rebut that presumption: this is not the sort of rare case described in Vavilov where the governing legislation offers indicia telling us that we should review for correctness. [ 95 ] The Minister’s
interpretation of
section 231.2 of the ITA and how she applied that
interpretation to the facts of the case do not bind the Court, even if reasonable. To the extent that the Minister’s implied
interpretation of
section 231.2 and application to the facts are consistent with binding authorities, it is those authorities that I must follow. [ 96 ] In Zeifmans FC the Court reviewed the reasonableness of the Minister’s decision based on the record before it, which was essentially the 9-page Information Sheet. Some key findings were: (
i) where there is no evidence that unnamed persons themselves are subject to audit or investigation by the CRA to verify their compliance with the ITA , there is no reason for the Minister to proceed under subsection 231.2(2) —the Minister is entitled to require the third party to provide the information requested if the unnamed persons are not subject to audit ( Zeifmans FC at paragraphs 45, 47 ); (ii) the reasonableness of the Minister’s decision to proceed without judicial authorization in each case depends on whether the evidence in the record establishes that unnamed persons are under investigation or audit by the CRA ( Zeifmans FC at paragraph 49 ); (iii) there was no evidence in the record before the Court that the Unnamed Persons (defined as entities owned, operated, controlled or otherwise connected to Mr.
Ghermezian, Ms. Vaturi and Mr. Vaturi) were an investigation target, and no evidence in the Information Sheet that the Requirement was for any purpose other than to further the ongoing audit of Mr.
Ghermezian and the Vaturis ( Zeifmans FC at paragraphs 24, 64, 67 ). [ 97 ] The Court’s factual finding that the Unnamed Persons were not subject to audit or investigation was afforded deference on appeal ( Zeifmans FCA at paragraph 7 ): [7] As for the Federal Court’s finding of fact that the Canada Revenue Agency had not targeted the unnamed entities for investigation, only an error of law or palpable and overriding error can cause us to displace it. The Federal Court had evidence before it on which it made its finding of fact and it made no legal error.
Thus, the Federal Court’s finding of fact must stand in this Court: the unnamed entities were not investigative targets. [ 98 ] The approach on this application is not reasonableness review. Moreover, the issues will not be decided " “on the same facts” " , as the Minister contends.
The FCA stated, at paragraph 4 of Zeifmans FCA , " “On the facts here, the Federal Court found that “[t]here is no evidence in the record that [ascertainable unnamed persons] are a current investigation target” (at para. 64) and so the Minister’s decision to issue the requirement without prior judicial authorization was reasonable.” " As will be discussed below, there is evidence in the record before me that " “entities owned, operated, controlled or otherwise connected to” " Mr.
Ghermezian or the Vaturis were under audit when the Minister issued the Requirement. [ 99 ] Zeifmans’ second argument, regarding vagueness/ambiguity, is also affected by the nature of a judicial review and the evidentiary record that was before the Court in Zeifmans FC . [ 100 ] In Zeifmans FC , Zeifmans argued that the requests for information and documents in the Requirement are so broad that they have no apparent connection to the CRA’s audit of Mr. Ghermezian, Ms. Vaturi and Mr.
Vaturi, and it was not possible to conclude that the Minister reasonably exercised her power to obtain information within the scope of her authority, for a purpose related to the administration and enforcement of the ITA : Zeifmans FC at para 74 . Zeifmans also argued that the Requirement did not clearly define " “entities owned, operated, controlled or otherwise connected to” " the three individuals. The Court addressed these arguments using a reasonableness review framework.
The Court found there was no evidence in the record that the Requirement was issued for any purpose other than in furtherance of the audit of the three individual taxpayers, and made findings that were based on the Information Sheet.
Zeifmans’ description of various paragraphs of the Requirement as being too broad or unduly vague were insufficient to undermine the stated purpose of the Requirement, the audit context provided in the Information Sheet and the reasons given for requiring the information and documents listed in the Requirement: Zeifmans FC at para 76 . [ 101 ] On this application, there is more than the Information Sheet. The record includes Mr.
Bowe’s affidavit and cross-examination testimony, and the Court must analyze Zeifmans’ arguments in that context and in view of the requirements of 231.7 of the ITA . [ 102 ] On the question of whether the Requirement was issued for a purpose other than furthering the audits of Mr. Ghermezian and the Vaturis, Mr.
