R. v. McInnis, 2017 NSCA 79
Opinion
Nova Scotia Court of Appeal Citation: R. v. McInnis, 2017 NSCA 79 Date: 20170928 Docket: CAC 458474 Registry: Halifax Between: Jeremy McInnis Appellant v. Her Majesty the Queen Respondent Judge: The Honourable Justice Jamie W.S. SaundersAppeal Heard: September 13, 2017, in Halifax, Nova ScotiaSubject: Possession of a Prohibited Weapon (s. 91(2)) and Possessing a Prohibited Weapon for thePurpose of Transfer (s. 100(3) of the Criminal Code of Canada, R.S.C. 1985, c. C-46). Principlesof Sentencing. “Defence” of Officially Induced Error.
Proper Method of Applying the Kienappleprinciple ( (SCC), [1975] 1 S.C.R. 729) when calculating the number of convictionsin order to enter a conditional stay with respect to alternative, lesser, charges.
Summary: Acting on a tip, police placed a flea market in Dartmouth under surveillance. The appellant wasarrested and charged with a variety of offences involving the possession and possession for thepurpose of transfer of assorted knives and devices said to conceal knives. After trial in the ProvincialCourt he was acquitted on all charges relating to “spring torque” or “centrifugal” knives, but convictedon all charges relating to “bullet knives” and “walking sticks/canes” knives.
Following conviction, theappellant was sentenced to a 3-month custodial sentence to be served with conditions in thecommunity, concurrent to the possession for the purpose of transfer offences, and a fine on each of thepossession charges. He appealed both his convictions and his sentence. Result: The appeal against convictions was dismissed. The trial judge did not err in her evaluation of theevidence or her
interpretation and application of the law to the issues before her. Her findings andinferences drawn from those findings were fully supported on the evidence. She was fully justified infinding that the characteristics of these weapons caused them to fall within the definition of aprohibited weapon. Neither did the judge err in rejecting the appellant’s claim to be excused on account of officiallyinduced error.
She found that some of his inquiries post-dated these offences, and that he had notreasonably relied upon any erroneous legal opinion or advice given by any official responsible for theadministration or enforcement of that law. A bare assertion that certain items had “passed throughcustoms” could hardly support the claimed exemption. In crafting a fit and proper sentence, the judge applied appropriate sentencing principles. She carefullycalibrated the aggravating and mitigating circumstances.
She addressed proportionality, consideredindividual sentences, and then applied concurrency to reach the right global sentence. Her onlymistake was in failing to correctly apply the Kienapple principle to the offences for which theappellant was convicted. Once the appellant was convicted on the possession for the purpose oftransferring prohibited weapons charges, his convictions for possession ought to have beenconditionally stayed. The appellant’s proposed methodology for “whittling down” the number of convictions was rejected.
In the result, the appeal was allowed, in part, to the extent of staying the 11 convictions for the lesseroffences of possession. This meant setting aside the fine that had been levied for those lesseroffences. However, the slight modification of the trial judge’s order did not change the length of theappellant’s sentence. This information sheet does not form part of the court’s judgment. Quotes must be from the judgment, not this cover sheet. The full courtjudgment consists of 8 pages.
Nova Scotia Court of Appeal Citation: R. v. McInnis , 2017 NSCA 79 Date: 20170928 Docket: CAC 458474 Registry: Halifax Between: Jeremy McInnis Appellant v. Her Majesty the Queen Respondent Judges: MacDonald, C.J.N.S., Saunders and Bourgeois, JJ.A.
Appeal Heard: September 13, 2017, in Halifax, Nova Scotia Held: Appeal allowed, in part, per reasons for judgment of Saunders, J.A.; MacDonald, C.J.N.S. and Bourgeois, J.A. concurring Counsel: Laura McCarthy, for the appellant Marian Fortune-Stone, Q.C., for the respondent Reasons for judgment: [ 1 ] Acting on a tip, police placed a flea-market in Dartmouth under surveillance, where it was thought that Mr. McInnis was selling items said to be prohibited weapons.
Further investigation led to a variety of charges against the appellant involving the purported possession, and possession for the purpose of transfer, of assorted knives and devices said to conceal knives. [ 2 ] In general terms, the items fell into three categories: so-called “spring torque” or “centrifugal” knives, of which there were twenty-one; so-called bullet knives where items that resembled Springfield 30-06 bullets contained a blade inside that pivoted on a rivet, of which there were nine; and two walking sticks/canes with, purportedly, “dog head” handles.
