LES INNUS DE UASHAT MAK MANI-UTENAM, LES INNUS DE MATIMEKUSH LAC-JOHN, LES INNUS D'EKUANITSHIT, LES INNUS D'UNAMEN SHIPU, LES INNUS DE PAKUA SHIPI Appellants v. HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN IN RIGHT OF, 2016 FCA 156
Opinion
Date: 20160519 Docket: A-277-15 Citation: 2016 FCA 156 Montréal, Quebec, May 19, 2016 CORAM: GAUTHIER J.A. TRUDEL J.A. SCOTT J.A. BETWEEN: LES INNUS DE UASHAT MAK MANI-UTENAM, LES INNUS DE MATIMEKUSH LAC-JOHN, LES INNUS D'EKUANITSHIT, LES INNUS D'UNAMEN SHIPU, LES INNUS DE PAKUA SHIPI Appellants and HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN IN RIGHT OF CANADA AND THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR Respondents Heard at Montréal, Quebec, on May 19, 2016. Judgment delivered from the Bench at Montreal, Quebec, on May 19, 2016.
REASONS FOR JUDGMENT OF THE COURT BY: TRUDEL J.A Date : 20160519 Dossier : A-277-15 Référence : 2016 CAF 156 Montréal ( Québec), le 19 mai 2016 CORAM: LA JUGE GAUTHIER LA JUGE TRUDEL LE JUGE SCOTT ENTRE : LES INNUS DE UASHAT MAK MANI-UTENAM, LES INNUS DE MATIMEKUSH LAC-JOHN, LES INNUS D'EKUANITSHIT, LES INNUS D'UNAMEN SHIPU, LES INNUS DE PAKUA SHIPI appelants et SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE DU CHEF DU CANADA ET LE PROCUREUR GÉNÉRAL DE TERRE- NEUVE-ET-LABRADOR intimés Audience tenu à Montréal (Québec) le 19 mai 2016. Jugement rendu à l’audience à Montréal (Québec) le 19 mai 2016.
MOTIFS DU JUGEMENT DE LA COUR : LA JUGE TRUDEL
Date: 20160519 Docket: A-277-15 Citation: 2016 FCA 156 Montréal, Quebec, May 19, 2016 CORAM: GAUTHIER J.A. TRUDEL J.A. SCOTT J.A. BETWEEN: LES INNUS DE UASHAT MAK MANI-UTENAM, LES INNUS DE MATIMEKUSH LAC-JOHN, LES INNUS D'EKUANITSHIT, LES INNUS D'UNAMEN SHIPU, LES INNUS DE PAKUA SHIPI Appellants and HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN IN RIGHT OF CANADA AND THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR Respondents REASONS FOR JUDGMENT OF THE COURT (Delivered from the Bench at Montréal, Quebec, on May 19, 2016) TRUDEL J.A.
Date : 20160519 Dossier : A-277-15 Référence : 2016 CAF 156 Montréal (Québec), le 19 mai 2016 CORAM: LA JUGE GAUTHIER LA JUGE TRUDEL LE JUGE SCOTT ENTRE : LES INNUS DE UASHAT MAK MANI-UTENAM, LES INNUS DE MATIMEKUSH LAC-JOHN, LES INNUS D'EKUANITSHIT, LES INNUS D'UNAMEN SHIPU, LES INNUS DE PAKUA SHIPI appelants et SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE DU CHEF DU CANADA ET LE PROCUREUR GÉNÉRAL DE TERRE- NEUVE-ET-LABRADOR intimés MOTIFS DU JUGEMENT DE LA COUR (Prononcés à l’audience à Montréal (Québec) le 19 mai 2016.
LA JUGE TRUDEL [1] The appellants, all Innu from Québec, are appealing a judgment of the Federal Court by Gagné J. (the Judge) wherein she stayed their action seeking declaratory and injunctive relief against Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Canada (Canada) in relation to an agreement in principle entered into between Canada, Newfoundland and Labrador, and the Labrador Innu.
