DAVID LESSARD-GAUVIN Applicant v. ATTORNEY GENERAL OF CANADA, 2018 FC 809
Opinion
Date: 20180731 Dockets: T-747-17 T-748-17 Citation: 2018 FC 809 [ENGLISH TRANSLATION] Ottawa, Ontario, July 31, 2018 PRESENT: The Honourable Mr. Justice Martineau Docket: T-747-17 BETWEEN: DAVID LESSARD-GAUVIN Applicant and ATTORNEY GENERAL OF CANADA Respondent Docket: T-748-17 AND BETWEEN: DAVID LESSARD-GAUVIN Applicant and ATTORNEY GENERAL OF CANADA Respondent JUDGMENT AND REASONS [ 1 ] The Applicant, David Lessard-Gauvin, is seeking to have set aside two decisions of the Canadian Human Rights Commission [Commission] dismissing, pursuant to subparagraph 44(3) (b)(
i) of the Canadian Human Rights Act , RSC 1985 c. H-6 [CHRA], his discrimination complaints against Health Canada (docket T-747-17) and the Canada Border Services Agency [CBSA] (docket T-748-17). Not including a number of incidental applications, the Applicant notably seeks declaratory relief from the Court to the effect that the Commission’s decision-making process generally infringes upon the constitutional right of access to justice. [ 2 ] For the reasons that follow, both applications for judicial review are dismissed. I.
Background [ 3 ] In the fall of 2013, the Applicant applied to the CBSA for a position as a student border services officer. This was a screening process to fill temporary positions in the summer of 2014 in the Toronto area. On March 6, 2014, after passing the interview and language assessment phases, the Applicant still had to pass a Health Canada medical assessment. [ 4 ] On March 27, 2014, the Applicant underwent a medical assessment at the Medisys clinic in Quebec City performed by examining physician Dr. Langis Dionne.
At that time, he was continuing to take an antidepressant even though his attending physician had recommended in January 2014 that he stop taking that drug entirely. However, the Applicant had opted to continue taking the drug in question to avoid the side effects of weaning during a demanding period in his studies. The examining physician completed a medical form indicating that the Applicant met the medical requirements but also mentioned that the Applicant was taking the drug. [ 5 ] On April 23, 2014, Dr. Bernard Parizeau, a reviewing medical officer with Health Canada, completed the health assessment report.
He concluded instead that the Applicant did not fulfil the medical requirements. His notes indicated, [ translation ] " “Currently has active condition to be re-evaluated when condition stable.” " A report containing essentially the same information was also forwarded to the Applicant. The Applicant states that he was never contacted by the reviewing medical officer or referred to a mental health expert.
He also was not advised as to what was meant by “active condition” or of the existence of any assessment appeal or review process. [ 6 ] On May 1, 2014, the Applicant was informed that the CBSA had rejected his application on the grounds that he had not met the medical requirements. It is noted in passing that the Applicant underwent the medical examination again and passed it the following year after his condition stabilized. However, he chose not to apply for a temporary position as an officer in Toronto as he had accepted employment elsewhere in the Quebec area. II.
Content of discrimination complaints [ 7 ] The Applicant filed two discrimination complaints, one against the CBSA on May 5, 2014 (complaint 20140543/docket T-748-17), the other against Health Canada on December 23, 2014 (complaint 20150029/docket T-747-17), both pursuant to sections 7 and 10 of the CHRA . [ 8 ] First, the Applicant claims that the CBSA refused to employ him due to his disability. He maintains that the health assessment was
excessively strict for the requirements of the position in that student officers are subject to the same medical requirements as regularofficers although they perform different work. He also claims that the CBSA had him undergo an assessment several weeks or monthsbefore the start of employment rather than at the start of training.
His medical condition, which was temporary, would have beenresolved by that time. [9] Next, the Applicant claims that Health Canada followed a discriminatory practice at the time of his medical assessment by failing toconsider the foreseeable short-term change in his state of health, thereby causing the rejection of his application for the position at theCBSA. He should have instead been reassessed after he stopped taking the drug.
Additionally, the form is, in and of itself, discriminatoryin that it does not provide an opportunity to supply information concerning the possible improvement of the medical condition over theshort term. The CBSA was consequently not informed of the need for accommodation. Overall, the fact of having previously haddepression and completing treatment in no way prevented the Applicant from working at the CBSA. III. First investigation and interim decision [10] A preliminary investigation was conducted after the complaints were filed. Reports concerning the two complaints were issued onDecember 4, 2015.
In both cases, the investigator recommended that the Commission dismiss the complaints in accordance withsubparagraph 44(3)(b)(i), as a review of the complaints by the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal [Tribunal] was not warranted. [11] First, the investigator reviewed the complaint against Health Canada under
section 5 of the CHRA addressing the denial of goods orservices on discriminatory grounds, since Health Canada is simply mandated to conduct medical assessments on behalf of the CBSA.The investigator concluded that the final recommendation of the report was directly related to the Applicant’s medical condition. If notfor this condition, the Applicant would have passed the assessment. All is consistent with the criteria in Health Canada’s OccupationalHealth Assessment Guide [OHAG] taking into account the Applicant’s perspective.
In short, Health Canada did not differentiateadversely in the provision of service to the Applicant. [12] Next, the investigator reviewed the complaint against the CBSA under
section 7 of the CHRA addressing the refusal to consider theApplicant’s application on discriminatory grounds. She concluded that the employer knew that the Applicant had failed the HealthCanada medical assessment due to a medical condition. The grounds for rejection were consequently prima facie discriminatory.However, the refusal to employ was rooted in a standard: having applicants undergo a medical assessment as prescribed in the TreasuryBoard Secretariat’s Occupational Health Evaluation Standard [OHES].
Health Canada conducts the assessment in accordance with thecriteria of the Health Canada Category III Medical Assessment developed specifically for CBSA employees. The latter simply acceptsthe outcome. The investigator concluded that the CBSA adopted this assessment as part of the hiring process for reasons related to theposition. Due to the nature of their work, CBSA officers must be in good physical and mental condition.
Nothing was raised in theinvestigation to imply that this practice was adopted other than in the honest and good faith belief that it was necessary to the fulfilmentof that legitimate work-related purpose. This assessment is reasonably necessary to fulfilment of that purpose.
The CBSA also takes intoaccount requests for accommodation from applicants but did not receive any from the Applicant. [13] On March 9, 2016, after reviewing the reports, the Commission decided to return the complaints to the investigation phase due to alack of information as to justification of the imposition of medical requirements for the position.
This is because, although the medicalcriteria may constitute a prima facie discriminatory practice, the imposition of such requirements may be acceptable if the employersuccessfully demonstrates that they are a bona fide occupational requirement (see British Columbia [Public Service Employee RelationsCommission] v. BCGSEU, (SCC), [1999] 3 SCR 3, 176 DLR (4th) 1 [Meiorin cited to SCR]). Similarly, the party thatapplies the criteria, in this case Health Canada, may demonstrate that their application constitutes a bona fide ground.
Now, theCommission finds that the investigation reports do not provide sufficient information concerning justification of the medical criteria forit to render a final decision. It also proposes a series of questions meriting more detailed analysis by the investigator. IV. Supplementary investigation and final decision [14] A second investigation was conducted by the same investigator despite the fact that the Applicant expressed concerns to theCommission regarding her impartiality subsequent to comments she apparently made concerning him.
On November 28, 2016, theinvestigator prepared two new reports again recommending dismissal of the complaints. The investigator adopted a similar analyticalframework in the two cases even though the complaint against Health Canada was analyzed under
section 5 and the complaint againstthe CBSA under
section 7. First, the investigator examined whether the alleged treatment—in the case of the complaint against theCBSA, failure to obtain employment, and in the case of that against Health Canada, discrimination in the provision of service—hadoccurred and, if so, was directly or indirectly related to the Applicant’s medical condition. In the present case, it appeared clear to herthat the Applicant had failed the medical assessment and consequently not obtained employment due to his medical condition.
Next, theinvestigator examined the “standard” or practice cited by the two institutions in differentiating adversely against or refusing to employthe Applicant. [15] In the case of Health Canada, this standard is to indicate that an applicant has not met the medical requirements if an unstablemedical condition prevents assessment of him or her. For the CBSA, it is instead a matter of declining to hire applicants who have notachieved a satisfactory outcome on the medical assessment.
In the end, the investigator concluded that for both institutions, the use ofthis “standard” was warranted according to the three criteria identified in Meiorin (at paragraph 54), these being that the standard wasadopted for a purpose rationally connected to the performance of the job; that the standard was adopted in an honest and good faith beliefthat it was necessary to the fulfilment of that legitimate work-related purpose; and that the standard is reasonably necessary to theaccomplishment of that legitimate work-related purpose.
Each aspect of these conclusions is justified by detailed reasoning. [16] In two decision letters dated April 18, 2017, the Commission advised the Applicant that both of his complaints had been dismissedunder subparagraph 44(3)(b)(
i) of the CHRA. With regard to the complaint against the CBSA, the Commission essentially accepts theconclusions of the two investigation reports. It adds, however, that it is not enough for an employer to accommodate an applicant. The
standard followed—in this case, use of a medical assessment—must also incorporate the concepts of equality and accommodation. In thepresent case, in light of the brief duration of employment and the large number of applicants, it was reasonable for the CBSA to haveapplicants undergo a medical assessment several weeks or months prior to the anticipated start date of employment. Allowing theApplicant to have a second assessment would have posed an excessive constraint.
With respect to the complaint against Health Canada,the Commission limits itself to noting that the initial recommendation was upheld: review of the complaint by a tribunal was notwarranted. V. Standard of review [17] According to the case law, the Commission’s screening of complaints is to be reviewed on the standard of reasonableness (seeJoshi v. Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, 2014 FC 552, at paragraphs 53–55, affd by 2015 FCA 92; 2553-4330 Québec Inc. v.Duverger, 2018 FC 377, at paragraph 8).
With respect to interference with the Applicant’s constitutional rights, the Supreme Court’sanalytical framework in Doré v. Barreau du Québec, 2012 SCC 12, at paragraph 7, is applicable. Lastly, the correctness standard ofreview applies to issues of procedural fairness (see Canada [Citizenship and Immigration] v. Khosa, 2009 SCC 12, at paragraph 43). VI. Constitutionality of screening process [18] The Applicant claims that subparagraph 44(3)(b)(
i) of the CHRA is unconstitutional and seeks a declaration of invalidity to thateffect from this Court because the current access scheme in relation to the Tribunal is inconsistent with the right of access to justice. [19] The Applicant submits that the right of access to justice arises from
section 96 of the Constitution Act, 1867 (U.K.), 30 & 31 Vict,c. 3, reproduced in RSC 1985, Appendix II, No. 5 [Constitution Act, 1867] (pursuant also to Trial Lawyers Association of BritishColumbia v. British Columbia [Attorney General], 2014 SCC 59 [Trial Lawyers]; Hryniak v. Mauldin, 2014 SCC 7; BCGEU v. BritishColumbia [Attorney General], (SCC), [1988] 2 SCR 214, 53 DLR (4th) 1 [BCGEU cited to SCR]). Now, internationallaw should serve in defining the content of this right (see Saskatchewan Federation of Labour v. Saskatchewan, 2015 SCC 4, atparagraph 64; see also Syndicat des employées et employés professionnels et de bureau,
section locale 573 [CTC-FTQ] c. Commission dela construction du Québec, 2014 QCCA 368, at paragraph 68). In fact, a number of international instruments indicate that the right to afair process includes the right of access to the courts. While reasonable limits to this right may exist, such as costs, they must not hinderlitigants’ access to the courts to rule on their disputes. In the present case, since the Commission is not a court, the option to file acomplaint is not sufficient to guarantee access to justice. The screening process adversely affects this right by way not of its existence butof the broad discretion given to the Commission: subparagraph 44(3)(b)(
i) essentially authorizes the Commission to take on the role ofthe Tribunal. Complaints should be dismissed only if there is no reasonable possibility that they will be allowed. [20] The Respondent argues that none of the Applicant’s constitutional rights were violated. Although access to justice may be anessential element of the rule of law principle and the Supreme Court has recognized its importance, there is no legal basis in Canadianlaw for a general and absolute right of access to justice (see Trial Lawyers, BCGEU, Hryniak). In Trial Lawyers, access to justice wasexamined in the context of protecting the inherent jurisdiction of superior courts guaranteed by
section 96 of the Constitution Act, 1867.That being the case, this protection is not relevant in the context of the Commission or the Tribunal. Regardless, there exists aproportionate balance between the Commission’s screening mandate and access to justice among persons claiming to be victims ofdiscrimination. The Commission maintains administrative effectiveness while also ensuring that complainants are heard. By increasingthe effectiveness of the judicial system, the Commission instead contributes to improving access to justice.
The Commission’s complaintprocess constitutes adequate recourse, and complainants have the option to apply for judicial review of decisions. With respect toviolation of the right to equality, the Respondent argues that the Court should not address these allegations as they are vague and lackingsupporting evidence (see Agnaou v. Canada [Attorney General], 2015 FCA 30, at paragraph 62). [21] We must examine first the purpose of the CHRA and then the Commission’s complaint review process. [22] The CHRA seeks to prevent discrimination within institutions, employers and service providers under federal jurisdiction.
Section 3sets out prohibited grounds of discrimination under the scheme, which include disability. The CHRA goes on to define various prohibitedpractices. Among service providers, for example,
an act is discriminatory where it is based on a prohibited ground of discrimination. Thisincludes denying an individual access to a service or differentiating adversely in relation to an individual (section 5). It is also prohibitedto refuse to employ an individual on a prohibited ground of discrimination (section 7). However, the CHRA provides for certainexceptions. As such, any refusal, exclusion, expulsion, suspension, limitation, specification or preference in relation to any employmentthat is established by an employer to be based on a bona fide occupational requirement is not a discriminatory act (paragraph 15(1)(a)). [23] In accordance with the provisions of
Part III of the CHRA, the Commission has the power to receive and address complaints ofdiscriminatory acts—including any act listed in sections 5 through 14.1 of the CHRA—that are not inadmissible on other grounds(subsections 40(1), (5) and (7) and sections 41 and 42). It has already been stated more than once but merits repeating once again: theCommission is not a decision-making body and instead plays a review and screening role (see Cooper v. Canada [Human RightsCommission], (SCC), [1996] 3 SCR 854, at paragraph 53, 140 DLR (4th) 193 [Cooper cited to SCR]; Halifax[Regional Municipality] v.
Nova Scotia [Human Rights Commission], 2012 SCC 10, at paragraph 23 [Halifax]). [24] In this context, the Commission may designate a person—referred to as an “investigator”—to investigate a complaint(subsection 43(1)). The investigator shall submit a report as soon as possible after the conclusion of an investigation (subsection 44(1)).On receipt of the investigation report, at least three outcomes are possible.
The Commission may: (1) refer the complainant to anotherappropriate authority if the complainant ought to exhaust grievance or review procedures otherwise reasonably available(subsection 44(2)); (2) request the Chairperson of the Tribunal to institute an inquiry into the complaint if the Commission is satisfiedthat an inquiry into the complaint is warranted and the complaint is not otherwise inadmissible (paragraph 44(3)(a)); or (3) dismiss thecomplaint if it is satisfied that, having regard to all the circumstances of the complaint, an inquiry into the complaint is not warranted orthe complaint is otherwise inadmissible (paragraph 44(3)(b)).
At this point, it is up to the Commission only to determine whether a
review of the complaint is warranted, that is, "“determine whether there is a reasonable basis in the evidence for proceeding to the nextstage”" (Syndicat des employés de production du Québec et de l’Acadie v. Canada [Canadian Human Rights Commission], (SCC), [1989] 2 SCR 879, at p. 899, 62 DLR (4th) 385 [SEPQA cited to SCR]). [25] In the present case, in light of the existence of mechanisms for judicial review of the Commission’s decisions, the Applicant has notsuccessfully demonstrated to the Court’s satisfaction that subparagraph 44(3)(b)(
i) of the CHRA is unconstitutional because it wouldgrant overly broad discretion to the Commission. Regardless, in accordance with the principle of parliamentary supremacy, a judge mayinvalidate a legislative provision under
section 52 of the Constitution Act, 1982, being
Schedule B to the Canada Act 1982 (U.K.), 1982,c-11 [Constitution Act, 1982], only if the provision violates the Constitution. Principles taken from international law may certainly serveas interpretive tools. Indeed, Canadian laws are to be interpreted so as to give effect to Canada’s international obligations in the absenceof legislative provisions to the contrary (see e.g. R v. Hape, 2007 SCC 26, at paragraph 53). However, principles of international lawmay not be used to invalidate a legislative provision validly adopted by Parliament.
International treaty obligations must be incorporatedinto Canadian law in order to amend domestic law (see Henri Brun, Guy Tremblay and Eugénie Brouillet, Droit constitutionnel, 6th Ed.,Cowansville QC, Éditions Yvon Blais, 2014 at p. 688 [Brun & Tremblay]). In the present case, in addition to the International Covenanton Civil and Political Rights and the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, the Applicant cites internationalinstruments to which Canada is not even a signatory.
The Covenants, meanwhile, may provide a basis for recourse to the United Nationsbut may not be applied directly by Canadian courts (see Brun & Tremblay at p. 683, citing Ahani v. Canada [Attorney General], (ON CA), 58 OR (3d) 107, [2002] OJ No. 431 (QL) (ONCA), leave to appeal to the SCC refused).
The Applicantconsequently may not rely on international law to justify the existence of an absolute right of access to the courts and certainly may notrely on these instruments to give weight to a declaration of constitutional invalidity. [26] While the Supreme Court has on numerous occasions recognized the importance of access to justice, there is no constitutional rightof access to justice to statutory tribunals such as the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal. In BCGEU at paragraph 24, the Supreme Courtrecognized that access to justice was an essential element of the rule of law principle.
However, this recognition did not have the effect ofconstitutionalizing an absolute right of access to justice (see Trial Lawyers at paragraph 20, citing British Columbia [Attorney General]v. Christie, 2007 SCC 21, at paragraph 17). Moreover, in Trial Lawyers, access to justice was examined in the context of protecting theinherent jurisdiction of superior courts guaranteed by
section 96 of the Constitution Act, 1867. In the present case, the Commission’scomplaint screening process has nothing indeed to do with the jurisdiction of superior courts. I recognize that it would be desirablenevertheless that the Commission improve the rapidity, transparency and uniformity of its complaint handling and referral process. Onemight also ask whether, in some cases, the Commission does not go a little too far in the screening phase, where it occasionally appearsto undertake a much more detailed review of a complaint than would have been expected at that stage.
However, a situation of thisnature may still be corrected upon review of the reasonableness of the Commission’s decision insofar as an applicant is able todemonstrate that he or she has suffered detriment—which does not apply to the present case. VII. Reasonableness of the decision [27] The Applicant challenges the Commission’s dismissal of the complaints on multiple grounds. First, he submits that the complaintagainst Health Canada should have been reviewed under
section 7 in addition to
section 5. The CBSA has delegated to Health Canada theauthority to assess applicants. Health Canada consequently plays a role in the staff selection process. The CBSA states further that it hasno control over the assessment outcome. As a result, the investigator excluded the application of a relevant provision. The Applicant addsthat it is unreasonable to apply the same medical requirements to student officers as to regular officers since their working conditions arenot the same. The medical assessment is consequently too strict in relation to the actual working conditions.
Moreover, Health Canada’sfailure to provide him details concerning his active condition prevented him from requesting accommodation and contesting theassessment. It is paradoxical that the report concludes that the condition prevented his assessment but that his application wassubsequently rejected. The investigator neglected to analyze these elements. With regard to the CBSA, having 160 applicants to assesscannot serve as justification for denying him a second assessment; this is not an excessive constraint.
Finally, it would be discriminatoryfrom a financial perspective to evaluate the complaint differently because it involved a short employment contract. [28] The Respondent argues that dismissal of the complaints was a reasonable outcome. Together, the investigator’s conclusions arebased on the evidence in the record and the relevant provisions. In this regard, even in the presence of evidence of discrimination onprohibited grounds, the investigator then had to review the employer’s or service provider’s justification.
The analysis in Meiorin wasestablished in the context of employment but also applies to the provision of services (see British Columbia [Superintendent of MotorVehicles] v. British Columbia [Council of Human Rights], (SCC), [1999] 3 SCR 868, 181 DLR (4th) 385 [BritishColumbia cited to SCR]). The investigator concluded that the practices of Health Canada and the CBSA were discriminatory but thatdismissal of the complaints was justified nonetheless in light of grounds warranting the discriminatory acts.
The Respondent is of theview that the Commission analyzed the facts in the record using the applicable statutory framework in relation to both Health Canadaand the CBSA. In both cases, the investigator considered the entire evidence and the various arguments submitted by the parties. Forexample, the Respondent had the opportunity to submit its observations to the Commission, notably concerning the differences in theduties performed by student officers and regular officers. The investigator has already addressed this issue.
The Respondent notes furtherthat the Commission is not required to make an explicit finding on each argument raised by a complainant (see Newfoundland andLabrador Nurses’ Union v. Newfoundland and Labrador [Treasury Board], 2011 SCC 62, at paragraph 16). The Court must showdeference to this assessment. Additionally, the Respondent submits that it was reasonable to review the complaint against Health Canadaunder
section
Section 7 addresses the refusal to employ or to continue to employ an individual. That being the case, in conducting themedical assessment, Health Canada was not likely to employ the Applicant within the meaning of
section 7; this
section wasconsequently inapplicable. Subsequent to the investigator’s report, it was the Commission’s role to evaluate and weigh the evidence todetermine whether review of the complaint by the Tribunal was warranted in the present case. In short, the decisions are reasonable. [29] It is to be noted that for the purpose of analyzing the reasonableness of the Commission’s decision, the investigator’s reportsconstitute an integral part of the reasons for decision (see Sketchley v. Canada [Attorney General], 2005 FCA 404, at paragraph 37[Sketchley]).
[30] As I explained above, the Commission’s role during the complaint screening phase should be similar to that of a judge conducting apreliminary investigation (Cooper, at paragraph 53). As such, the Commission and the investigator it appoints must examine theevidence to determine whether it is sufficient to warrant a detailed review, or whether there is "“a reasonable basis in the evidence forproceeding to the next stage”" (SEQPA at p. 899). This is a preliminary review of the record, not a detailed review of the issue.
TheCommission is not required to determine whether the complainant is likely to win his or her case (see Halifax, at paragraph 23). In sodoing, it would necessarily run the likelihood of taking on the Tribunal’s role. Acting in this manner, it would encounter the necessaryintervention of this Court. [31] That being said, this issue was not raised by the Applicant with respect to evaluating the decision’s reasonableness.
As discussedearlier, the Applicant asserts that, in general, the Commission tends to take on the Tribunal’s role during the complaint screening phase,hence the unconstitutionality of the legislative scheme. However, he does not explain how, specifically, the investigator and theCommission went too far in their evaluation of the two complaints before this Court. Moreover, the arguments submitted by theApplicant as to the unreasonableness of both decisions are inadequate to allow this Court to conclude in his favour.
While theinvestigator conducted an analysis of the case similar to that which the Tribunal would have possibly undertaken, I find it necessarynonetheless to exercise restraint concerning her analysis of the case and her recommendation not to refer the complaints to the Tribunal.The investigator’s reports and the decisions challenged are reasonable. In the context of the evidence in the record and the applicablelaw, intervention is not warranted, particularly since the detriment alleged by the Applicant has not been demonstrated.
The judicialsystem should not promote the proliferation of avenues of theoretical recourse such as in the present case. [32] In this case, the Applicant has not convinced me that reviewable errors were committed. Indeed, with respect to both complaints,the investigator reviewed the evidence following the approach recommended by the Supreme Court in Meiorin, which consists ofdetermining through use of a three-step test whether a prima facie discriminatory practice is a bona fide occupational requirement.
Aspointed out fairly by the Respondent, this analytical framework applies to complaints concerning not only employment but also theprovision of services (see British Columbia, at paragraph 19). Although Meiorin and British Columbia involved complaints under theBritish Columbia Human Rights Code, the principles are also applicable pursuant to the CHRA (see e.g. Sketchley, at paragraph 86;Walsh v.
Canada [Attorney General], 2017 FC 451). [33] As such, in light of application of the analytical framework from Meiorin beyond the strict context of refusal to employ, I do notfind that a review of the complaint against Health Canada under
section 7 rather than
section 5 would have had decisive impact on theoutcome. Moreover, although Health Canada was involved in the hiring process, it did not ultimately have the power to refuse to employthe Applicant. To this extent, it was not unreasonable to consider that Health Canada, when conducting a medical assessment on behalfof another department, was acting as a service provider rather than a potential employer. I do not see any reviewable errors in this regard. [34] Both reports attest to serious and complete investigations.
The investigator also considered the various questions raised by theCommission at the time of referring the complaints back for a second, more detailed, investigation. It is not the role of this Court injudicial review to re-evaluate evidence and arguments already examined by the Commission. Yet that is what the Applicant is asking usto do. The Applicant argues that it is unreasonable to apply the same medical requirements to student officers as to regular officers sincetheir working conditions are not the same.
However, this issue was already examined by the investigator in the investigation reportconcerning the CBSA (see paragraphs 16 to 19 of the report). The investigator accepted the CBSA’s explanation whereby all employeesperforming enforcement functions undergo the same medical assessment, including students, since their positions are associated withessentially the same risks. Having collected the evidence, the investigator had the option to accept this explanation from the CBSA. I donot find this unreasonable.
Similarly, the Applicant asserts that it was paradoxical that the report concludes that the condition preventedhis assessment but that his application was subsequently rejected. This argument was also examined by the investigator in the reportconcerning Health Canada (see report at paragraph 16). Here again, the investigator accepted Health Canada’s explanation to the effectthat when an applicant could not be assessed due to an active condition, the practice was to indicate that he or she had not met themedical requirements.
This is certainly not the most transparent of practices, but it is not up to this Court to substitute itself for theinvestigator. The same applies to the Applicant’s argument that having 160 applicants to assess could not serve as justification for failingto conduct a second assessment. Once again, the Commission expressly concluded that conducting a second assessment would haveposed an excessive constraint (see decision concerning complaint against CBSA).
The Applicant simply disagrees with this conclusionbut does not identify any reviewable errors. [35] Finally, the Applicant asserts that the Commission did not refer his complaint to the Tribunal—without specifying which one—because it involved a short-term employment contract, which would be discriminatory. However, close reading of the reasons makesclear that the Commission considered the duration of the employment contract in its review of excessive constraints. In light of theduration of the contract (four months), having the Applicant undergo a second assessment would have posed an excessive constraint.
Thisfinding is reasonable. It cannot be claimed that the Commission dismissed the complaint simply due to the duration of the contract. [36] The decisions are consequently reasonable overall and must be upheld. VIII. Allegations of bias [37] The Applicant finds it problematic that the same investigator conducted the supplementary investigation. He raised the issue to theCommission in a letter dated June 7, 2016, but did not receive a response. He argues that his allegations of bias should have beenreviewed by the Commission.
The Respondent counters that the designation of an investigator is entirely up to the Commission, which isin charge of its own procedure (see subsection 43(1) of the CHRA; see also Sketchley, paragraph 119). [38] The burden of demonstrating bias falls on the person alleging the existence thereof (R v. S [RD], (SCC), [1997]3 SCR 484, at paragraph 114, 151 DLR (4th) 193 [R v. S (RD)]). It is not necessary to show actual bias but rather the reasonableapprehension of bias.
This involves asking what an informed person, viewing the matter realistically and practically, and having thoughtthe matter through, would conclude. Would he think that it is more likely than not that the decision-maker, whether consciously orunconsciously, would not decide fairly? (Committee for Justice and Liberty v. National Energy Board, (SCC), [1978]1 SCR 369, at p. 394, 68 DLR (3rd) 716, de Grandpré J., dissenting, adopted by the majority, notably in R v. S [RD], at paragraph 111;
Wewaykum Indian Band v. Canada , 2003 SCC 45 , at paragraph 74 [ Wewaykum ]). Such allegations must rest on serious grounds in light of the strong presumption of impartiality enjoyed by decision-makers ( Wewaykum , at paragraph 75 ). In the present case, although the Applicant’s allegations may potentially be serious, they are nonetheless vague and lack supporting evidence. On the contrary, the investigation reports attest to detailed and complete investigations. There is nothing prima facie to indicate that the investigator did not conduct an objective review of the case.
The Applicant has consequently failed to submit adequate arguments to conclude as to the existence of a reasonable apprehension of bias on the part of the investigator. IX. Conclusion [ 39 ] This application is dismissed. The lump sum of $750, inclusive of disbursements, proposed by the Respondent is payable to the Respondent for costs in light of all the circumstances surrounding the case, the nature of the issues raised, the Applicant’s particular situation and the outcome of the matter. JUDGMENT in T-747-17 and T-748-17 THIS COURT’S JUDGMENT is that the applications for judicial review are dismissed.
The Respondent is entitled to costs in the amount of $750. “Luc Martineau” Judge FEDERAL COURT SOLICITORS OF RECORD DOCKET: T-747-17 STYLE OF CAUSE: DAVID LESSARD-GAUVIN v THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF CANADA AND DOCKET: T-748-17 STYLE OF CAUSE: DAVID LESSARD-GAUVIN v THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF CANADA PLACE OF HEARING: Québec, Quebec DATE OF HEARING: June 26, 2018 JUDGMENT AND REASONS: MARTINEAU J. DATED: July 31, 2018 APPEARANCES : Daniel Lessard-Gauvin FOR THE APPLICANT (REPRESENTING HIMSELF) Marilou Bordeleau For the Respondent SOLICITORS OF RECORD : Attorney General of Canada Ottawa, Ontario For the Respondent