The head of the handle could be unscrewed, and once pulled out of the cane, the handle (attached perpendicular to the sharpened blade) might then serve as a push dagger. [ 3 ] Mr.
McInnis was tried in the Nova Scotia Provincial Court before the Honourable Judge Alanna Murphy on a 64 count Indictment which specified the following offences: a single count of carrying a concealed weapon, that being the knife he had clipped inside his pocket when arrested (s.90); 32 counts of possessing a prohibited weapon (s. 91(2)); and 31 counts of possessing a prohibited weapon for the purpose of transfer (s. 100(3)) of the Criminal Code of Canada , R.S.C. 1985, c.
C-46). [ 4 ] At trial, police officers testified as to the items they seized, their appearance, and the motion or mechanics required to open them for use. They were marked as exhibits and used to demonstrate their size and the action needed to deploy them. [ 5 ] Mr.
McInnis gave extensive testimony concerning his knowledge of knives, his purchasing the items through American distributors online as merchandise for his store, and his interactions with the Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA) and the RCMP as well as his own research in attempting to ensure that his commercial transactions were "legal". [ 6 ] His principal defences were that the seized items did not, either physically or operationally, meet the relevant statutory
definitions of weapons for which possession was prohibited, and that, in any event, his actions ought to be excused because he was a victim of officially induced error, having acquired an honest but erroneous belief that the knives were not prohibited, after reasonably relying upon inquiries made to authorities. [ 7 ] After considering all of the evidence and counsels’ submissions, Judge Murphy was not persuaded that either the knife Mr.
McInnis had in his possession at the time of his arrest, or the twenty-one "centrifugal" knives seized from his business, met the statutory criteria to qualify as prohibited knives. Accordingly, Judge Murphy acquitted Mr. McInnis on all counts relating to those items. That outcome is not the subject of appeal, and we need not concern ourselves with that assortment of weapons.
[8] The trial judge was satisfied that the characteristics of the two walking sticks would allow the blade, housed in the canes, tobe pushed with considerable force, because the handle was affixed perpendicular to the blade. She found that the characteristics of theweapon caused it to fall within the definition of prohibited weapon. It was not rendered "legal" simply because there might bealternative methods of grasping or using it. [9] Further, based on her observations and her findings concerning the function of the nine bullet knives, Judge Murphy wassatisfied that they too met the statutory definition.
The devices were less than 30 centimeters and were designed to conceal a knife orblade.
Murphy, J. recognized that the legislation's rationale was to prevent someone from being "caught unaware and placed at risk" andthat a bullet, in and of itself, was innocuous when not in or near a firearm. [10] Based on these findings, the judge convicted the appellant of 22 offences relating to possession, and possession for the purposeof transferring prohibited weapons, they being the two walking sticks and the nine bullet knives, contrary to s. 91(2) and s. 100(3)respectively. [11] Judge Murphy then considered and rejected Mr. McInnis's claim to be excused on account of officially induced error.
Shefound that some of his inquiries post-dated these offences, and that he had not reasonably relied upon any erroneous legal opinion oradvice given by any official responsible for the administration or enforcement of that law. A bare assertion that certain items had"passed through customs" could hardly support the claimed exemption. Accordingly, the judge decided that the appellant had no legalexcuse for committing the offences and that a stay was not warranted. [12] In the lead-up to sentencing Mr.
McInnis advanced a constitutional argument against the mandatory minimum sentence of oneyear, specified in s. 100(3). After receiving detailed written and oral submissions, Judge Murphy concluded that the one year minimumpenalty was grossly disproportionate to the circumstances of these offences and this offender.
The Crown did not pursue a s. 1 Charterjustification. [13] In proceeding to sentence, Murphy, J. accepted the Crown's recommendation, that being a 3-month custodial sentence to beserved with conditions in the community, concurrent to the s. 100(3) possession for the purpose of offences, and a fine of $30 on each ofthe s. 92(2) possessions for a total of $330. [14] Mr. McInnis now appeals both his conviction and his sentence. He says the judge made several significant factual and legalerrors. He asks us to overturn the convictions and substitute acquittals.
Alternatively, he asks that we stay certain convictions, or rendera lesser sentence, or send it back for a new sentence hearing. [15] Except in one particular, I am not persuaded by the appellant's challenge to either his convictions or his sentence. Respectfully,I see his complaints of alleged legal error, as dissatisfaction with the trial judge's factual findings and the inferences she reasonably drewfrom those facts. It is not our function to re-try the case.