The judgment of the Federal Court is cited as 2015 FC 687 . [2] The appellants claim that this agreement in principle and the final agreement to come, if it is concluded without their consent, violate their Aboriginal and treaty rights with respect to territory within Labrador. [3] Exercising her discretion under paragraph 50(1) (
b) of the Federal Courts Act , R.S.C. 1985, c. F-7 (the Act), the Judge stayed the appellants’ action. Specifically, she found that the essence of the appellants’ claims was directed against the province of Newfoundland and Labrador and the Labrador Innu. They are essential parties to the dispute and the Federal Court lacks the jurisdiction to issue orders against a province. [4] As a result, she determined it was in the interest of justice to allow the entire action to be pursued in the Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador rather than to strike the action in part.
It would be contrary to the interests of justice to allow the continuation of a distorted action before the Federal [ 1 ] Les appelants sont des Innus du Québec. Ils se portent en appel d’un jugement de la Cour fédérale, sous la plume de la juge Gagné (la Juge), suspendant leur action par laquelle ils recherchent des conclusions de nature déclaratoire, incluant une ordonnance d’injonction permanente à l’encontre de Sa Majesté la Reine du Chef du Canada (Canada).
Entre autres, les conclusions recherchées visent une entente de principe conclue entre le Canada, la province de Terre-Neuve-et- Labrador et les Innus du Labrador. On retrouve le jugement et les motifs de la Cour fédérale sous la citation 2015 CF 687 . [ 2 ] Selon les appelants, cette entente de principe et l’entente finale à venir, si cette dernière est conclue sans leur consentement, violent leurs droits ancestraux et issus de traités à l’égard de terres se trouvant sur le territoire du Labrador. [3] Exerçant la discrétion que lui confère l’ alinéa 50(1)
b) de la
Loi sur les Cours fédérales , L.R.C. 1985, c. F-7 (la Loi), la Juge a suspendu l’action des appelants. Plus précisément, elle a conclu que l’essence des revendications des appelants tourne autour du litige entre ceux-ci et les Innus du Labrador et la province de Terre-Neuve-et-Labrador. Le litige ne peut se régler sans ces parties et la Cour fédérale n’a pas compétence pour rendre des ordonnances contre une province. [4] Ainsi, elle a conclu que les intérêts de la justice seraient mieux servis si l’action des appelants,
Court where the only issues at play would be the federalCrown’s duty to consult and accommodate (Judge’sreasons at paragraph 25). [5] The appellants raise several issues, rangingfrom the applicable standard of review to thecharacterization of their action before the Federal Court.As they had done below at the hearing of therespondents’ motion for an order granting a stay of theproceeding, they argue that they are simply seeking tohave the federal Crown’s constitutional duty to consultand accommodate recognized.
Once this is done, itfollows that the agreement in principle is invalid asCanada, being in breach of its obligations, could notsign it. Thus, the Judge erred when she decided to staythe proceeding. Moreover, the Judge erred in hercharacterization of the appellants’ action, an errorwhich tainted the exercise of her discretion. As a result,this error would be reviewable on a standard ofcorrectness. [6] At the hearing of this appeal, the appellantssuggested that their statement of claim could beamended in order to remove the allegations that do notpertain to the Crown’s duty to consult andaccommodate.
The Judge alluded to that possibility; yetwe are here, hearing this appeal on the originalstatement of claim. [7] In our view, this is not a case aboutjurisdiction and the Judge did not err in characterizingthe action, including paragraphs 1, 3, 5, and 7 of thestatement of claim to which the appellants drew theCourt’s attention. The ultimate issue is straightforward:whether the Judge inappropriately exercised herdiscretion in staying the proceeding before the FederalCourt. Our answer is no.
We are all of the view that thisappeal should be dismissed. [8] Having carefully examined the appellants’Statement of Claim in the Federal Court, we agree withthe Judge that the majority of the claims, if granted,could impact the rights of the Innu of Labrador andthose of Newfoundland and Labrador; the Federal Courtlacks jurisdiction to grant a remedy against a province(Joe v. Canada, (SCC), [1986] 2S.C.R. 145, A.C.W.S. (3d) 424; Vollant v. Canada,2009 FCA 185, 393 N.R. 183).
In this vein, at thehearing of this appeal, the appellants conceded thatsome of the remedies sought would impact the province– hence, their submissions with regards to a possibleamendment, as discussed above. [9] It is trite law that a constitutional issueshould not be heard in a vacuum and, we would add,without all the parties necessary to resolve it (Danson v.Ontario (Procureur Général), [1990] 2. S.C.R. 1086, atpage 1101, (SCC), 73 D.L.R. (4th)686). The constitutional obligations of the federalCrown to consult and to accommodate are linked hereto an agreement in principle concerning lands situatedin Labrador.