Bowe’s evidence is that: he was the lead case manager for the Ghermezian Group audits that were underway at the time the Requirement issued; his defined term " “Audits” " includes the audits of Nader Ghermezian, Diana Vaturi and Marc Vaturi, as well as audits of " “entities owned, operated, controlled or otherwise connected to” " them; the Requirement was issued as part of the Audits and to verify Mr. Ghermezian’s and the Vaturis’ compliance with the ITA ; the CRA directorate from which the Audits derived (the International and Large Business Directorate) was more focused on corporate entities;
many economically connected entities were under audit by the CRA at the time the Requirement issued, including offshore entities; a purpose of the audits of connected entities was to verify whether the entities were complying with their obligations under the ITA ; the information requested in the Requirement could be relevant to the audits of the connected entities, and the CRA may use the information for the audits. [ 103 ] Zeifmans’ third argument, regarding whether a partnership is a person, is not identical to the argument Zeifmans raised on judicial review.
Different considerations apply in an enforcement proceeding. In Zeifmans FC , the Court found that the Minister acted reasonably in issuing the Requirement to the partnership, Zeifmans LLP. However, the Court specifically noted that any concerns regarding enforcement would be addressed in a compliance proceeding: Zeifmans FC at para 73 . [ 104 ] I agree with Zeifmans that none of the three, underlying bases for applying the doctrine of abuse of process favours the Minister’s position. First, the evidentiary records in the two proceedings are different.
Applying the outcome on judicial review to the question the Court must decide in this application would yield an inaccurate result. Second, if the Court were to reach a result that is similar to the result on judicial review, the proceeding would not be a waste of judicial resources because a compliance order may issue. Third, reaching a result that differs from the result on judicial review would not undermine the credibility of the judicial process or the aim of finality. The difference can be explained. On this application, the Court is not deciding whether to set aside the Requirement.
The process Parliament prescribed for obtaining a compliance order requires me to decide if the
section 231.7 criteria are met. If I am not satisfied on this record that a compliance order should be granted, it does not call the decisions in Zeifmans FC or Zeifmans FCA into question. [ 105 ] On top of that, the Minister never volunteered that " “entities owned, operated, controlled or otherwise connected to” " Mr. Ghermezian or the Vaturis were under audit when she issued the Requirement. The Minister did not file affidavit evidence in the judicial review proceeding, and in this proceeding the evidence about these other audits was revealed in cross-examination.
Faced with contrary evidence on a factual premise for the findings in Zeifmans FC and Zeifmans FCA , I agree with Zeifmans that precluding it from raising substantive arguments would undermine the integrity of the adjudicative process. [ 106 ] In conclusion, it is not an abuse of process to permit Zeifmans to raise substantive arguments that address the issues the Court must decide on this application. E. Issue 2: Should the Court grant a compliance order under
section 231.7 of the ITA , compelling Zeifmans to provide the documents and information in the Requirement? [ 107 ] The parties agree that, before granting an order that would compel Zeifmans to provide documents or information in the Requirement, this Court must be satisfied that: a. Zeifmans was required under
section 231.2 of the ITA to provide the documents or information; b. Zeifmans did not provide the documents or information; and c. the documents or information are not protected from disclosure by solicitor-client privilege (within the meaning of subsection 232(1) of the ITA ). [ 108 ] The first point is the determinative point on Issue 2, namely, whether Zeifmans was required under
section 231.2 of the ITA to provide the documents and information in the Requirement. [ 109 ] As noted above, subsection 231.2(1) permits the Minister to require any person to provide any document or information for any purpose related to the administration or enforcement of the ITA , subject to subsection 231.2(2) . The Minister " “shall not impose on any person (…referred to as a ‘third party’)” " , a requirement under subsection 231.2(1) to provide documents or information relating to one or more unnamed persons, unless the Minister first obtains the authorization of a judge under subsection 231.2(3) : ITA , ss 231.1(2). [ 110 ] The Minister submits she has satisfied the
section 231.7 conditions for the documents and information sought by the Requirement. The Requirement was made under subsection 231.2(1) for purposes related to the administration or enforcement of the ITA , namely, to verify whether Nader Ghermezian, Diana Vaturi and Marc Vaturi complied with their duties and obligations under the ITA for the period January 1, 2012 to December 31, 2017, including whether they complied with foreign reporting obligations and reported their income from all worldwide sources.
The subsection 231.2(2) limitation did not apply. [ 111 ] The Minister and Zeifmans disagree on the conditions that would trigger the subsection 231.2(2) requirement to obtain judicial authorization. The Minister’s position would confine judicial authorization to circumstances where the Minister seeks information from a third party about persons who are unknown to the Minister, for the purpose of primarily auditing those unknown persons. Zeifmans argues that the statutory limits of the Minister’s authority under
section 231.2 relate to unnamed persons—there is no " “unknown persons” " provision in the ITA . [ 112 ] Zeifmans submits that in Canada (Minister of National Revenue) v Toronto Dominion Bank , 2004 FC 169 [ TD Bank FC ], a decision upheld in TD Bank FCA , the Court refused to issue a compliance order under
section 231.7 where the formalities of
section 231.2 of the ITA were not met. Zeifmans states that, like TD Bank FC , on this application the Minister seeks a compliance order against a third party record holder who is not under audit. Unlike TD Bank FC , the Requirement seeks extensive documents and information in relation to unnamed persons, and the Minister was actively auditing unnamed persons when she issued the Requirement. Consequently, there is even more reason for concern with the lack of judicial authorization in this case.
[ 113 ] In TD Bank FCA , the FCA held that the Minister must obtain judicial authorization before issuing any
section 231.2 requirement for information or documents relating to unnamed persons, whether or not they are under audit. Zeifmans argues that subsection 231.2(2) is clear and unqualified, and urges the Court not to disregard the literal meaning of the provision: TD Bank FC at paras 27-29, 34 , aff’d by TD Bank FCA ; Canada Trustco Mortgage Co v R , 2005 SCC 54 at paras 10-13 .
Zeifmans submits that while the FCA stated in Zeifmans FCA that TD Bank FCA ought not to be followed to the extent it is inconsistent with Artistic Ideas FCA , the FCA did not overturn TD Bank FCA . [ 114 ] In any event, Zeifmans states that in Artistic Ideas FCA —a case where the third party recipient was itself under audit, and the information the Minister sought about unnamed parties was limited to their names—the Minister was required to obtain judicial authorization before imposing a requirement on a third party to provide documents or information relating to unnamed persons the Minister wished to investigate.
Zeifmans contends that even under the arguably lower Artistic Ideas FCA threshold, the Minister should have obtained judicial authorization prior to issuing the Requirement, because unnamed persons referenced in the Requirement were under investigation by the CRA at the time. These are precisely the unnamed persons to whom subsections 231.2(2) and (3) of the ITA apply: Artistic Ideas FCA at para 10 . [ 115 ] Zeifmans submits Mr.
Bowe’s affidavit and cross-examination testimony, the Information Sheet, and the Requirement’s extensive requests for substantive information and documents directed at unnamed persons provide abundant evidence that unnamed persons were under active investigation when the Requirement issued, that the Requirement was issued as part of the audits of unnamed persons, and that the CRA could use the information and documents for such audits.
If the Minister was not required to obtain prior judicial authorization to issue the Requirement for documents and information of unnamed persons who were being audited, Zeifmans submits it is hard to imagine when the protection of subsection 231.2(2) would be triggered. [ 116 ] The Minister’s answer to Zeifmans’ argument seems to rest on two, overlapping premises. The first relates to the definition of unnamed persons, which the Minister seems to define so as to exclude persons who are known to the Minister.
The second relates to the purpose of the Requirement. [ 117 ] The Minister contends the FCA confirmed in Zeifmans FCA that judicial authorization under subsections 231.2(2) and (3) is only required where the Minister seeks information about unknown persons for the purpose of primarily auditing those unknown persons. The Minister states that judicial authorization is not required where she (
i) is conducting an audit of named or known persons; (ii) requests that the person(
s) under audit or a third party provide information about the person(
s) under audit; and (iii) requests information that may include information concerning unnamed or unknown persons that is relevant to the determination of the tax liability of known persons. The Minister relies on the following citations in support: Zeifmans FCA at paras 4-6 ; Artistic Ideas FCA at paras 8, 10-11 ; eBay at para 23 ; Redeemer Foundation v Canada (National Revenue) , 2008 SCC 46 at paras 19-22 [ Redeemer Foundation ]; Ghermezian JR at paras 39-41; Ghermezian Compliance at paras 258-259 .
As I will explain below, the cited paragraphs do not, in my view, stand for the principles the Minister asserts. [ 118 ] According to the Minister, Zeifmans relies heavily on TD Bank FCA to dispute the above principles, a case that has been overruled and is no longer good law: Zeifmans FCA at paras 5-6 . The Minister also states TD Bank FCA has been overtaken by Redeemer Foundation , which confirms that judicial authorization is not required when the Minister is auditing named taxpayers, even if the information, once obtained, woul