Judge Murphy was in the best position to draw factual conclusions from herassessment of the evidence and her observations of the witnesses and exhibits at trial. [16] Having carefully considered the record and counsels’ submissions, I am satisfied that Judge Murphy did not err in herevaluation of the evidence or her
interpretation and application of the law to the issues before her. Neither can it be suggested that thepenalty she imposed was not a fit and proper sentence. She was thoroughly familiar with the facts. She considered, but voiced herdifficulty in accepting, the range of sentence proposed by the Crown. She carefully calibrated the aggravating and mitigatingcircumstances. She applied proper sentencing principles.
She addressed proportionality, considered individual sentences, and thenapplied concurrency to reach the right global sentence. [17] In my respectful view, her only mistake was failing to correctly apply the Kienapple principle to the offences for which Mr.McInnis was convicted (R. v. Kienapple, (SCC), [1975] 1 S.C.R. 729). The rule prohibits multiple convictions foroffences under the Criminal Code for what is really one criminal act, in circumstances where there is both sufficient proximity asbetween the facts, and as between the offences which form the basis of the charges.
Where Kienapple applies to preclude multipleconvictions for the same delict, the trial judge is obliged to enter a conviction on the more serious charge and enter a conditional staywith respect to the alternative, and lesser, charge: R. v. P. (D.W.), (SCC), [1989] 2 S.C.R. 3, 49 C.C.C. (3d) 417 (SCC);R. v. Terlecki (1983), 1983 ABCA 87 , 4 C.C.C. (3d) 522 (Alta.
C.A.), aff’d (SCC), [1985] 2 S.C.R. 483; R. v.Hammerling, (SCC), [1982] 2 S.C.R. 905 (S.C.C.)(per Lamer, J. concurring). [18] The Crown properly concedes that the convictions for possession under s. 91(2) ought to have been conditionally stayed, oncethe appellant was convicted on the possession for the purpose of transferring the prohibited weapons charges —that is the nine bulletknives and the two walking sticks (push daggers), pursuant to s. 100(3). To that limited extent, the appeal is allowed and an order willissue to that effect. This means that the fine of $330 is set aside.
If that fine has been paid, it must be refunded to the appellantforthwith. However, the slight modification I would make to the trial judge’s disposition will not affect the actual sentence the appellantmust serve. [19] Before concluding these reasons, there is one other point I wish to address. In her submissions at the appeal hearing, Ms.McCarthy, counsel for Mr. McInnes, asked us to apply Kienapple in a manner that would “whittle down” the appellant’s convictionsfrom twenty-two to two.
She reasoned that instead of basing the number of convictions on the total number of bullet knives (nine) andthe walking stick/cane knives (two) and then factoring in a conviction for both “simple possession” as well as possession for the purposeof transferring, which can be expressed in the formula (9+2=11x2=22), we should instead confine the appellant’s convictions to two, bytreating the box of nine bullet knives as “one”, and the two walking stick/cane knives as “one”.
This, she said, is because each of thenine bullet knives, and each of the two cane knives, was identical in every respect, to its comparative mate. [20] Ms. McCarthy presented some analogies to support her proposition. Suppose, for example, a drug trafficker were convicted ofpossessing cocaine for the purpose of trafficking. In that instance, she said the offender would not be convicted “for the number of bags”found in his/her possession, but rather the overall quantity and value of the drug seized at the time of arrest.
Similarly, she suggested thatif a person were found to be in possession of stolen property (let’s use a pilfered cargo container housing a dozen identical Italian racingbikes as an example) then the number of potential convictions faced by the accused would not, she said, be determined by the “number”
of stolen items (bicycles), but rather by the value of the items seized (i.e. possession of property obtained by crime where the valuethereof exceeds, or does not exceed, five thousand dollars, s. 355 of the Criminal Code). [21] Counsel for the appellant did not provide any authority for her proposed methodology. Nor, after searching, did I find any. [22] Respectfully, I would reject the appellant’s submission, largely for the reasons advanced by Ms. Fortune-Stone, on behalf of therespondent. First, based on the proven facts of this case, it is important to emphasise that Mr.
McInnis was involved in a commercialenterprise. He had all of these items on display, for sale. He hoped to sell nine bullet knives, not one; and two cane knives, not one. Further, the framing of the charges against the appellant was a matter for the Crown in the exercise of prosecutorial discretion. Therewas never a motion made on behalf of the appellant to “join” these various offences, nor any complaint challenging the propriety of themanner in which the Crown chose to prosecute the appellant.
Additionally, it would appear from the physical record before us, that hisappeal to this Court is the first time the appellant has proposed such an approach for calculating the number of convictions whengranting a stay (perhaps excepting a vague reference to the point by defence counsel during a brief appearance before the trial judge onSeptember 29, 2016, particulars of which were not included in the materials copied and filed by the appellant on appeal, nor mentionedby counsel on appeal).
One can hardly attribute error to a judge for failing to adopt and apply a submission that was never clearly put toher for consideration. [23] Finally, and perhaps most importantly, to accept the appellant’s invitation that we apply Kienapple in the fashion he proposeswould, in my view, turn on its head several long-established principles of sentencing and effectively gut the vast discretion available totrial judges when crafting a sentence that properly addresses the unique circumstances of the offence and the offender.
It would rendermeaningless a judge’s consideration of proportionality, range, culpability, totality and concurrency, in fashioning a proper sentence, ifdefence counsel could simply stand up and cite Kienapple as a basis for “whittling down” (in other words, ignoring) the real number ofconvictions, based on purported similarities between the prohibited items or things that formed the basis of the convictions in the firstplace. [24] To conclude on this point, I am not aware of any case or text authority that addresses the appellant’s proposed methodology.
Ihave summarized my reasons for rejecting it, which include my concern that to accept such a submission would be to perpetuate a fictionby effectively ignoring the true state of affairs and the fact that the Crown had secured proper convictions in its prosecution of theappellant. I find some support for my rejection of the appellant’s arguments in a decision of the Ontario Court of Appeal which hascertain parallels to this case. In R. v. Smith (1997), (ON CA), 119 C.C.C. (3d) 547, 36 O.R. (3d) 530, the appellanthad been acquitted at trial on a charge of public mischief.
At a subsequent trial, he was convicted on six counts of perjury (s. 131(1) ofthe Criminal Code) with respect to six lies he told during his testimony at the public mischief trial. The Ontario Court of Appeal allowedthe appeal on count six (a lie for which he was previously acquitted at his public mischief trial) citing res judicata, but dismissed theappeal on counts 1-5. The Court then released “Supplementary Reasons” to its decision, addressing the overlooked issue of whetherKienapple applied to stay four of the five remaining counts. It wrote: 1.
THE COURT - The appellant has properly brought to our attention that the reasons released on September 30, 1997, failed to dealwith the issue of multiple convictions. In our conference following argument we were agreed that we would not allow the appeal on thisground but then overlooked the issue as we concentrated upon the first ground of appeal. 2. The appellant relies upon what has been termed the rule against multiple convictions which protects a person from beingconvicted more than once for the same delict.
On the basis of our earlier decision he would now be arguing that four of the fiveconvictions should be set aside on the principles set out in R. v. Prince (1986), (SCC), 30 C.C.C. (3d) 35 (S.C.C.) at 43-6. 3. It is true that there is a factual nexus between these charges and a nexus between the offences in that the perjuries tie together to acontinuous story told for the single purpose of avoiding conviction for public mischief. 4. Nonetheless, each of the five charges is factually independent of the others. Proof of one does not prove another.
If oneconviction were to replace five pursuant to the rule against multiple convictions then, in these circumstances, it would be the same resultas if the Crown had failed to prove four of the counts. The appellant told five discrete lies under oath and neither he nor others should beencouraged to continue lying once they start because only one conviction will result. 5. There is potential for abuse in dividing perjured evidence into tiny bits of charges but I do not see any such indication here.
In thecourse of argument as to res judicata attempts were made to fit some or all of these counts under the umbrella of res judicata. In the endonly one of the six would fit. The uncertainty as to the scope of res judicata justified the separate charges and their relationship, each tothe others, was undoubtedly considered in the sentencing. 6 I would therefore not accede to this ground of appeal and would confirm the disposition of September 30, 1997. [Underlining mine] Conclusion [25] For all of these reasons I would uphold the 11 convictions for possession for the purpose of transferring, contrary to s. 100(3).
I would allow the appeal to the extent of staying the 11 convictions for the lesser offences of possession, contrary to s. 91(2). This willresult in setting aside the fine of $330 that had been levied for those lesser offences. My slight modification of Judge Murphy’s orderwill not change the length of the appellant’s sentence. Saunders, J.A.
Concurred in: MacDonald, C.J.N.S. Bourgeois, J.A.