The Judge was right to conclude that theinterests of justice do not favor the continuation of adistorted action.
As well, we note that parallel recoursescould very well lead to contradictory or irreconcilableoutcomes with respect to the issue of the appellants’consultation, which could engage both the federalCrown and the province. [10] It cannot be said that the Judge did notappropriately exercise her jurisdiction by allowing theaction to be heard in its entirety in Newfoundland andLabrador before a court that is properly seized of plutôt que d’être radiée en partie, était entendue par laCour suprême de Terre-Neuve-et-Labrador.
Il n’y avaitpas lieu de permettre la continuation en Cour fédéraled’un recours dénaturé en ne conservant que les alléguésportant sur le devoir de consulter et d’accommoder dela Couronne fédérale (motifs de la Juge, au paragraphe25). [5] Les appelants soulèvent plusieurs points enlitige, allant de la norme de contrôle applicable à laqualification du recours intenté par eux devant la Courfédérale. Comme ils l’avaient fait en première instance,ils font remarquer qu’ils ne cherchent qu’à fairereconnaître l’obligation constitutionnelle de laCouronne fédérale de les consulter et de lesaccommoder.
Cette obligation reconnue, il s’ensuit quel’entente de principe est nulle puisque la Couronnefédérale est en défaut de ses obligations. Ainsi, la Jugen’aurait pas dû suspendre l’action. De plus, la Juge aerronément qualifié leur recours et il s’agirait d’uneerreur de droit viciant l’exercice de sa discrétion. Donc,c’est la norme de contrôle correcte qui s’appliquer. [6] A l’audition de cet appel, les appelantsajoutent que leur déclaration pourrait être amendée desorte de n’y laisser que les remèdes visant l’obligationde la Couronne de consulter et d’accommoder.
La Jugea évoqué cette possibilité et pourtant, nous sommes icientendant cet appel sur la foi de la déclaration originale. [7] Selon nous, cet appel ne porte pas sur lajuridiction de la Cour fédérale et la Juge n’a pas erré enqualifiant le recours des appelants, même en tenantcompte des paragraphes 1, 3, 5, et 7 sur lesquels ils ontinsisté. La question en litige déterminante est celle desavoir si la Juge a erré dans l’exercice de sa discrétionqui l’a amenée à suspendre l’action devant la Courfédérale. Nous répondons à cette question par lanégative.
Nous sommes tous d’avis que cet appel doitêtre rejeté. [8] Un examen attentif de la procédureintroductive des appelants nous convainc que la Juge aeu raison de conclure que la presque totalité desconclusions recherchées par les demandeurs, si ellesétaient accordées, auraient un impact sur les droits desInnus du Labrador et sur ceux de Terre-Neuve-et-Labrador; et que la Cour fédérale n’a pas compétencepour rendre des ordonnances contre le gouvernementd’une province (Joe c. Canada, (SCC),[1986] 2 R.C.S. 145, 2 A.C.W.S. (3d) 424; Vollant c.Canada, 2009 CAF 185, 393 N.R. 183).
À cet égard, àl’audition de cet appel, les appelants ont concédé quecertains des remèdes recherchés auraient un impact surla province d’où leurs propos relatés antérieurementrelativement à un amendement possible du recours. [9] Il est bien établi en droit qu’une questionconstitutionnelle ne doit pas être envisagée dans le videet, ajouterions-nous, sans toutes les parties nécessairespour la résoudre (Danson c. Ontario (ProcureurGénéral), [1990] 2. R.C.S. 1086, à la page 1101, (SCC), 73 D.L.R. (4th) 686).
Ici, l’obligationconstitutionnelle de la Couronne fédérale de consulteret d’accommoder est liée à l’entente de principe quiporte sur des terres situées au Labrador. La Juge a euraison de conclure que la continuation d’une actiondénaturée ne servirait pas les intérêts de la justice. Nousnotons aussi le danger que des recours parallèlesmènent à des jugements contradictoires ouirréconciliables en regard de la question de laconsultation des appelants, laquelle question pourraits’adresser autant à la Couronne fédérale qu’à la
DOCKET: a-277-15 STYLE OF CAUSE: LES INNUS DE UASHAT MAK MANI-UTENAM, LES INNUS DE MATIMEKUSH LAC- JOHN, LES INNUS D'EKUANITSHIT, LES INNUS D'UNAMEN SHIPU, LES INNUS DE PAKUA SHIPI V.
HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN IN RIGHT OF CANADA AND THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR PLACE OF HEARING: MONTREAL, QUEBEC DATE OF HEARING: mAY 19, 2016 REASONS FOR JUDGMENT OF THE COURT BY: gauthier j.a. trudel j.a. scott j.a. jurisdiction to hear the appellants’ claims (as currently drafted) in their entirety, rather than hearing a modified, decontextualized version of the action stripped down to the elements that fit within the Federal Court’s jurisdiction. [11] In sum, we have not been persuaded that the Judge misapplied paragraph 50(1) (
b) of the Act . [12] Finally, we need not address the issue of whether the Judge erred in stating that the evidence appeared to show that the appellants were consulted in respect of the negotiation of the agreement in principle. The appellants accept that this remark is immaterial to the question of whether or not the whole matter should be heard in the Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Questions with respect to the consultation can be argued on the merits. [13] For the foregoing reasons, the appeal is dismissed without costs to Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Canada but with costs set at the amount of $5,000, inclusive of tax and disbursements, in favour of the Attorney General of Newfoundland and Labrador. province. [10] Nous ne pouvons affirmer que la Juge a erré dans l’exercice de sa discrétion en suspendant l’action pour permettre aux appelants de débattre de l’ensemble de leurs revendications (telles que formulées présentement) devant la Cour suprême de Terre-Neuve- et-Labrador plutôt que de permettre que le dossier continue devant la Cour fédérale sur la foi d’une déclaration tronquée ne tenant qu’aux éléments qui relèvent de la juridiction de la Cour fédérale et dont on a retiré
partie de son contexte. [11] Somme toute, nous n’avons pas été persuadés que la Juge s’est méprise dans son application de l’ alinéa 50(1)
b) de la Loi . [12] Enfin, il n’est pas nécessaire de se pencher sur la question de savoir si la Juge a erré en mentionnant que la preuve laissait transparaître que les appelants avaient été consultés dans le cadre de la négociation de l’entente de principe. Les appelants admettent que cette observation de la Juge n’affecte en rien sa décision de suspendre l’action afin de permettre qu’elle soit entendue par la Cour suprême de Terre- Neuve-et-Labrador.
Les questions relatives à la consultation peuvent être débattues au fond. [13] Pour ces motifs, l’appel sera rejeté sans frais quant à Sa Majesté la Reine du Chef du Canada mais avec dépens fixés au montant de 5 000$, incluant les taxes et débours en faveur du Procureur Général de Terre-Neuve-et-Labrador. « Johanne Trudel » j.c.a. / J.A. FEDERAL COURT OF APPEAL
DELIVERED FROM THE BENCH BY: TRUDEL J.A. APPEARANCES : James O’Reilly, Ad.E. for the APPELLANTS LES INNUS DE UASHAT MAK MANI-UTENAM Jean-Paul Lacasse for the appellants LES INNUS DE MATIMEKUSH LAC-JOHN, LES INNUS D'EKUANITSHIT, LES INNUS D'UNAMEN SHIPU François Lévesque for the appellants LES INNUS DE PAKUA SHIPI Eric R.
Gingras for the respondent HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN IN RIGHT OF CANADA Maxime Faille Guy Régimbald for the respondent theattorney general of newfoundland and labrador SOLICITORS OF RECORD : O’Reilly & Associés Montréal (Québec) for the appellants LES INNUS DE UASHAT MAK MANI-UTENAM Jean-François Bertrand Avocats Inc. (Québec) (Québec) for the appellants LES INNUS DE UASHAT MAK MANI-UTENAM Me Jean-Paul Lacasse Ottawa (Ontario) for the APPELlANTS LES INNUS DE MATIMEKUSH LAC-JOHN, LES INNUS D’EKUANITSHIT, LES INNUS D’UNAMEN SHIPU Lévesque Baillargé Société Nominale d’Avocats (Quebec) (Quebec) for the APPELlANTS LES INNUS DE PAKUA SHIPI William F.
Pentney Ottawa (Ontario) for the respondent HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN IN RIGHT OF CANADA Gowling Lafleur Henderson LLP Ottawa (Ontario) for the respondent THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR