2022 FC, 2022 FC 1228
Opinion
Date: 20220825 Docket: T-982-20 Citation: 2022 FC 1228 Ottawa, Ontario, August 25, 2022 PRESENT: The Honourable Mr. Justice Southcott CERTIFIED CLASS ACTION BETWEEN: TODD SWEET Plaintiff and HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN Defendant ORDER AND REASONS I. Overview [ 1 ] This decision relates to a motion by the Plaintiff dated December 2, 2021, seeking an order certifying this action as a class proceeding under Rule 334.16 of the Federal Courts Rules , SOR/98-106 [the Rules ] and granting an order under Rule 334.17 . This action relates to data breaches in which hacker(
s) gained access to the personal, financial and other information of what appears to be thousands of Canadians through Government of Canada websites. [ 2 ] As explained in greater detail below, the Plaintiff’s motion is granted, because I have found that the Plaintiff has satisfied the requirements of Rule 334.16 . II. Procedural Background [ 3 ] The Plaintiff, Todd Sweet, is the proposed class representative for the proposed class proceeding. He is a resident of Clinton, British Columbia.
The Defendant, Her Majesty the Queen, is named as representative of the Government of Canada [the Government] including the Minister of National Revenue of Canada (the Minister responsible for the Canada Revenue Agency [CRA]) and the Minister of Families, Children, and Social Development (the Minister responsible for Employment and Social Development Canada [ESDC]). [ 4 ] The Plaintiff asserts that, on July 2, 2020, he logged in to his CRA online account after receiving emails notifying him that his email address had been removed from his account.
He discovered that his direct deposit information had been changed and that, on June 29, 2020, using his account, an unknown and unauthorized individual had made four applications for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit [CERB], a program initiated by the Government to provide financial assistance to qualifying Canadians during the COVID-19 pandemic. [ 5 ] The Plaintiff is one of a potential class of what appears to be thousands of people whose online Government accounts (including CRA accounts [styled for users as My Accounts], My Service Canada Accounts for which ESDC is responsible, and other online accounts accessed via the Government of Canada Branded Credential Service Key [GCKey]) were vulnerable to hackers from approximately June to August of 2020, due to what the Plaintiff alleges were operational failures by the Defendant to properly secure the portals providing access to these accounts.
The Plaintiff further alleges that, by obtaining unauthorized access to those accounts, hacker(
s) were able to commit identity theft and CERB fraud and access sensitive and personal information including, e.g., Social Insurance Numbers [SINs], direct deposit banking information, tax information, dates of birth, records of employment, information regarding employment insurance, and other benefits information. [ 6 ] On August 24, 2020, the law firm Murphy Battista LLP [Murphy Battista] commenced this action in the Federal Court on behalf of proposed class representatives who alleged that their online Government accounts had been accessed by hackers.
However, in early April 2021, that firm experienced its own data breach, in which unauthorized parties were able to gain access to the firm’s networks.
The Defendant subsequently brought a motion to stay this action, because the Federal Court lacks the jurisdiction to hear a third party claim that the Defendant intended to pursue against the law firm, seeking contribution and indemnity in relation to any liability of the Defendant to members of the proposed class who may have had their information compromised in both the Government data breaches and the law firm data breach. [ 7 ] Present Plaintiff’s counsel, Rice Harbut Elliott LLP [Rice Harbut], subsequently replaced Murphy Battista and, in opposing the Defendant’s stay motion, prepared pleading amendments intended to narrow the proposed class and the scope of its claim (to exclude persons who contacted Murphy Battista about this class action) such that the Defendant would no longer have a basis to assert its claim for contribution and indemnity.
Those amendments culminated with a draft Third Amended Statement of Claim [Third SOC], which would also replace the previously proposed class representatives with Mr. Sweet as Plaintiff. [ 8 ] This proceeding is being case managed by the undersigned and Associate Justice Ring. By Order and Reasons dated December 20, 2021, I dismissed the Defendant’s stay motion and, by Order dated January 20, 2022, I approved the filing of the Third SOC and the substitution of Mr. Sweet as the proposed representative Plaintiff for the class.
[ 9 ] The parties subsequently completed the service and filing of their records for the certification motion, which they argued orally in Vancouver on May 11-13, 2022. The Plaintiff’s filings culminated with a Reply Memorandum of Fact and Law, which attached a draft Fourth Further Amended Statement of Claim [Fourth SOC] that the Plaintiff seeks leave to file (opposed by the Defendant) in the event the amendments therein are necessary to respond to certain of the Defendant’s arguments.
The Plaintiff seeks certification of a class defined as follows (with the underlined portion representing the only change from the Third SOC to the Fourth SOC): All persons whose personal or financial information in their Government of Canada Online Account was disclosed to a third party without authorization on or after March 1, 2020, excluding Excluded Persons. " “Government of Canada Online Account” " means:
a) Canada Revenue Agency account;
b) My Service Canada account; or
c) another Government of Canada online account, where that account is accessed using the Government of Canada Branded Credential Service (GCKey).
" “Excluded Persons” " means all persons who contacted Murphy Battista LLP about the CRA privacy breach class action, with Federal Court file number T-982-20 prior to June 24, 2021. (Collectively " “Class” " or " “Class Members” " ) [ 10 ] The Plaintiff advances causes of action against the Defendant based on the torts of systemic negligence, breach of confidence, and intrusion upon seclusion, as well as invoking the vicarious liability provisions of the Crown Liability and Proceedings Act , RSC 1985, c C-50 .
He pleads that he and the other class members have suffered damages including: costs incurred in preventing identity theft; identity theft; increased risk of future identity theft; damage to credit reputation; mental distress and comparable effects; monies withdrawn from their bank accounts without their consent; loans applied for in their names without their consent; credit card fraud; inability to access benefits and payments they were entitled to and other losses resulting therefrom; out-of-pocket expenses; time lost in communication with the CRA, ESDC and other Crown agencies to address the data breaches; and time lost in precautionary communications with third parties such as credit agencies to inform them of the potential that personal and financial information may have been compromised. [ 11 ] The present motion seeks an order certifying this action as a class action and granting an order under Rule 334.17 in connection with such certification.
This includes certifying the following proposed common questions: Systemic Negligence A . Did the Defendant owe the Class a duty of care? B . If so, what was the applicable standard of care? C . Did the Defendant breach the applicable standard of care? D . Did the Defendant’s breach of duty cause damage to the Class? Breach of Confidence A . Is the Defendant liable for the tort of breach of confidence vis-à-vis Class Members? Intrusion Upon Seclusion A. Is the Defendant liable for the tort of intrusion upon seclusion vis-à-vis Class Members? Damages A .
Can the Court make an aggregate assessment of all or part of the damages suffered by Class Members and, if so, in what amount? B . Does the conduct of the Defendant merit an award of punitive damages and, if so, in what amount? [ 12 ] The Defendant takes the position that the request for certification should be denied, arguing that none of the requirements for certification are met. The Defendant has also filed motions, asking that the Court strike an affidavit of one of the Plaintiff’s factual witnesses (Elizabeth Emery) and strike certain paragraphs of the report of one of the Plaintiff’s experts (Dr.
Douglas Allen) or alternatively ascribe little weight to such evidence. These motions were argued at the commencement of the hearing of the certification motion and are addressed in these Reasons. III. Issues
[ 13 ] Based on the parties’ written and oral submissions, the issues for the Court’s determination are as follows: A . Should the Court strike certain paragraphs of Dr. Allen’s expert report? B . Should the Court strike the affidavit of Elizabeth Emery? C .
Has the Plaintiff satisfied the criteria of Rule 334.16 , such that this proceeding should be certified? [ 14 ] I note that the Plaintiff’s Memorandum of Fact and Law raised as additional issues whether Rice Harbut should be appointed as class counsel and whether the Defendant should be required to disclose to Rice Harbut and the notice provider the names, mailing addresses, and email addresses of all class members, where that information is within the knowledge of the Defendant.
However, the appointment of Rice Harbut has already been confirmed in my Order dated January 20, 2022, and at the hearing of the present motion, the Plaintiff’s counsel advised that he was advancing no particular submissions on the disclosure issue at this juncture. Counsel proposed that, if the proceeding is certified, this issue can be addressed subsequently through the case management process. This Judgment and Reasons therefore do not address that issue. IV. Analysis A.
General Principles [ 15 ] Before turning to analysis of the issues, it is useful to set out some general principles that apply to the certification of class proceedings. As I understand it, none of these principles are in dispute between the parties. This motion is governed principally by Rules 334.16(1) and (2), which provide as follows: " Certification " " Autorisation " " Conditions " " Conditions " " 334.16
(1) Subject to subsection (3), a judge shall, by order, certify a proceeding as a class proceeding if " " 334.16 (1) " "
Sous réserve du paragraphe (3), le juge autorise une instance comme recours collectif si les conditions suivantes sont réunies : " " (
a) the pleadings disclose a reasonable cause of action; " " a) " " les actes de procédure révèlent une cause d’action valable; " " (
b) there is an identifiable class of two or more persons; " " b) " " il existe un groupe identifiable formé d’au moins deux personnes; " " (
c) the claims of the class members raise common questions of law or fact, whether or not those common questions predominate over questions affecting only individual members; " " c) " " les réclamations des membres du groupe soulèvent des points de droit ou de fait communs, que ceux-ci prédominent ou non sur ceux qui ne concernent qu’un membre; " " (
d) a class proceeding is the preferable procedure for the just and efficient resolution of the common questions of law or fact; and " " d) " " le recours collectif est le meilleur moyen de régler, de façon juste et efficace, les points de droit ou de fait communs; " " (
e) there is a representative plaintiff or applicant who " " e) " " il existe un représentant demandeur qui: " " (
i) would fairly and adequately represent the interests of the class, " " (i) " " représenterait de façon équitable et adéquate les intérêts du groupe, " " (ii) has prepared a plan for the proceeding that sets out a workable method of advancing the proceeding on behalf of the class and of notifying class members as to how the proceeding is progressing, " " (ii) " " a élaboré un plan qui propose une méthode efficace pour poursuivre l’instance au nom du groupe et tenir les membres du groupe informés de son déroulement, " " (iii) does not have, on the common questions of law or fact, an interest that is in conflict with the interests of other class members, and " " (iii) " " n’a pas de conflit d’intérêts avec d’autres membres du groupe en ce qui concerne les points de droit ou de fait communs, " " (iv) provides a
summary of any agreements respecting fees and disbursements between the representative plaintiff or applicant and the solicitor of record. " " (iv) " " communique un
sommaire des conventions relatives aux honoraires et débours qui sont intervenues entre lui et l’avocat inscrit au dossier. " " Matters to be considered " " Facteurs pris en compte " "
(2) All relevant matters shall be considered in a determination of whether a class proceeding is the preferable procedure for the just and efficient resolution of the common questions of law or fact, including whether " " (2) " " Pour décider si le recours collectif est le meilleur moyen de régler les points de droit ou de fait communs de façon juste et efficace, tous les facteurs pertinents sont pris en compte, notamment les suivants : " " (
a) the questions of law or fact common to the class members predominate over any questions affecting only individual members; " " a) " " la prédominance des points de droit ou de fait communs sur ceux qui ne concernent que certains membres; "
"(
b) a significant number of the members ofthe class have a valid interest in individuallycontrolling the prosecution of separateproceedings; " "b)"" la proportion de membres du groupequi ont un intérêt légitime à poursuivre desinstances séparées; " "(
c) the class proceeding would involveclaims that are or have been the subject ofany other proceeding; " "c)"" le fait que le recours collectif porte ounon sur des réclamations qui ont fait ou quifont l’objet d’autres instances; ""(
d) other means of resolving the claims areless practical or less efficient; and " "d)"" l’aspect pratique ou l’efficacitémoindres des autres moyens de régler lesréclamations; ""(
e) the administration of the classproceeding would create greater difficultiesthan those likely to be experienced if reliefwere sought by other means. " "e)"" les difficultés accrues engendrées par lagestion du recours collectif par rapport àcelles associées à la gestion d’autres mesuresde redressement. " [16] As a general statement of the objectives of class action legislation, Chief Justice McLachlin provided the following explanation inHollick v Toronto (City) 2001 SCC 68 at para 15: 15 The Act reflects an increasing recognition of the important advantages that the class action offers as a procedural tool.
AsI discussed at some length in Western Canadian Shopping Centres (at paras. 27-29), class actions provide three importantadvantages over a multiplicity of individual suits. First, by aggregating similar individual actions, class actions serve judicialeconomy by avoiding unnecessary duplication in fact-finding and legal analysis. Second, by distributing fixed litigationcosts amongst a large number of class members, class actions improve access to justice by making economical theprosecution of claims that any one class member would find too costly to prosecute on his or her own.
Third, class actionsserve efficiency and justice by ensuring that actual and potential wrongdoers modify their behaviour to take full account ofthe harm they are causing, or might cause, to the public. … [17] Other than the first requirement of Rule 334.16(1)—that the pleadings disclosing a reasonable cause of action, the test for whichwill be explained later in these Reasons—the threshold for meeting the requirements for certification is the establishment of "“somebasis in fact”" to support the certification order.
The law is clear that the "“some basis in fact”" threshold does not require that the partyseeking certification establish the certification requirements on a balance of probabilities. Indeed, this standard does not require that theCourt resolve conflicting facts and evidence at the certification stage. Rather, it reflects the fact that, at the certification stage, the Courtis ill-equipped to resolve conflicts in the evidence or to engage in finely calibrated assessments of evidentiary weight (see Pro-SysConsultants Ltd v Microsoft Corporation, 2013 SCC 57 [Pro-Sys] at paras 101-102). B.
Should the Court strike certain paragraphs of Dr. Allen’s expert report? [18] The Plaintiff’s certification motion record includes a report dated December 11, 2020, by Dr. Douglas Allen, an economist withDelta Economic Group Inc. As identified in his report, Dr. Allen was instructed to address two questions: A. What would an economist consider is the scope of costs associated with identity theft? B. What methodologies exist to estimate an average cost of this particular identity theft? [19] The Plaintiff relies on Dr.
Allen’s evidence as relevant to the following proposed common issue that he seeks to certify: Can the Court make an aggregate assessment of all or part of the damages suffered by Class Members and, if so, in whatamount? [20] In response to Dr. Allen’s report, the Defendant’s motion record includes a report dated July 13, 2021, by Chris Polson and JakeDwhytie of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP [the PWC Report]. The Plaintiff in turn served a reply report by Dr. Allen dated July 22, 2021.The Defendant subsequently cross-examined Dr. Allen on both his reports. [21] The Defendant’s motion relates to the first of Dr.
Allen’s report [the Allen Report] and seeks: A. to strike certain paragraphs on the basis that they violate a jurisprudential prohibition, applicable at the certification stage of aproceeding, against introducing evidence quantifying damages; and B. to strike certain other paragraphs on the basis that they violate a jurisprudential prohibition, applicable at the certification stage ofa proceeding, against using a random sampling of actual class members to calculate damages. [22] Invoking the criteria prescribed by R v Mohan, (SCC), [1994] 2 SCR 9, 114 DLR (4th) 419 [Mohan] for theadmissibility of expert evidence, the Defendant argues that these two sets of paragraphs of the Allen Report are inadmissible, becausethey are both irrelevant and unnecessary to assist the Court in deciding the certification motion. [23] First, the Defendant challenges paragraphs 12a, 14a, 21a (last sentence), 26-28, 31 and 38 of the Allen Report.
These paragraphsrelate to the first of two methodologies the Allen Report proposes for estimating the average cost of the identify theft that is the subjectof this action. That methodology involves using information that is publicly available from a random sampling survey on identity theft.Dr.
Allen explains how such information could be employed in that quantification methodology, including arriving at what he refers to asa base or floor estimate of the average cost per person. [24] The Defendant recognizes that the Court can consider at the certification stage whether aggregate damages can be considered acommon issue, but it emphasizes that the quantification of damages is not a matter to be considered at this stage. The Defendant relies,
inter alia , on Pro-Sys at paras 113-115 , which noted that, during a certification proceeding, a court may contemplate whether loss to the class members can be established on a class-wide basis and that this process may require the use of expert evidence. However, the Supreme Court explained that it is not necessary at the certification stage that the methodology establish the actual loss to the class, only that that there is a methodology capable of doing so. [ 25 ] Against this jurisprudential backdrop, I do not find the first set of impugned paragraphs of the Allen Report problematic.
The Plaintiff offers that evidence not for the purpose of quantifying his damages or those of the proposed class members but rather to support his position that there is an available methodology for quantifying the class members’ damages on an aggregate basis. This is a purpose expressly contemplated by Pro-Sys as relevant to the certification stage of a proceeding.
As explained by the Court of Appeal for Ontario in Fulawka v Bank of Nova Scotia , 2012 ONCA 443 [ Fulawka ] at para 81 (cited by the Federal Court in McCrea v Canada (Attorney General) , 2015 FC 592 [ McCrea ] at para 351 ), a plaintiff is required to adduce supporting evidence to demonstrate that there is a workable methodology for determining issues of causation or damages, if proposed, on a class-wide basis. [ 26 ] Next, the Defendant argues that paragraphs 14b, 32-36, and 39 of the Allen Report are inadmissible for violating a certification stage prohibition against using a random sampling of actual class members to calculate damages.
As previously noted, Dr. Allen proposes two methodologies for calculating damages. The second methodology involves conducting a survey of a random sample of class members. The Defendant submits that such a methodology is prohibited by law, because it requires proof by individual class members. [ 27 ] In support of this position, the Defendant relies on the decision of the Court of Appeal for Ontario in Fulawka at paragraph 137 , which r ejected an expert’s random sampling methodology because it impermissibly required proof from individual class members in order to arrive at an aggregate damages figure.
The Court reasoned that this methodology was antithetical to the requirement in s 24(1)(
c) of the Ontario Class Proceedings Act, 1992 , SO 1992, c 6 [the Ontario Act ], which a uthorizes a common issues trial judge to assess damages on an ag gregate basis where the aggregate amount of the defendant’s liability can reasonably be determined without proof by individual class members. [ 28 ] In response, the Plaintiff identifies other authorities from courts in Ontario and British Columbia that he argues support his position that Fulawka is a jurisprudential outlier on the point on which the Defendant relies.
These authorities include a recent decision of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice in Fresco v Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce , 2020 ONSC 4288 at paras 20-22 , in which Justice Belobaba described the decision on this point in Fulawka as an outlier, inconsistent with other jurisprudence of the Court of Appeal for Ontario and the language of the Ontario Act .
Justice Belobaba invited the Court of Appeal to revisit this point. [ 29 ] However, in the appeal from Justice Belobaba’s decision, the Court of Appeal for Ontario declined this invitation, neither affirming nor departing from Fulawka (see Fresco v Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce , 2022 ONCA 115 at paras 89-90 ) .
The Court concluded that any ruling on the disputed point would have to wait until the completion of the plaintiff's proposed damages report, when it would be known whether statistical sampling would be used to fill any evidentiary gaps. [ 30 ] While these cases upon which the Plaintiff relies may suggest that the law in Ontario on this point is somewhat unsettled, it remains the case that Fulawka represents the most recent pronouncement on the law in Ontario by its Court of Appeal.
However, I find compelling the Plaintiff’s argument that Fulawka is based on a provision of the Ontario Act that does not appear in the Rules of the Federal Court that apply to the present proceeding. The Defendant acknowledges that the Rules do not contain a provision similar to s 24(1)(
c) but argues that, in McCrea at para 351 , the Federal Court explicitly reviewed and adopted the principles of certification set out in Fulawka . [ 31 ] In my view, McCrea does not assist the Defendant, who relies on Justice Kane’s
summary at paragraphs 350-352 of a list of p rinciples set out at paragraph 81 of Fulawka regarding the establishment of a common issue. McCrea does not refer to, and I do not read it as necessarily endorsing, the analysis at paragraph 137 of Fulawka , based on s 24(1)(
c) of the Ontario Act , upon which the Defendant’s argument relies. [ 32 ] The Plaintiff notes that Rule 348.28 addresses the Federal Court’s authority to make aggregate assessments in class proceedings as follows: " 334.28
(1) A judge may make any order in respect of the assessment of monetary relief, including aggregate assessments, that is due to the class or subclass. " " 334.28 (1) " " Le juge peut rendre toute ordonnance relativement à l’évaluation d’une réparation pécuniaire, y compris une évaluation globale, qui est due au groupe ou au sous-groupe . " " … " " … " "
(3) For the purposes of this rule, a judge may order any special modes of proof. " " (3) " " Pour l’application de la présente règle, le juge peut ordonner le recours à des modes de preuve spéciaux. " [ 33 ] I agree with the Plaintiff’s submission that these provisions do not include the restriction found in s 24(1)(
c) of the Ontario Act . Indeed, Rule 334.28(3) expresses in broad terms the Court’s authority to order special modes of proof in connection with an aggregate assessment. [ 34 ] The Plaintiff also notes that, in Cuzzetto v Business in Motion International Corporation , 2014 FC 17 [ Cuzzetto ] at paras 102-103 , Justice Rennie (then of the Federal Court) cited Rule 334.28 and stated that aggregate damages awards are available even if identifying class members who would be entitled to an award would be impractical or would require a case-by-case analysis.
This statement appears inconsistent with the principle from Fulawka upon which the Defendant relies. Moreover, Justice Rennie explained in Cuzzetto that s ome guidance as to the appropriate amount of an aggregate award could be derived from an analysis which included data provided by class
members in response to a survey conducted by counsel (at paras 99, 100, and 106). [ 35 ] The Defendant also advances an argument that the prohibition against random sampling described in Fulawka should apply to this proposed class proceeding, because there is no commonality among the proposed class members in relation to any damages to which they might be entitled as a result of the data breaches.
Therefore, says the Defendant, a methodology employing a random sampling of the losses of actual class members would not assist the Court in accurately calculating aggregate damages. [ 36 ] In my view, this argument does not speak to the admissibility of Dr. Allen’s evidence. It is available to the Defendant to take the position on the main certification motion that the test for identification of common issues, including the application of that test to the proposed aggregate damages issue in particular, is not met.
However, I do not see how this argument supports a conclusion that the impugned paragraphs of the Allen Report are inadmissible pursuant to a prohibition that is absent from the Rules . [ 37 ] In relation to both sets of impugned paragraphs, I find that the evidence in the Allen Report is relevant to the Court’s task of determining whether to certify the proposed common issue surrounding aggregate damages. I also accept the Plaintiff’s submissions that economic models for assessing the cost of identity theft are beyond the ordinary understanding of a Court.
I therefore consider the impugned evidence to satisfy both the relevance and necessity criteria of Mohan . [ 38 ] The Defendant notes that Dr. Allen acknowledged in cross-examination that his report is based on certain assumptions, including that all losses suffered by the proposed class members resulted from the data breaches at issue, that the harm suffered was common throughout the class, that the Court has already found that the Defendant had a common duty to the class, and that the Court has ruled in the Plaintiff’s favour concerning causation and the applicable standard of care.
The Defendant argues that such assumptions are prejudicial, because they depend on a finding of liability not yet made. The Defendant also submits that is it prejudicial for the Allen Report to be presenting a quantification figure. [ 39 ] I find no merit to these arguments. It is not uncommon for an expert to make assumptions about the resolution of factual or legal issues upon which the expert is not personally opining. Obviously, if the assumptions turn out to be inaccurate, that may undermine the value of the opinion on the issue on which the expert is opining or indeed may eliminate that issue.
However, I disagree with the Defendant’s position that the fact the assumptions underlying the opinion are favourable to one party serves to prejudice the other party and thereby render the opinion inadmissible.
The Court is capable of recognizing assumptions for what they are. [ 40 ] Similarly, the fact that the Allen Report arrives at a floor or base quantification figure in demonstrating one of its proposed methodologies does not detract from the Court’s ability to consider the methodological evidence, as distinct from its possible result, for the purpose that is relevant to the certification motion. [ 41 ] I find the impugned paragraphs of the Allen Report admissible in the certification motion.
The Defendant also relies on the evidence in the PWC Report in support of an argument that, if the impugned paragraphs are admitted, the Allen Report should be afforded little weight. I will return to that argument later in these Reasons, when analysing whether the Plaintiff has satisfied the criteria of Rule 334.16 such that this proceeding should be certified. C.
Should the Court strike the affidavit of Elizabeth Emery? [ 42 ] The Defendant seeks to strike the second Affidavit of Elizabeth Emery, affirmed on July 23, 2021 [the Second Emery Affidavit], contained in the Plaintiff’s reply motion record for certification on the basis that it fails to identify the source of the affiant’s information and belief, is irrelevant to the certification criteria, contains unreliable opinion evidence, and constitutes improper reply. [ 43 ] To place the Second Emery Affidavit in context, it is useful to explain briefly the evidentiary record before the Court in the certification motion.
In its original motion record, the Plaintiff filed a number of affidavits from proposed class members (or those who would have been members of the proposed class before the change in the proposed definition explained above), a first affidavit from Ms. Emery (then an articled clerk and now a lawyer at Murphy Battista, the law firm representing the previous plaintiffs in this matter), and two expert reports (including the Allen Report referenced earlier in these Reasons).
The Defendant’s response includes affidavits from various government officials and expert reports of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP (including the PWC Report referenced earlier in these Reasons). The Plaintiff’s reply evidence contains additional affidavits including the Second Emery Affidavit. [ 44 ] The Second Emery Affidavit appends various newspaper articles reporting on the wait times for the CRA helpline, the precautionary suspension of My Accounts by CRA in February and March of 2021, and the impact of CERB fraud on taxpayers’ income tax. Ms.
Emery also appends a news release indicating that the Taxpayers’ Ombudsperson will conduct a review of the communications CRA provided to taxpayers when it locked users out of their My Accounts in February 2021, as well as a statement from CRA regarding its decision to lock users’ My Accounts to prevent unauthorized access. [ 45 ] Ms.
Emery states that her affidavit is affirmed in reply to the Defendant’s responding motion record and specifically the PWC Report (which, as previously explained, responds to the Allen Report’s opinion on methodologies for quantifying damages) and the affidavits of two government officials, Brian Rae and Mahmoud Gad. [ 46 ] Mr. Rae is the Director, Digital Operations Division, in the Digital Services Directorate, Assessment, Benefit and Service Branch of CRA.
His affidavit, affirmed June 8, 2021 [the Rae Affidavit] explains the CRA My Accounts; different ways to register for and log in to My Accounts; links between CRA and ESDC; My Accounts’ security measures during the summer 2020 data breaches; CRA’s disabling of online access and notification letters to affected individuals; CRA’s timeframes for sending notification letters and follow-up letters; CRA’s security check letters; its disabling of online access to My Accounts in February 2021; and the revocation of individual credentials in March 2021. [ 47 ] M r.
Gad is a Senior Technical Advisor in the Information Technology Branch of CRA. In his affidavit affirmed June 30, 2021 [the Gad Affidavit], he addresses CRA’s multi-layered security approach to the defence of its networks, s ys tems, and portal applications against infiltration by hostile actors; login methods for CRA portal se rv ices; actions taken by CRA in response to the data breaches (also
described as cyber security incidents); details regarding the credential stuffing attack (explained later in these Reasons as the type of cyber security incidents involved in this matter); the impact of the cyber security incidents; the C RA information technology security analysis of whether individual affiant accounts were affected by the cyber security incidents; and the payment of CERB to individuals who qualified but did not receive it as a result of actions of bad actors. (I note that, in their evidence and submissions, the parties use the terms " “hacker” " , " “bad actor” " and " “threat actor” " relatively interchangeably to refer to the person or persons who perpetrated the relevant data breaches.) [ 48 ] In challenging the admissibility of the Second Emery Affidavit, the Defendant first argues that it consists entirely of hearsay evidence that is outside Ms.
Emery’s personal knowledge and is therefore inadmissible because it offends the requirements of Rule 81(1) by failing to identify the deponent’s source of information and belief. Ms. Emery states in her affidavit that she has personal knowledge of the facts and matters deposed to therein. She also states that, where facts are not within her personal knowledge, she has stated the source of the information and believes that information to be true.
However, the Defendant argues that these boilerplate statements do not satisfy Rule 81(1), which requires an explanation of the basis for a deponent’s belief sufficient to demonstrate the reliability thereof (see, e.g., Kish v Facebook Canada Ltd , 2021 SKQB 198 at para 17 ; Williams v Canon Canada Inc , 2011 ONSC 6571 at para 102 ; Thorpe v Honda Canada, Inc , 2010 SKQB 39 at para 27 ). [ 49 ] The Plaintiff’s counsel admits that the boilerplate statements in the Second Emery Affidavit are inelegant but argue that this does not affect the admissibility of the evidence, because it is not being relied upon for a hearsay purpose, i.e., to establish the truth of its contents.
Therefore, Rule 81(1) does not apply. The Plaintiff relies on authority that, on a certification motion where the moving party need only establish that there is some basis in fact for the certification criteria, evidence can be admitted, even though it would not be admissible for the truth of its contents, in order to support, along with other evidence, that there is some basis in fact for those criteria (see, e.g., Canada v Greenwood , 2021 FCA 186 at para 96 ; Johnson v Ontario , 2016 ONSC 5314 [ Johnson ] at paras 54-67 ).
As I summarized the conclusions in Johnson in Tippett v Canada , 2019 FC 869 [ Tippett ] at para 24 : 24. The Plaintiff relies on the decision in Johnson v Ontario , 2016 ONSC 5314 at paras 54-67 , which explained that, while a certification motion is not to be treated as an “evidentiary free for all,” the procedural nature and purpose of the motion must be kept in mind.
The Court held that, while the evidence contained in inquest material and newspaper articles, as well as an ombudsman report referenced therein, was not admissible for the truth of its contents, it could be considered and assessed, along with the frailties it may contain, to determine whether the moving party has met the onus of establishing some basis in fact for the certification requirements. [ 50 ] Relying on these principles, I do not find the Second Emery Affidavit inadmissible based on the Defendant’s hearsay arguments.
For the same reasons, I reject the Defendant’s arguments that the evidence is inadmissible because it includes unreliable opinions. To the extent the news articles attached as exhibits to the Second Emery Affidavit include statements of opinions, they are not at this stage of the proceeding being introduced for the truth of their contents, and their reliability is not presently at issue. [ 51 ] The Defendant also submits that the Second Emery Affidavit should be struck because it is irrelevant to the issues in the certification motion and is not proper reply evidence.
The Defendant asserts this argument first in relation to the evidence in the Second Emery Affidavit said to be offered in reply to paragraphs 66 to 71 of the Rae Affidavit, in which Mr. Rae explains that CRA disabled online accounts in February 2021 and revoked potentially compromised credentials in March 2021. The Defendant notes Mr. Rae’s evidence that these measures related to accounts that were not compromised in the 2020 breaches.
The Defendant therefore submits that the articles attached to the Second Emery Affidavit, reporting on taxpayers’ reactions to these measures, are unrelated to the allegations in this proceeding. The Plaintiff responds that the Defendant cannot be certain that the risks to which CRA was responding in 2021 were unrelated to the 2020 breaches.
I accept this submission, as the disputed articles include a Times Colonist report on the concerns of a taxpayer, reacting to being locked out of his account in February 2021, after having also been affected by CRA’s data breach in August 2020. [ 52 ] As to whether this evidence, related to taxpayers’ reactions to the measures taken by CRA in February and March 2021, is proper reply, I am guided by the explanation in Angelcare Development Inc v Munchkin, Inc , 2020 FC 1185 at para 10 (quoting from Halford v Seed Hawk Inc , 2003 FCT 141 ): 10.
From the principle against case splitting, Justice Pelletier in Halford draws a general rule on the scope of reply evidence, stating at paragraph 14 that: 14. evidence which simply confirms or repeats evidence given in chief is not to be allowed as reply evidence . It must add something new. But since the plaintiff is not allowed to split its case, that something new must be evidence which was not part of its case in chief.
That can only leave evidence relating to matters arising in defence which were not raised in the plaintiff's case in chief. … [Emphasis in original.] [ 53 ] The Defendant’s materials responding to the certification motion describe the February and March 2021 measures as demonstrating proactive steps taken by CRA to contain and eradicate the cyber security incident.
This evidence therefore relates to a matter arising in defence, and it is appropriate for the Plaintiff to reply with evidence on what he would characterize as adverse effects of those measures and potentially linking those measures to the 2020 data breaches. I therefore find that the paragraphs of the Second Emery Affidavit and related exhibits, offered in reply to paragraphs 66 to 71 of the Rae Affidavit, are admissible. [ 54 ] However, I have reached the opposite conclusion on the evidence offered in reply to paragraphs 47 and 48 of the Rae Affidavit. In those paragraphs, Mr.
Rae explains how CRA provided notification to some of the My Account holders affected by the 2020 data breaches, including security protocols to be employed when they contacted the CRA call centre in response to such notification. The Second Emery Affidavit references (at paragraph 2) and attaches (at Exhibits B and
C) articles on lengthy wait times and resulting frustration experienced by callers. However, the Defendant points out that several of the proposed class member affiants provided evidence on their own similar experiences. The new evidence relates to a matter that was raised in the Plaintiff’s evidence in its case in
chief, and it is not appropriate to introduce more evidence on the same matter in reply. My Order will therefore strike paragraph 2 of the Second Emery Affidavit and the related Exhibits B and C. [ 55 ] Finally, the Second Emery Affidavit seeks to introduce news articles about CERB fraud experienced by taxpayers who were affected by the data breach, including adverse tax consequences resulting from CERB payments being attributed to them as income. Ms. Emery says that this evidence is offered in reply to
section 2.4 of the PWC Report and paragraphs 8 and 26 of the Gad Affidavit. [ 56 ] I am satisfied that this new evidence is appropriate reply to paragraph 26 of the Gad Affidavit, which asserts that CRA has made whole and is continuing to make whole those who did not receive COVID-related benefits because payments had been made to bad actors through their accounts.
While the Defendant points out that the proposed class member affiants provided evidence of concern about the effects upon them of CERB-related fraud, I read the new evidence as intended to cast doubt upon the Defendant’s subsequent evidence to the effect that those affected were being made whole. [ 57 ] To the extent the Defendant advances arguments in support of a position that, if the Second Emery Affidavit is admitted it should be afforded little weight, such arguments would be best addressed, if necessary, when analysing whether the Plaintiff has satisfied the criteria of Rule 334.16 such that this proceeding should be certified.
D. Has the Plaintiff satisfied the criteria of Rule 334.16, such that this proceeding should be certified?
(1) Factual Background (
a) CRA’s My Accounts [ 58 ] Before turning to the individual requirements for certification, it is helpful to canvass in more detail the factual background to the Plaintiff’s action. As explained earlier in these Reasons, the effect of the " “some basis in fact” " threshold is that the Court is not required on a certification motion to weigh the evidence and make findings of fact. However, much of the factual background to this action appears to be undisputed. Indeed, both parties rely significantly on the evidence of the Defendant’s affiants, including expert evidence, in explaining the nature of the online Government accounts, and the breaches thereof, underlying his action. The following
summary is derived from the parties’ explanations of the background in their respective Memoranda of Fact and Law. I will identify any factual components of this
summary that I understand to be in dispute. [ 59 ] As previously noted, CRA maintains an online portal, styled as My Account, that allows individual Canadian taxpayers to access CRA’s services online and manage their tax affairs. Taxpayers can register for, and subsequently access, My Account, in three different ways: (
a) through CRA’s own Credential Management System [CMS]; (
b) through a sign-in partner such as using a bankcard; or (
c) through a BC Services Card. As will be explained in more detail below, only the first of these methods, using CRA’s CMS, was affected by the data breaches that are the subject of this action.
Registering for My Account using CRA’s CMS involves an individual taxpayer creating a CRA user ID and password, as well as selecting five security questions and creating answers to those questions, following which CRA provides the taxpayer with a security code to be used to complete the registration process. [ 60 ] When accessing My Account, the individual must enter the user ID and password and answer one of the security questions, which is randomly generated from among the five questions the individual selected during registration.
The taxpayer can then view detailed tax information, including the status of tax returns, notices of assessment and reassessment, RRSP deduction limits, TFSA contribution room, and tax information slips, as well as personal information including addresses, telephone numbers, direct deposit banking information, marital status, and children in the taxpayer’s care. The taxpayer can also apply for CERB and other benefits through My Account. (
b) GCKey and ESDC’s My Service Canada Accounts [ 61 ] Somewhat similarly, ESDC also maintains an online portal, styled as My Service Canada Accounts [MSCA], which individuals can use to access several ESDC programs, including Employment Insurance [EI], Canada Pension Plan [CPP] and Old Age Security [OAS] programs. Users can register for and subsequently access their MSCA through three methods: (
a) using a GCKey credential; (
b) using a sign-in partner; or (
c) using a provincial digital identification in Alberta or British Columbia. Only the first of these methods, using GCKey, was affected by the data breaches that are the subject of this action. [ 62 ] GCKey is a credential management service provided to the Government by a third party vendor named 2Keys Corporation [2Keys] and is intended to provide a single method of online access to many Government online services [Enabled Services].
GCKey assists over 30 Government departments, including ESDC; Parks Canada; Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada; Natural Resources Canada; and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, in controlling access to over 100 Enabled Services. CRA does not use GCKey. [ 63 ] To register for GCKey, a user chooses a username and password and requests a personal access code, which is used to complete the registration process. Subsequently, users can access GCKey through the username and password, described in the Defendant’s Memorandum of Fact and Law as " “single factor authentication” " .
Unlike with CRA’s My Accounts, there is no second step of answering a security question in order to access GCKey or to use GCKey to access MSCA. However, individual Government departments can implement additional security controls based on their specific Enabled Services. [ 64 ] Once a user accesses MSCA through GCKey, the user can view tax information including tax slips, records of employment, information regarding EI applications, CPP, OAS, and other personal information including mailing addresses, telephone numbers, direct deposit banking information, names, SINs, and dates of birth.
Significant to some of the data breaches underlying this action, at times material to the action a user accessing MSCA could also view and access all personal information contained in the user’s CRA My Account, through an e-linking service between MSCA and My Account, without having to re-authenticate. In other words, a CRA My
Account could be accessed using GCKey via MSCA, without having to answer the security question that would be required to access My Account directly. [ 65 ] Like CRA’s My Account, ESDC’s MSCA represented a means by which users could apply for the CERB. (
c) The Data Breaches [ 66 ] In the summer of 2020, GCKey and CRA’s My Account were the subject of what the cybersecurity industry describes as a " “credential stuffing attack” " by a threat actor, predominantly targeting CRA and ESDC as a means of fraudulently applying for COVID relief benefits (CERB and the Canada Emergency Student Benefit [CESB]) that had been introduced by the Government in the spring of 2020). Credential stuffing is a form of cyber attack that relies on the use of stolen credentials (username and password) from one system to attack another system and gain unauthorized access to an account.
This type of attack relies on the reuse of the same username and password combinations by people over several services. Threat actors sell lists of credentials on the Dark Web. Credential stuffing usually refers to the attempt to gain access to many accounts through a web portal using an automated bot system rather than manually entering the credentials.
On dates in July 2020, CRA’s My Account experienced large numbers of failed logins, which have since been identified as a precursor to, or otherwise part of, a credential stuffing attack against that service. [ 67 ] A threat actor attempting to access a particular My Account through credential stuffing would typically have encountered the requirement to successfully answer one of the five security questions selected by the user. However, during the attack that occurred in the summer of 2020, the threat actor(
s) were able to bypass the security questions, and access My Account, because of a misconfiguration in CRA’s credential management software. CRA learned of this method to bypass the security questions on August 6, 2020, when it received a tip from a law enforcement partner that such a method was being sold on the Dark Web.
Among other steps taken to respond to the data breach, CRA subsequently identified the relevant misconfiguration in its software, which it remedied on or about August 10, 2020. [ 68 ] In the meantime, at least 48,110 My Accounts were impacted by the unauthorized use of credentials, meaning that the threat actor was able to enter a valid CRA user ID and password. Of those 48,110 My Accounts, 21,860 involved no progress by the threat actor beyond entering the ID and password, such that the threat actor did not access the accounts.
This is potentially understood as a stage of the attack in which the threat actor was ensuring that the credentials worked. The threat actor(
s) actually logged in to 26,250 My Accounts. In 13,550 of the My Accounts, although the security question bypass was used, the threat actor only viewed the homepage, meaning that some personal information was accessed, but no application was submitted for CERB. In 12,700 of the My Accounts, the threat actor changed the relevant taxpayer’s direct deposit banking information and fraudulently applied for CERB. [ 69 ] The Defendant’s expert evidence explains that post-incident analysis revealed that the credential stuffing attack against CRA’s CMS system occurred between July 27 and August 10, 2020.
I understand that, at least at this stage of the proceeding, the Plaintiff does not necessarily accept these temporal limits on the duration of the attack. [ 70 ] CRA initially treated as potentially compromised any My Account where a valid set of credentials was used, even if the account was not actually accessed, and sent notification letters to the account holders, including offering enhanced protection services for a period at no cost. [ 71 ] Turning to the attack on GCKey, the evidence is that on June 18, 2020, and on various dates in July 2020, it experienced large numbers of failed logins, which have since been identified as a precursor to, or otherwise part of, a credential stuffing attack against the GCKey service. 2Keys advised the Government on August 4, 2020 that they had noticed some login anomalies in the previous days, and August 5, 2020, 2Keys determined that the suspicious login activity was a large-scale credential stuffing attack on the GCKey service. [ 72 ] ESDC is the Government department that suffered the greatest impact from the attack on GCKey.
ESDC has identified 5,957 accounts across several Enabled Services that were potentially impacted by the attack, of which 3,439 accounts were accessed by someone (including potentially the rightful owner) between July 15 and August 5, 2020, including access for purposes of changing banking information or addresses.
Subsequent analysis concluded that the remaining 2,518 of the 5,957 accounts showed no access. 3,200 compromised MSCAs were used to access CRA My Accounts via the link between MSCA and CRA, and 1,200 of those accounts were used to apply for CERB or other COVID-related benefits. [ 73 ] Among other steps taken to respond to the data breach, the Defendant’s evidence is that, as of August 14, 2020, 2Keys was able to block all botnet traffic on the GCKey service and block the credential stuffing attack from occurring further. On August 14, 2020, ESDC also disabled the link between the MSCA and CRA My Account.
Again, I understand that the Plaintiff does not necessarily accept this temporal limit on the duration of the attack. [ 74 ] Between August 1, 2020, and August 25, 2020, ESDC sent notification letters to all affected ESDC account holders that use the GCKey service, informing them that their accounts may have been accessed as a result of the credential stuffing attack. ESDC offered two years of credit monitoring with Equifax to anyone whose information may have been accessed as a result of the attack.
(2) Disclosure of a Reasonable Cause of Action [ 75 ] The first requirement for certification is that prescribed by Rule 334.16(1)(a), that the pleadings disclose a reasonable cause of action. The test applied to this requirement is the same as on a motion to strike, i.e. whether it is plain and obvious that the pleading discloses no reasonable cause of action.
This analysis is not to be conducted based on evidence submitted by the parties, but rather based on the assumption that the facts as pleaded are true (see, e.g., Condon v Canada , 2015 FCA 159 [ Condon FCA ] at paras 11-13 ). [ 76 ] The Plaintiff advances causes of action in systemic negligence, breach of confidence, and intrusion upon seclusion. The Defendant argues that the Plaintiff’s pleadings do not disclose a reasonable cause of action in any of these torts. I will consider each proposed cause of action individually.
(
a) Systemic Negligence (
i) The Parties’ Positions [ 77 ] Both the Third SOC and the Fourth SOC are materially identical in their framing of the Plaintiff’s allegations of systemic negligence.
They allege that the Defendant owed a common law and non-delegable duty to the Plaintiff and other Class Members to use reasonable care in the collection, storage, and retention of their personal and financial information and a duty to ensure that this personal and financial information was safe, kept private, and protected and that it would not be subject to unauthorized disclosure to a third party. [ 78 ] The Plaintiff pleads s 8(1) of the Privacy Act , RSC 1985, c P-21 , pursuant to which personal information under the control of the Defendant cannot, without the consent of the individual to whom the information relates, be disclosed by the Defendant, and asserts that the Defendant’s breach of the Privacy Act is evidence that its conduct fell below the applicable standard of care. [ 79 ] The pleadings articulate a number of alleged systemic breaches of the Defendant’s duty by, among other things, failing to create or adhere to Government policies relevant to the collection, storage, retention and disclosure of personal and financial information; failing to take reasonable steps to protect such information; failing to offer a non-vulnerable security question mechanism for users of the GCKey, My Account, and MSCA systems; failing to follow industry norms regarding two factor authentication for these accounts; and failing to take reasonable steps, including freezing the online systems, when they knew or ought to have known of the data breaches. [ 80 ] The pleadings assert that measures taken by the Defendant in the latter part of 2020 to protect its databases, systems and other relevant online accounts should have been taken prior to the unauthorized data breaches.
They further assert that the Defendant’s breaches caused the Plaintiff and other Class Members harm and ongoing damages, including distress, anxiety, mental anguish, lost time, lost opportunities, and out-of-pocket expenses. [ 81 ] The Defendant raises a number of arguments in support of its position that the Plaintiff’s pleadings do not disclose a reasonable cause of action in systemic negligence.
The Defendant submits that the Plaintiff has failed to plead any facts to support a relationship of proximity necessary to establish a prima facie duty of care; that the negligence claim cannot succeed because it challenges a core policy decision that is immune from liability; and that the claim should fail because it seeks to impose a duty of care in circumstances that would result in indeterminate liability to an indeterminate class. [ 82 ] The parties agree that the principles governing whether a duty of care will be recognized in a given case alleging liability of a public authority are those derived from Anns v Merton London Borough Council , [1978] AC 728 (HL) [ Anns ] , as applied in Cooper v Hobart , 2001 SCC 79 [ Cooper ], and its companion case, Edwards v Law Society of Upper Canada , 2001 SCC 80 [ Edwards ].
As summarized in Edwards at paras 8-10 : 8. The companion case of Cooper outlines the approach in assessing whether a duty of care will be recognized in a given case. Specifically, Cooper revisits the Anns test and clarifies the express policy components to be considered at each stage. 9. At the first stage of the Anns test, the question is whether the circumstances disclose reasonably foreseeable harm and proximity sufficient to establish a prima facie duty of care.
The focus at this stage is on factors arising from the relationship between the plaintiff and the defendant, including broad considerations of policy. The starting point for this analysis is to determine whether there are analogous categories of cases in which proximity has previously been recognized. If no such cases exist, the question then becomes whether a new duty of care should be recognized in the circumstances. Mere foreseeability is not enough to establish a prima facie duty of care.
The plaintiff must also show proximity — that the defendant was in a close and direct relationship to him or her such that it is just to impose a duty of care in the circumstances. Factors giving rise to proximity must be grounded in the governing statute when there is one, as in the present case. 10. If the plaintiff is successful at the first stage of Anns such that a prima facie duty of care has been established (despite the fact that the proposed duty does not fall within an already recognized category of recovery), the second stage of the Anns test must be addressed.
That question is whether there exist residual policy considerations which justify denying liability.
Residual policy considerations include, among other things, the effect of recognizing that duty of care on other legal obligations, its impact on the legal system and, in a less precise but important consideration, the effect of imposing liability on society in general. (ii) Foreseeability [ 83 ] Beginning with the first stage of the Anns/ Cooper test, which considers both foreseeability and proximity, the Defendant relies on Del Giudice v Thompson , 2021 ONSC 5379 [ Del Giudice ], in support of its position that the harm to the Plaintiff and the proposed Class Members in the case at hand was not reasonably foreseeable.
Del Giudice addressed a certification motion arising from the defendant Thompson’s hacking of the database of personal information collected by the defendant banks and financial institutions and held on the servers of the defendant Amazon Web. As a consequence of this data breach, personal and confidential information of 106 million applicants for Capital One credit cards was exposed or became vulnerable to exposure to the public.
Among their claims, the plaintiffs sought to certify causes of action against Amazon Web in negligence and breach of a duty to warn of the risk of the data breach perpetrated by Thompson. [ 84 ] In addressing the foreseeability of the harm suffered by the proposed class members, the Court relied on Rankin (Rankin’s Ranch & Sales) v JJ , 2018 SCC 19 [ Rankin ], in which the Supreme Court considered the foreseeability of personal injury resulting from an unlicensed and inebriated minor operating a motor vehicle after stealing it from the defendant’s garage.
The Supreme Court accepted that the evidence could establish, as the jury found, that the defendant ought to have known of the risk of theft. However, the Court concluded that it did not automatically flow from evidence of the risk of theft in general that the garage owner should have considered the risk of physical injury. Rather, physical injury was foreseeable only if there was something in the facts to suggest not only a risk of theft, but that the stolen vehicle might be operated in a dangerous manner (at para 34).
[ 85 ] Del Giudice drew a parallel between the personal injury claim in Rankin and the claim against Amazon Web, concluding that, while Amazon Web could have foreseen the possibility of data it was storing being stolen and misused, that did not make the resulting harm a reasonably foreseeable consequence of its alleged carelessness (at para 241).
In arriving at that conclusion, the Court reasoned that the wrong suffered by the class members was the data breach perpetrated by Thompson, which was not connected to a wrong perpetrated by Amazon Web. [ 86 ] In my view, the reasoning in Del Giudice is not particularly compelling. I appreciate that, in both Rankin and Del Giudice , there was another party (respectively, the car thief and Thompson) who was the immediate cause of the harm. However, I have difficulty with the parallel that Del Giudice draws with Rankin .
As the Supreme Court reasoned in Rankin , the theft of property does not automatically translate into anticipation that the stolen property will be operated in a dangerous manner so as to cause personal injury (at para 34).
However, Del Giudice does not explain why, in the case of a data breach, the risk of unauthorized use of data by the bad actor who wrongfully accessed it, presumably for personal gain, and the attendant harm to its owner should be regarded as similarly unanticipated. [ 87 ] I agree with the Plaintiff’s submission that, considering the authorities that analyse foreseeability in the context of a data breach, the reasoning of the Supreme Court of British Columbia in Tucci v Peoples Trust Company , 2017 BCSC 1525 , [ Tucci ] (upheld on this point in Tucci v Peoples Trust Company , 2020 BCCA 246 [ Tucci BCCA ]) is the more persuasive.
Tucci addressed a certification motion in an action alleging that the defendant trust company did not adequately secure personal information collected on its online application portal and stored in online databases. The plaintiff asserted causes of action, including negligence, alleging that unauthorized persons were able to access the personal information, putting the proposed class members at risk of identity theft and other harms.
In applying the first stage of the Anns/ Cooper test, including the foreseeability element, the Supreme Court of British Columbia held as follows (at para 123): 123 In my view it is not plain and obvious that the first stage of the Anns/ Cooper test is not met. The plaintiff has pleaded sufficient facts capable of establishing that harm was reasonably foreseeable. The information collected by Peoples Trust was sensitive and collected in the course of online applications for financial services.
It is arguably reasonably foreseeable that harm such as identity theft could result if such information were disclosed or not securely stored, and it was again arguably foreseeable to Peoples Trust given the various policies and contractual terms it developed.
Further, the plaintiff has pleaded sufficient facts that could establish a close and direct relationship between Peoples Trust and individuals who applied to it for financial services. [ 88 ] Tucci BCCA upheld this component of the analysis, concluding that the allegations of negligence were arguably sufficient at law to create a relationship giving rise to a duty of care, such that it was not plain and obvious at the certification stage of the proceeding that a negligence claim cannot succeed (at para 51). [ 89 ] In the case at hand, the Plaintiff has pleaded that the online Government accounts of the proposed Class Members, which were the subject of the data breaches, contain detailed personal and financial information, including financial records, notices of assessment, banking information, information on income, disabilities, children, relationship status and investments, and information related to EI, immigration status, CPP and OAS.
The Plaintiff also pleads that that the Defendant has policies and guidance on cybersecurity, which serve to impose responsibilities upon the Defendant and to which it failed to adhere.
As in Tucci , I find that it is arguably reasonably foreseeable that that the proposed Class Members would suffer the categories of harm alleged by the Plaintiff as a result of the data breaches. (iii) Proximity [ 90 ] Still in connection with the first stage of the Anns/ Cooper test, the Defendant also submits that the Plaintiff has not shown that proximity exists between the proposed Class Members and the Defendant such as would make it just to impose a duty of care in the circumstances of this case.
As noted above, Edwards explains at paragraph 9 that the starting point for this analysis is to determine whether there are analogous categories of cases in which proximity has previously been recognized. The Plaintiff argues that Tucci is such a case, as are John Doe v Canada , 2015 FC 916 [ John Doe ], Condon FCA , and Obodo v Trans Union of Canada, Inc , 2021 ONSC 7297 [ Obodo ].
The Defendant responds that these are all decisions on certification motions and therefore do not represent authority for the recognition of the requisite proximity and the resulting duty of care. [ 91 ] John Doe addressed a certification motion in which the plaintiffs pleaded that the defendant Government identified them as participants in the Marijuana Medical Access Program by sending letters to them through the mail that identified that Program as the return address.
In concluding that the proceeding should be certified, Justice Phelan held that the plaintiffs had adequately pleaded the requisite elements of negligence, including the duty of care, and that these pleadings were sufficient for purposes of the motion (at paras 33-36). John Doe was upheld on this point in Canada v John Doe , 2016 FCA 191 [ John Doe FCA ]. [ 92 ] Logically, I agree with the Plaintiff that, in order for the cause of action in negligence to have been certified in John Doe , the Court must have concluded that the requisite proximity existed.
However, the decision contains no express analysis of this point, as it appears that the defendant was not arguing a lack of proximity.
Moreover, John Doe is not a cybersecurity case, and its facts , in which it was the Government itself that was alleged to have disclosed personal information, without any involvement by a third-party bad actor, are sufficiently different from those in the case at hand that I have difficulty treating it as an analogous case in which proximity has previously been recognized. [ 93 ] In Condon FCA ¸ the Federal Court of Appeal allowed an appeal from Condon v Canada , 2014 FC 250 [ Condon ], which had concluded that it was plain and obvious that a claim in negligence would fail.
Condon involved a motion to certify a class proceeding against the Government resulting from its loss of an external hard drive on which it stored the personal information of participants in the Canada Student Loans Program.
While the Federal Court certified the proceeding based on other causes of action, it accepted the defendant’s position that the plaintiffs had failed to raise sufficient arguments as to the existence of compensable damages and therefore concluded that it was plain and obvious that a proposed claim based on negligence would fail (at paras 68 and 79). [ 94 ] In Condon FCA , the Federal Court of Appeal held at paragraphs 15 to 18 that the Federal Court had erred by evaluating the evidence in concluding that the plaintiffs had not suffered any compensable damages and by failing to consider the pleaded claims for
costs incurred in preventing identity theft and out-of-pocket expenses. As with John Doe , there is no express proximity analysis, as the defendant does not appear to have raised proximity as an impediment to certification, and the facts are sufficiently different from the present case that I would not regard Condon FCA as an analogous case in which proximity has previously been recognized. [ 95 ] Unlike John Doe and Condon , Obodo is a cybersecurity case, arising from a large-scale intrusion by unknown and unauthorized persons into the database of the defendant Trans Union.
The hackers accessed the credit profiles of 37,444 individuals whose financial information was held by Trans Union. However, while challenging certification of the plaintiff’s negligence claim on other bases related to the categories of damages claimed, Trans Union acknowledged that the claim disclosed facts sufficient to establish a breach of a duty of care (at paras 116-118).
As such, Obodo does not provide any analysis of proximity. [ 96 ] However, as reflected in paragraph 123 of Tucci , the Plaintiff is correct that in that case the Supreme Court of British Columbia found the required proximity, in that sufficient facts had been pleaded to establish a close and direct relationship between Peoples Trust and individuals who applied to it for financial services. As previously noted, the Court of Appeal for British Columbia agreed with this conclusion.
As I read Tucci, the Court based its conclusion on pleaded facts to the effect that individuals applied to Peoples Trust for financial services and, in doing so, provided it with their sensitive financial information. [ 97 ] In the case at hand, the Plaintiff similarly bases his proximity arguments on the fact that he and the proposed Class Members had applied or registered for the Government’s secure portals.
The Plaintiff submits that the requisite proximity is found in the relationship between Government entities who have offered online access to data and individuals who have availed themselves of that access and created profiles in the expectation that their personal and financial information would be kept secure. [ 98 ] The Defendant acknowledges that one of the situations in which sufficient proximity may exist, for a government to owe a private law duty of care to an individual plaintiff, is where there have been specific interactions between the government and the individual (see R v Imperial Tobacco Canada Limited , 2011 SCC 42 [ Imperial Tobacco ] at para 45 ).
However, the Defendant argues that the Plaintiff has not pleaded facts that would support a finding of proximity on this basis. [ 99 ] In response to this argument, the Plaintiff submits that the Third SOC identifies that he had a CRA online account that was breached and expressly defines the proposed Class as persons whose personal or financial information in their online Government accounts was disclosed to a third party. The Plaintiff has also provided in draft a Fourth SOC, which he seeks leave to file in the event the amendments therein are necessary to respond to the Defendant’s argument.
These amendments include a more express statement that the Plaintiff had an online account with CRA and that he signed up for and used the CRA My Account, to the mutual benefit of himself and the Defendant, the latter gaining benefit by automating functions that otherwise would require increased staffing and expense. [ 100 ] In my view, the pleaded facts in the Third SOC, as identified in the Plaintiff’s submission, sufficiently assert a basis for proximity consistent with that recognized in Tucci .
I am conscious of the Defendant’s argument that, as Tucci is a certification decision, it does not represent authority for past recognition of the requisite proximity in an analogous case as contemplated by the Anns/ Cooper test.
The Defendant also submits that the certification of negligence as a common issue does not preclude a defendant from arguing at a common issues trial that it does not owe a duty of care, including that no proximity exists with class members or that a duty could be negated by policy considerations. [ 101 ] I agree with the Defendant’s submission that these defence arguments would remain available to it at trial, notwithstanding success by the Plaintiff in certifying his action.
Indeed, the Plaintiff does not disagree with the Defendant’s position on this point, which naturally follows from the fact that the Court’s conclusion on certification is only that it is not plain and obvious that the pleading discloses no reasonable cause of action.
Tucci found that it was not plain and obvious that the first stage of the Anns/ Cooper test was not met, and I consider that finding sufficient authority for a comparable finding in the case at hand. [ 102 ] In so concluding, I am also conscious of the fact that Tucci involved a claim against a private sector defendant, and I acknowledge the Defendant’s argument that, because of the breadth of public bodies’ involvement in the collection of personal and financial information, imposing a duty of care to protect against unintended disclosures through cyber security incidents raises policy concerns of indeterminate liability.
However, I consider that argument to be best addressed in the second stage of the Anns/ Cooper test, and will do so later in these Reasons. [ 103 ] Even if I were to conclude that Tucci is not sufficient authority for satisfaction of the first stage of the test, making it necessary for the Court to consider, without the benefit of previous authority, whether the Defendant was in a close and direct relationship to the Plaintiff and the proposed Class Members such that it is just to impose a novel duty of care in the circumstances, I would still find the first stage of the Anns/ Cooper test to be met on the facts pleaded in this action.
The Third SOC identifies the Plaintiff and the proposed Class as persons with online Government accounts containing personal and financial information. As previously noted, the Plaintiff argues that the requisite proximity arises from the relationship between Government entities who have offered online access to data and individuals who have availed themselves of that access and created profiles in the expectation that their personal and financial information would be kept secure.
In my view, this is a reasonably arguable position, such that it is not plain and obvious to me that the first stage of the Anns/ Cooper test is not met. [ 104 ] Before finishing with the first stage of the test, I will briefly address the Plaintiff’s request for leave to file the Fourth SOC, which accompanied his Reply Memorandum of Fact and Law. I understand that request to be an alternative position, if necessary to respond to the Defendant’s argument that the Third SOC does not plead facts sufficient to establish the requisite proximity.
As I have found the Third SOC sufficient, I need not consider whether leave should be granted to make the amendments proposed in the Fourth SOC. [ 105 ] Moreover, I am conscious of the Defendant’s argument in resisting the Plaintiff’s request for leave. By Order dated November 2, 2021 [Case Management Order], Associate Justice Ring ordered that a case management teleconference be requisitioned if the Plaintiff intended to make any further amendments to the Statement of Claim prior to the hearing of the certification motion. This was to ensure the proposed amendments and their impact on the litigation
schedule could be discussed with the Court. The Defendant correctly asserts that the Plaintiff did not comply with the requirement in the Case Management Order. With the exception of an amendment to the proposed Class definition, which I will address later in these Reasons, I therefore decline to grant the Plaintiff leave to file its
amendment. If, following the issuance of this certification decision, the Plaintiff considers that a pleading amendment remains necessary, he can seek leave through the case management process. (iv) Policy Considerations [ 106 ] I therefore turn to the second stage of the Anns/ Cooper test. In taking the position that there are applicable policy considerations that should serve to negate a duty of care, the Defendant first relies on the principle that a duty of care should not be found in connection with a core policy decision.
As explained in Nelson (City) v Marchi , 2021 SCC 41 at paragraph 44 , courts should not interfere with policy decisions, as this would represent second-guessing the decisions of democratically elected government officials. In Imperial Tobacco at paragraph 90 , the Supreme Court concluded that core policy government decisions are decisions as to a course or principle of action that are based on public policy considerations, such as economic, social and political factors.
These are protected from suit provided they are neither irrational nor taken in bad faith. [ 107 ] The Defendant submits that it is clear from the Plaintiff’s pleadings that his allegations essentially amount to a criticism of the Government’s core policy decision to use existing systems to roll out the CERB and other COVID relief benefits at the beginning of the pandemic.
In support of this argument, the Defendant refers to the Plaintiff’s pleading as including the following: A . that the timing of the first data breach correlated with the Government’s introduction of the CERB program and the breaches continued through the period that COVID benefits were being offered; B . that the online application system for CERB and CESB was implemented hastily and recklessly without taking necessary precautions to protect the Plaintiff’s and Class Members’ personal and financial information in their online Government accounts; C . that the Defendant ought to have known that its databases and online systems were vulnerable to unauthorized breaches and failed to take timely and reasonable protective measures both before and after launching the online CERB and CESB programs; and D . that CRA was aware of an increase in fraudulent activity at the beginning of each monthly CERB and CESB period and generally during the time at issue but did nothing to notify or warn the Plaintiff. [ 108 ] The Defendant submits that the Government’s decision to use existing systems to deliver COVID relief benefits achieved its intention of Canadians having broad accessibility to apply for and receive the benefits rapidly.
The Defendant argues that this decision is therefore one of core policy, which is immune from liability. [ 109 ] In response, the Plaintiff submits that, far from criticizing this decision, he considers it an admirable goal on the part of the Government to quickly deliver benefits to those in need.
The Plaintiff argues that his allegations focus not on this decision but on what he asserts were inadequate security protocols in place for those Canadians who had elected to register for online services with CRA and other government accounts, expecting that their personal or financial information would be secure. [ 110 ] I do not find the Defendant’s argumen